Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Should I wait for Pioneer 1080p?

by dratner / July 6, 2007 11:26 PM PDT

Will I see a difference between the PDP5080HD 720p and the upcoming PDP5010 1080p (out in Sepember)? I think I will see a difference only on Bluray or HD as broadcast is only 720p. Should I just save money and buy the PDP 5080HD?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Depends
by 1piano / July 7, 2007 7:20 AM PDT

HEY... I just got a Pioneer Pdp4280HD, its the 42 inch 720p model..

My answer for you is it all matters on how FAR AWAY from the screen you are sitting. I am sitting about 9 to 10 feet away from my plasma in my bedroom so 1080p is not needed, and anyway there is no Pioneer 42 inch 1080p plasma.

If you are sitting more than about 8-10 feet away from the screen you dont need 1080p. The 1080p sets are also very expensive... I think about 1500 more?

Good Luck on the Plasma!

Collapse -
I don't think you would be dissapointed with the 720p model
by vjt110 / July 7, 2007 10:41 AM PDT

I just saw the 720p model on display at Best Buy and have
to say that it looked crisper than the 1080p models from
other makers. The image seemed to pop off the screen way
more than the 1080p models from Sony, Sharp and Samsung.
So I would say that the 720p Pioneer is better looking
than many other 1080p models if that is any consolation.
Hard to tell how the 1080p Pioneer will improve on the
720p model, but I can say that I was absolutly impressed
by the new Pioneers and believe the hype. It seemed to have
great video processing because their was no noise or artifacts
that I noticed and the other models such as the XBR3 suddenly
seemed to have distorted images when next to the Pioneer;
they had 1080p resolution.

If you want to save some cash the 720p model seems like it wouldn't
be a purchase that would be a regret.

Collapse -
I JUST PURCHASED A 720P/1080i 58" PANASONIC, NO REGRETS....
by Riverledge / July 7, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

NOT INTO GAMING OR DVDS (BLU-RAY or otherwise.) Just HD SPORTS and other HD feed from COMCAST.

Unless those things are of high-importance to you DON'T waste money on
PDP-5010, save a couple or grand.

River.

Collapse -
It should be stunning, but very pricey.
by NM_Bill / July 8, 2007 9:47 AM PDT

I am one of those who feels most folks should save money & get a nice 720 set. Serious gamers & those who very much want to enjoy high definition DVDs will think differently.

Manufacturers pushing new, expensive 1080 is a lot of hype. Sit farther than five feet from the set & you won't see the difference.

Small improvement for a lot of extra money in my opinion.

Collapse -
Good Points
by vjt110 / July 8, 2007 10:19 AM PDT

My 32 inch 1080p Sharp looks great when I pull a chair up and play Xbox 360 at about three feet, but when I sit back to watch programs it is hard to notice any improvement. In fact, I think that ABC's Lost is one of the best looking shows in HD and all ABC is only broadcast in 720p. Even 50 inches may be too small to justify 1080p resolution unless gaming. I think it would be hard to see an improvement when watching even Blu-Ray or HD-DVD from ten feet when compared to 1080i or 720p. 1080p is problaly only a must in 58 inch or larger screen sizes. It would look pretty goofy throwing a leather sofa only seven feet from a 50 inch set.

Collapse -
I HAVE TO AGREE WITH BILL.
by Riverledge / July 8, 2007 10:22 AM PDT

HERE'S A SUGGESTION. WHILE I'M AWARE, PIONEERS ARE NOT PANASONICS but maybe for the sake of judging the PIONEER Try this: have a salesperson set up a DEMO between PANASONIC's TH-50PX77U (720p) and PANNY's TH-50PZ700U (1080p.) If they have a TH-50PZ750U, use it

Can you see difference? Have a buyer friendly salesperson also point the differences between sets. I know you're planning on an over-priced PIO; but do the 720p vs. 1080p test.

river.

Collapse -
dont be stupid
by widojofus / July 8, 2007 2:42 PM PDT

i hear alot of people trying to justify their 720p purchases. if you really care about getting the best picture then obviously wait, but if youd rather have a good (not great) picture, then get the 720p.

Collapse -
I really think the shoe is on the other foot. People
by NM_Bill / July 9, 2007 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: dont be stupid

usually don't need the 1080. 720 is SO FAR ABOVE standard definition that the relatively small margin of extra benefit is problematic as to whether the extra price is worth it. Just an opinion,not trying to knock anybody over the head.

