Camcorders forum

Question

Should I Upgrade from Canon HG10 to Canon XA10?

by SooYoung123 / September 21, 2012 5:49 AM PDT

I'm aware of all the extra stuff that I can get by upgrading to XA10. My question is specifically with the video quality alone. Is the XA10's video IQ better than the HG10? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I Upgrade from Canon HG10 to Canon XA10?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I Upgrade from Canon HG10 to Canon XA10?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I don't know what you mean
by boya84 / October 14, 2012 3:35 AM PDT

by "video IQ".

The things I usually look for in a camcorder are

Lens filter diameter (larger is better);
Imaging chip size (larger is better);
Audio input connectivity;
Manual audio gain control;
Manual focus capability.

All the other stuff - zebra, white balance, manual zoom, neutral density filters, low compression video capture/storage are all expected and considered table stakes. Lets see what we have when comparing the "pro grade" XA10 to the consumer grade HG10:

Lens filter diameter (larger is better)
HG10: 43mm
XA10: 58mm
Winner: XA10

Imaging chip size (larger is better)
HG10: single 1/2.7"
XA10: single 1/3" CMOS
Winner: HG10

Audio input connectivity
HG10: 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo. Can be used with a XLR adapter.
XA10: 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo - but comes with a 2 channel XLR adapter.

Manual audio gain control
HG10: In menu - but yes, when XLR adapter is used.
XA10: Yes - external when XLR adapter is used.

Manual focus capability
HG10: Sort of.
XA10: Yes - focus ring on lens barrel.

That I don't like AVCHD compression does not matter because both camcorders use the same format and compression and you did not ask about other cameras.

Any camcorder can capture good video quality when used within its design parameters. "Better" video quality is up to you and how you use the equipment. The XA10 will provide a larger window of capture opportunity...

Collapse -
Correction - sorry...
by boya84 / October 14, 2012 8:55 AM PDT

Imaging chip size (larger is better)
HG10: single 1/2.7"
XA10: single 1/3" CMOS

apologies for any confusion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.