The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Should I Trade My iPod In For A Zune?

Well I, like a lot of people, became weak and finally purchased an iPod last year, the 30GB 5.5 gen to be exact (I also got a 3 year warranty from Best Buy). I've liked it a lot, minus a few things like the size of the screen, and the very smudge prone surface. Then the Zune comes out, gets very good reviews all around, about as good as the iPod if not better, and the biggest two beefs I had with the iPod, completely nullified my Microsoft.

So, the question is, should I return my iPod and get a voucher in-store, then use the money to buy a Zune, or should I wait?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I Trade My iPod In For A Zune?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I Trade My iPod In For A Zune?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dont

In reply to: Should I Trade My iPod In For A Zune?

Nope. Its too Zoon to trade in your iPod for a Zune.

Collapse -
wait

I would wait until a future version of the zune. In fact I am in the same situation as you. I am going to wait until this summer before I look into anything in detail.

Collapse -
(NT) wait till after Macworld

Collapse -
podcasts...

it would be kind of hard w/o a podcast aggregator on the zune to listen to BOL...

Collapse -
Zune and good reviews?

I don't think the Zune got good reviews.

Collapse -
if you have a lot of money invested

in music from itunes and you are decently happy with your ipod, don't change. at least not until microsoft offers a major update for the zune. don't get me wrong, i'm happy with my zune, but there are a few things such as on-device playlist making and more video options that i would like to see.

Collapse -
Wait!

I think you should wait until the new iPods and the new Zunes come out. Then you can compare.

Collapse -
Really, you know best, what do you think?

I am in the same situation. But, I'm wanting to get my first, nice, MP3 player. When I first heard about Zune, I thought it was going to really improve the main problems (to me personally) on the iPod. But, after looking around for more reviews and opinions, I have found that there are quite a few negative aspects as well.

One thing I have read a lot that the product was too rushed when it was released. Certain things like not being able to use Podcasts, compatibility issues, etc. are just some of the problems.

My suggestion, just keep looking around, read some reviews and decide if you think the negative things are going to be a problem for you. For some, it is fine, for others it isn't. One person suggested that I try purchasing the Zune from Costco because they have a really good return policy, no restocking fees, etc. So it is a good way to try the product to see if it is going to be a problem for you. Playing around with it in the store doesn't quite give you enough information about the player that you need to know, so trying it at home is definitely better.

Personally, I think I am going to wait a little while to see what comes out. I'm hoping that Apple will come out with a player at MacWorld that has improved a great deal over the current iPods (as far as problems) or for Microsoft to fix some of the problems with Zune, or put out a second generation player.

My fear is that as soon as I buy the Zune, Microsoft will come out with a new one that is a lot better and is more of what I want, but I am stuck with the first one.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Collapse -
Universal Tax

Don't pay the Universal Tax!!! Don't do it!

Collapse -
I say no...

That's 10 against trading in the iPod, 0 for. In statistics, we call that a darn obivious answer.

Collapse -
Different question, different answer?

In reply to: I say no...

Perhaps, like all surveys, the response would be different if you asked a different question, rather than a closed one Happy

"Should I change my iPod for another MP3 player, if so which one?"

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.