Question

Should I return my 2019 HP Flagship laptop for a refund?

I received my new 2019 17" HP Flagship laptop yesterday. Now I need expert advice on whether or not to return it for a refund.

Here's what happened: during the start up process I plugged in charger, hit power on button and it started making a whirring/chirp sound which repeated itself about 9 times and then nothing happened, monitor never even flickered. After chat session with hp.support rep, we got it started and running. She had me manually do a BIOS download that would not run because it said it was incompatible with my device. (I have since read that the 9 whir/chirp repetitions concern a BIOS issue.) She said that's because when we did the 'rollback' it updated itself(?) I am not a technical person by any means so I'm asking for expert help/advice here!

My concern is that something went wrong with the upgrades I requested from the seller. I had it customized with these upgrades: 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(3); 32 GB DDR4 SDRAM.
It's an 8th gen Intel Core i5-8250U. Or could it be the Windows bloatware I've read about?

After spending close to a $1000 on this I've got some major concerns about future problems I might encounter if I take a chance on keeping it. Especially since the first major issue is with the BIOS at start up.

After we got it working(?) it's so slow and unresponsive that I started the refund process last night. But, I really want to make sure I'm doing the right thing because I really like this laptop(or its potential to be a good laptop!). It's got to last me a long time.

I thought it might be an internet connection problem because I only have a Verizon hot spot option at home(we live in a rural area). However, my 8 year old Sony VAIO didn't have any problems connecting and loading/running Netflix and I was able to browse while during research on this problem this morning. I'm using it now....sure wish I could get another one or have this one updated.

If anyone has any opinions/suggestions/solutions I'd appreciate the help! Thanks

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Should I return my 2019 HP Flagship laptop for a refund?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Should I return my 2019 HP Flagship laptop for a refund?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Always your choice.

My last HP had HP remotely work on my last HP for 8 and a half hours before they gave up and had me ship it for repair. There's a longer story but in HP service they killed it and shipped a dead laptop back to me. I can't tell people to buy from HP anymore.

You would think that getting a dead laptop from HP repair in the US would be an easy issue to resolve. Nope. 3 month old laptop and HP support tells me they have done all they can. No offer to try again and they walked. Yes that was a few years ago but imagine other consumers over such a loss. Not the HP I knew.

- Collapse -
Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry you also had a bad experience with HP and I appreciate you sharing. I agree that it's not the same HP from years ago. The customer service rep I dealt with was very patient and helpful, however, I am not impressed with the product.

I've decided to send it in for a refund and I'm now currently looking for another laptop. Hopefully, I'll have better luck with the next one. I'm looking at a Lenovo Ideapad 330 so maybe that will be a better option. Although, I've spent a lot of my Christmas Break researching different laptops and it seems there's no one sure way to go.

I may end up sticking with my old reliable VAIO for as long as it'll last! I only use it for my classroom creations so I really don't need much.

Thanks again for your advice!

- Collapse -
Models we bought in the last year.

Acer Predator 17 inch w/i7 1060 GPU, etc. about a year ago.
Asus Vivo 17 with 8th gen i7, 1050 Ti GPU etc. a year ago.
ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71 15-Inch Gaming Laptop, Discrete GPU GeForce GTX 960M 2GB VRAM, 16GB DDR4 at 2 years ago.

These were replacement laptops for family members and not one has needed a call for support.

- Collapse -
Answer
?

I know this is old topic but i would say HP is really sucks...bought mine 8 months ago and it just died without any warning,so i thought maybe the ac adaptor is the problem after trying and checking everything i realized its the laptop so i called the HP SUPPORT told me to do crazy things like update the bios etc like i said its dead so i cant do anything..they asked me yo send it to them and its for free freight if i will extend the regular 1 year warranty but i said NO..they end up saying its going to be free pick up and delivery at the end..now after 4 days i received an e-mail from their support that i spilled a liquid on my laptop so they cant repair it because it not part of the 1 year warranty..the problem is God knows that did not happen i took care of this laptop like a baby now they want me to pay 309$ for everything to get it fixed (motherboard,battery and cpu) because again they said those are the broken parts because i spilled a liquid to the laptop..i just give up i told them to return the item cuz i cant afford 309$ for their accusation ,funny part they can lessen the amount if i am willing to get it fixed ? i didnt wanna know how much anymore cuz i was so pissed and i dont wanna talk anymore..i will be getting a dell on my next purchase i had one before for 4 years never had to call any support and my daughter has it now still alive and kicking.

CNET Forums

Forum Info