General discussion

Should I upgrate to 802.11G

My router is old and runs on 802.11b while my new laptop has the 802.11g inbuilt wireless card. Would changing the router to 802.11g significantly improve my internet speed (I subscribe to the DSL)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Should I upgrate to 802.11G
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Should I upgrate to 802.11G
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Internet speed

Your internet speed is controlled by your internet service provider. You would see no difference.

- Collapse -
Internet speed
- Collapse -
Is it worth it

Your internet speed will be the same.
If you have more than 1 computer on the router and share files between them your speed will increase dramatically.
802.11b runs at 11 mbs and 802.11g runs at 54 mbs or 108 mbs depending on which 1 you buy. A new router may provide better wireless security. If you decide to upgrade look at your laptop specs to see if it is a 54 mbs or a 108 mbs wireless connection. You may use either 1 no matter what you decide.

goodluck

CNET Forums