As competition or customers continues, the price of 1080 may be driven down so far that it won't be so important issue. But even then, the makers will have had development & production set up paid for & will run those lines as long as they continue to make good money at it.

720 - one helluva bargain

Collapse -
good, not great?
by woodygg / July 9, 2007 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: dont be stupid

huh?

you wouldn't notice a difference on a 42" model.

Collapse -
NO, NOT AT ALL, YOU HAVE TO BE IN THE 55" TO 70" RANGE.....
by Riverledge / July 12, 2007 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: good, not great?

TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE,AND AT A VIEWING DISTANCE OF ABOUT 60" (5').

Collapse -
Pioneer 720p vs Pioneer Elite 720p
by vjt110 / July 9, 2007 10:08 AM PDT

I know it's a little bit off of subject, but does anyone think that the Pioneer Elite is worth the premium over the "regular" version? I checked out both at Best Buy and it was hard to tell a difference. They wanted $4800 for the brand new 50 inch Elite model, while the brand "regular" Pioneer was about $3300. Is it worth $1500 for an Elite video processor? There are some other supposed improvements, but they are very small. How does Pioneer get away with charging this premium? And I doubt the they put a dumbed down processor in the "regular" model just for the sake being able to charge more for the Elite. The "regular" is already supposed to be a top of the line plasma.

After checking out the new models in person it was tough even notice the resolution because I couldn't take my attention away from the unbelievable contrast.

Collapse -
Elite PRO-1150 Versus PDP-5080HD
by ns387241 / July 9, 2007 1:13 PM PDT

The Elite models have two things over the PDP series:
1.) Speaker placement (PRO-1150 has side speakers, better channel speration)
2.) The Elite offers many more adjustments and ISFccc Color Calibration certified adjustments (such as individual gamma adjustments, etc.) to truly tailor the picture to your liking (not everybody enjoys picture presets)
OTHERWISE, the models are the same. etchnologically speakeing, all of the improved patents like the NEW crystal-emmissive layer and first-surface color filter are true to both sets.

Collapse -
Continued
by vjt110 / July 11, 2007 10:18 AM PDT

Most people spending this kind of money on the set also buy a high quality multi-speaker sound system, so the side speakers wouldn't be that big of deal. But the extra color adjustments sound like a plus. Still though I find it hard to spend another $1500. These sets even looked great at factory settings, I couldn't imagine what a little tweaking could do. They shouldn't have allowed the PDP-5080HD any where near the more expensive 52in XBR2, because it blew it out of the water for $700 less!

Which would you buy, all things considered; Elite Pro-1150 or PDP-5080HD????? Thanks for your imput.

Collapse -
Pioneer
by ns387241 / July 11, 2007 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Continued

Personally, after owning a professionally-calibrated Pioneer ELITE PRO-FHD1, I wouldn't be able to live with the slightest color inaccuracy, and for that alone, I could justify the extra $1500. However, if I were the average consumer (which I definately am not...when's the last time you met someone that spent more on their sound system than they did on their house and BMW combined?), I would most likely purchase the PDP-5080, becuase it is simply the best TV this side of 5 g's aside from the Elite.

Collapse -
ns387241, I have to give you credit for ability to make a
by NM_Bill / July 11, 2007 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Pioneer

commitment, as far straying from average decisions as it is. BMW, hmm, that's nice. Wildly bodacious sound system, well? If you were in my area, I'd gladly bring over some delicious home made BBQ & some imported beer for a listening session.

Collapse -
Slingerlands, NY
by ns387241 / July 11, 2007 3:20 PM PDT

yourself?

Collapse -
rather open code moniker in that Bill has always been my
by NM_Bill / July 11, 2007 4:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Slingerlands, NY

nickname & I retired to New Mexico. Yes, that third world country of a state. Lots of ongoing comedies of the absurb here, far beyond our peacock of a governor with White House aspirations? More like looking for a cabinet post for his resume. He enjoyed the peek of limelight during Clinton.

More specifically, Rio Rancho, the primary suburb of Albuquerque. Long after LA, then Phoenix, Denver & Las Vegas - it's now Albuquerque's time for investment growth.

I spent a decade vacationing around the country, previewing possible retirement relocations. A small chuckle that this specifically was never high on the list of alternatives, but wound by being the result of process of elimination. None the less valid a choice, what with not being a primary target.

