TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Should I wait for HDMI 1.3?

My AV receiver is going bad, and I'm looking to replace it with a mid-level (sub-$1k) priced one. I will probably be using this one for at least 7-8 years.

What is everyone's opinion? Should I wait for the newer receivers which support HDMI version 1.3 or should I get one of the ones currently on the market?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I wait for HDMI 1.3?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I wait for HDMI 1.3?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lucky that your timing is fortunate as 1.3 is just now

In reply to: Should I wait for HDMI 1.3?

becoming available. To not take serious note of it would seem silly. I say that even though I, among many, am not concerned for it not being essential & we have investment in slightly older tech.

In just the next few months, all the majorbrands will have rolled out their first line of 1.3 compatible stuff. So,no need to rush quite yet. It's not going away, but becoming newly available. A little time to get things like c/net reviews is only good info for you.

Yes, obviously the possibility of tempting markdown deals of stuff out there now has some attraction. My opinion is that unless you would use that opportunity to get into a higher end brand, reject the short range bargain & go for the latest technology. You have indicated your comfortable price point. That is nicely realistic & gives you quite a few alternative options. I always urge going with the best quality brand that is reasonable available to you.

Receivers as excellent values have only gotten better for consumers in recent years. That money will get a lot of capability. Don't hesitate to post back when getting more specific in your quest.

Collapse -
just learned something today

In reply to: Should I wait for HDMI 1.3?

that the hdmi 1.3 spec really isn't all that standardized. Two potential things hdmi 1.3 may improve upon the older hdmi versions (but the hardware has to be correct) are Deep Color and DTS-HD MA.

However, there are no titles that have Deep Color encoded yet. And there are no players that EVEN HAVE THE HARDWARE to pass bitsream MA except the latest Samsung BD (even the hdmi 1.3 PS3 canNOT). But, the Samsung still needs the software...

Personally, I say forget hdmi 1.3 as any deciding factor whatsoever, and just consider everything else first, the features that you really want. Well, my opinion today. To be future-proof for advanced audio, make sure that it has multi-channel analog inputs. Almost all mid-level to hi-end reciever should have them. Might not on an entry-level. Some predict that the trend will be that advanced audio is going to be decoded at the player, due to all of the HDMI 1.3 bull-crap. gl

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.