Question

should I use any of my old pc parts with upgrade.

Ok, here we go.

My computer kept freezing during games, and once it came up with a scary screen that read 'CPU over heated'. As you can imagine, I freaked out.

I only built my baby about 2 years ago and I've had no issues until now. Because the tower is under the table I thought it might be time for another clean out (to get rid of the dust that never dissapears)
There was a nice layer of dust on between the Cpu and it's little built in fan.

Since then I've bought a new computer online Happy but I got the old girl running with the side off and a pedastool fan blowing into it (had to make due until the new beast arrived)

Long story short, I'm just wondering if the new computer would be better with my old graphics card running along side the new one.

Here are the specs.

Old pc:
Graphics card - ati radeon hd5850 1gb
Motherboard - Asus p7p550-e lx
Cpu - Intel core i5 760@2.80GHz(4 cpus)
Ram - 4096mb (2x PC3 12800 gold series)
HDD - 500gb (not sure what speed)

New pc:
Graphics card - HD7850 2gb
Motherboard - all-in-one Intel H77
Cpu - Intel core 3770 3.4GHz quad
Ram - 2x4gb dual channel ddr3 1333MHz 240-pin
HDD - 1tb data 3 7200rpm

I'm not that good with computers, so any advice would be great.

Thank you all in advance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: should I use any of my old pc parts with upgrade.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: should I use any of my old pc parts with upgrade.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
In short NO. You need matching video cards

to take advantage of greater video speed with more than 1 video card.

girlsplay

- Collapse -
Answer
In short NO. You need matching video cards

to take advantage of greater video speed with more than 1 video card.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
What about the other part?

Thank for the heads up.

Is the mother board in the new pc decent? Or am i better off using the old one?

All in all I don't know whether the new pc set up will be a big improvement or not.
What do you guys think?

- Collapse -
Parts are parts

The new PC is by far better that the old one with the parts you have mentioned.
Putting any of the old PC parts into the new PC will most likely slow you down.
Both are nice setups and should be very fast.
As far as cleaning the old PC you want to take your time and wipe off all the dust you can and then buy some filter covers for the case fans. That will slow the dust down from getting inside. As you found out HEAT KILLS.

minahan1

- Collapse -
Based on what you've listed, the new system will be

faster than the old system. To prove that you may have to run some benchmark tests as doing many things may not visually show dramatic improvement.

Let us know what you find out.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Answer
Test them

Treat all old parts as suspect -OR- leave them out until you have a working PC. Then swap them in, one at a time to see how it acts. Sorry, don't introduce problem(S) see if fixing it is really them out.

tada ------Willy Happy

CNET Forums