But I'm here to mellow out. The 804s are an unexpected high end of my budget. But justified after 45 years of some sort of audiophile wannabee. An inveterate music junkie from the dawn of Elvis. Love nothing of exotic classiness, just lots of R&B, classic rock, blues & jazz. A couple thousand CDs worth on top of a couple hundred vinyl I never could stand to part with. Yeah, still have an old turntable; nothing fancy.

On the other hand, you surely went off your own deep end with your overkill system. No doubt, a labor of love. I guess that puts you in a highly specialized 99th percentile for music appreciation.

My 1st bold step was to buy two Tannoy 15" dual concentrics in the early 60s, & I homebuilt huge enclosures for what I was positively awed with at the time - big sound. Thought I was as good as a mid level theater.

Now retired, mid sixties, these 804s & the Denon 4806 are pretty much my last music move. The first having been building a Heath Kit to think I was sophisticated. Yes, I need to settle in with what the 804s may deserve. I leave the door open for maybe a quite suitable match as to amplifier. I have no experience with sophisitcated amps. I have had some NAD, Rotel - that sort of stuff. Things get unexpected at times, like a defective Parasound amp, but the dealer quickly put it in fine order.

All about the music & mellow times as I have adjusted to unaccustomed low productivity just feeling life is good. Not setting any records, just being myself.

Collapse -
PDP-5080 vs. PRO FHD1. Any advice would be appeciated.
by infoquest / December 1, 2007 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Pioneer

I am seeking my 1st plasma and have already decided that it will be a 50" Pioneer based on my own "untrained eye" observations. I have followed many of the postings re: the PDP-5080 and its achievements but my local sound specialty store advises that the PRO-FHD1 is the better choice and can be had for $2,799.00. vs the PDP-5080 for $2,399.00. Based on my budget, these are my 2 best options. My viewing distance will be approximately 9 to 10 ft (unless I grab some floor for a special movie). I understand the 1080P resolution is not much of a factor vs 720P at distances over 6ft but I don't want to make a "short sighted" mistake. I fully intend to purchase an accompanying surround sound system so the lack of speakers is not a concern for the PRO FHD1. The PRO FHD1 was over $6,000.00 only 2 months ago. It seems like a great value but based on my intended 9ft viewing distance would I be better off w/ the PDP 5080?
Are there advancments/options in the newer Kuro PDP 5080 that outweigh the resolution and color accuracy and adjustability benefits of the PRO FHD1 which came out nearly 1 year ago? It seems there might be some specs that the PRO FHD1 might not have (mosquito noise reduction?) when compared to the PDP 5080. Are there other significant differences that render the PRO FHD1 a bit outdated?
I am not a "videophile" but enjoy quality viewing and I'm looking for the best way to spend my TV dollars. I apologize in advance for beating a dead horse but your postings indicate you have personal knowledge of both my options. Any an all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
What did you decide to purchase
by Spiegs / March 18, 2008 12:50 PM PDT

Like you, I am also looking at purchasing a Pro FHD1. However, I am also looking at the Pro 1150 (which is the elite version of the 5080 - both are $2300). So what did you end up buying and what advise can you give me that you learned in the process?

I am placing this unit in a 10' x 10' room and will be sitting about 8.5' to 9' away. I will be purchasing a blue ray player but most of my viewing will be upconverting my existing standard DVD clloection and watching standard and HD cable broadcasts.

Thanks

Collapse -
I PASS................I bought a TIVO............
by Riverledge / March 20, 2008 2:48 PM PDT

TO DO THE DIRTY WORK FOR THE MEN'S NCAA TOURNEY.

river.

Collapse -
Short answer...
by Kingp1n / July 11, 2007 10:50 PM PDT

No. Anything that is HD these days will look pretty much the same to most people. The jump from standard def to high def is and was amazing. The same cannot be said for the difference between 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Read professional reviews, they all same the same thing; when it comes to the average cunsumer.

Collapse -
Cheaper 1080p
by volcomnick / December 1, 2007 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Short answer...

I haven't read all the posts on this forum, but i skimmed 'em and didn't see any mention of this.

Its a cheaper 1080p tv I saw reviewed on Attack Of the Show and they said they were pretty happy with it, feature and picture wise.

Olevia 2 Series 42-inch HDTV

Worth checking out at least.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!