PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Should I Upgrade?

I currently have a Dell Dimension Series Computer (about 4 years old). The specs are: Intel Pentium 3 1Ghz processer, 384 RAM, a 20 Gig hard drive, and a nVidia GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 Graphics Card. I want to play relatively new games (not neccesarily the most cutting edge). I have three questions.

1. Can I install a new graphics card on my computer (I know that when you buy computers from Dell, sometimes things, like the processor, can't be upgraded.) So I am not sure if this is possible, and if so, how hard it would be.

2. Is it worth it to upgrade my computer or to buy a new one. If I were to upgrade, I would only be looking to spend around $200 ((I was looking at a nVidia Geforce 6600GT Graphics card and 128 more RAM). But if it costs over $300 to do a decent upgrade, then I might as wel
l buy a new computer.

3. This kind of goes along with the previous question. How much does the processor have to do with performance and ability to run a game. What I mean is, do a decent graphics card and RAM make up for a low end processor such as mine.

Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeremy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I Upgrade?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I Upgrade?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
P3 is/was a great processor...

In reply to: Should I Upgrade?

...but that was then and this is now. I've found there's nothing more frustrating than old hardware, except old software! Seeing how it's a Dell upgrading is hit-or miss and often unpredictable.

When you got to a new graphics card that will take a lot of load off the processor. My take is this: look at the graphics car as the first step toward a new PC; you can take it with you when you upgrade to a new rig (Dell should be reassembled and given away/sold/used as file & print server etc) and if you don't get sufficient gains then you've wasted nothing, it's still a good card for another PC.

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: P3 is/was a great processor...

Does it even have an AGP slot? If not,then not worth it. If so, go for it. I have a 1GHz PIII, it's a decent processor. Should be just fine. But i don't think the dell has a good enough psu for the 6800gt. Upgrading the psu in a dell is near impossible so, might as well get a new computer. Emachines t6212 is a good choice. Get a 6600GT, and it'll run very well.

Collapse -
cheaper just to buy/build new

In reply to: Should I Upgrade?

just build or buy a new pc

konny

Collapse -
he'll get less out of it + more

In reply to: cheaper just to buy/build new

1st off he is looking at a 6600GT

second off, building/buying is $300+
a $300 computer from Dell will have less graphics performance than what he has, if he builds it it's $700+, and if he buys a decent computer it's $500+a graphics card for gaming

i'd suggest looking at a GeForce 6600 AGP (the non-GT vesrion) or maybe a GeForce 6200 AGP (which isn't so horrible)

i'd also suggest looking into more RAM

the 1GHZ CPU is right under the minimum requirement for some of today's newest titles like Half-Life 2
but if your just wanting to play something older, yet still fairly recent, such as Rainbow Six 3 or Unreal Tournament 2003 or 2004, I'd suggest upgrading what you have

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!