Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Should I stay with 98SE or go with the full install of XP Home

by Caddobob / February 16, 2004 5:53 AM PST

I currently am running an up-to-date version of 98SE on my about 4 month old P4 2.4Gh, 800 FSB, 512K pc3200, etc. For Xmas I received a full install version (not upgrade version) of XP Home.
Should I wipe out the system and go for the full install of XP, or keep on running 98SE.

What will I loose/gain by staying/going with each operating system, and what would you recommend??
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I stay with 98SE or go with the full install of XP Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I stay with 98SE or go with the full install of XP Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's really up to you
by Josh K / February 16, 2004 10:20 PM PST

1. What new features does XP have (that 98 doesn't) that you need or would like?

2. Is your PC's hardware compatible? If it's a new system, it probably is. In fact, I'm surprised it didn't come with XP unless you requested Windows 98.

3. Is your software compatible? You'll have to check each program's system requirements.

4. Are your peripherals compatible? (printer, scanner, etc.)

Answer each of those questions and you'll know what to do.

Collapse -
Re:It's really up to you
by JenDScot / February 16, 2004 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: It's really up to you

Many peripherals are compatible with XP. I am multibooting 98SE, W2K Pro, and XP Pro on a 2.0 GHz P4(supports overclocking to 2.5 Ghz), 1 GB DDR RAM, two 60 GB hard drives (with 4 partitions, Drives C through F),Award 6.0pg BIOS (flashed to current version),with 98SE on default c, W2K Pro on Drive d, and XP Pro on Drive E, with drive f being hidden as I use Power Quest's boot magic as my boot loader. XP does support my hp printer and scanner through just simply plugging it in (both are usb devices), as well as supporting my logitech extreme 3D joystick, and a generic driver for my Axis Pro (inexpensive gamepad, but is supported in XP, through usb), which everything works, and I did not have to load my device driver disks. The only difference is this support of devices in XP, otherwise graphic wise, 98SE and XP are both fast, but 98 is a bit smoother in graphic rendering, in all 16 and 32 bit interactive gaming. 98 also requires less memory and space usage on the hard drive. It is up to the end user as to what system is your preference.

Collapse -
Re:Should I stay with 98SE or go with the full install of XP Home
by John Robie / February 17, 2004 1:01 AM PST

Josh is pretty well on the money, and so is JenDScott.

I have a 5 year old Pent 3, 500GHz Win98se computer, a 2? year old Celeron 766 GHZ WinMe computer and a 1? year old Pent4, 2.0 (Northwood) WinXP Home computer. After getting used to WinXP, I like it the best, don't think I have had but maybe 1 or 2 crashes, whereas 98 & ME crashed at least several times a week. Was lucky my old printer & scanner and newer MS Joystick works with XP. May need checking with manufacturer on getting new drivers for compatibility with WinXP on certain products. Games are another thing. Most all of my large collection will work with XP, some older ones will give problems.
Recalling back at when XP came out there were quite a few people having problems converting from 98se & ME to XP. Those that bought computers with WinXP already installed at the factory didn't have problems. Don't see/hear much of that anymore. I don't wish to spend the $$ to convert my 98 or ME to XP as they are used by the wife for light stuff/surfing, and grandkids for gaming.

I see you also posted in the XP forum asking about this and have comments there.

JR

Collapse -
I suggest doing a bit of reading first
by dangermouse / February 17, 2004 4:24 AM PST

I still use Win98SE for the "light" stuff, and my family uses it as well. We're all quite happy with it and can see no need to change. However, I use Win2KPro (double-boot) every day when I need a more robust, secure OS that won't crash on me in the middle of serious electronics CAD or audio/music work.

I don't plan on ever using another Microsoft OS beyond these two. Yes, I am taking steps to learn Linux, and while I'm reasonably knowledgeable about computers, I'm certainly no computer geek. Fortunately, some of my friends are!

These three articles help to sum up the reasons for which I am uncomfortable just "blindly" following Microsoft in using whatever new OS they offer, as so many seem wont to do. (Needless to say, I use a good firewall (Tiny) and I know how to use it. If you do use WinXP, please do NOT depend on its built-in firewall, whatever you do. It does not come set to block outgoing traffic; i.e. any software that attempts to "phone home," including XP itself, will be able to do so unhindered.)

"Windows XP shows the direction Microsoft is going."
http://www.hevanet.com/peace/microsoft.htm

"Cleaning your Windows."
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/wo_garfinkel012804.asp

And regarding Palladium and "Trustworthy Computing:"
http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html

I hope this helps at least a little bit.

-DM

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?