Laptops forum

General discussion

Should I replace the motherboard or buy a new one?

by preppystud / April 20, 2007 5:43 AM PDT

i have a toshiba satellite M65-s809 laptop. i bought it about 1.5 years ago. now the motherboard is dead according to the repair center. they told me that the motherboard will cost about $200, and labor will be about $150 something for 2 hours.

it has windows xp, and 512 memory, 17 screen. so should i get a new one, or replace the motherboard, is the price about right?

and someone on another site refer me to a ebay auction site which can repair it for me for only $150. should i try that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-Satellite-M65-S809-M65-S9065-Motherboard-Repair_W0QQitemZ150112090909QQihZ005QQcategoryZ80205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I replace the motherboard or buy a new one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I replace the motherboard or buy a new one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If possible don't.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 6:02 AM PDT

That retailed for about 1,500 bucks in December, 2005. So a 350 repair bill is high but not as bad as some I've seen hitting over 500.

All this is your choice but today you can find new 17 inch units that are faster, more disk space, etc for the 1K mark. So it's all economics at this point.

How much was the extended warranty?

Bob

Collapse -
mmm
by preppystud / April 20, 2007 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: If possible don't.

extended warranty probaly costs about 200 or more. i bought it at the end of 2005, but i registered in 2-2006. i wonder if i registered in dec-2006, will toshiba repair it for me for free?

Collapse -
Be blatent and try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: mmm

Ask if you can extend the warranty "now" and have your card ready. At 200 I think that's a fair deal. Then you get your warranty too...

Bob

Collapse -
What did you decide?
by bpratt4645 / May 7, 2007 4:41 PM PDT

I'm experiencing the same problem. No power from AC adapter to computer and power button stays on for 3 seconds before shutting down. I've read a lot about other Toshiba laptops having power problems and needing soldering however when I pulled my laptop apart, the power connection appears to be totally intact. I believe it's a bad motherboard. I purchase a new power adapter thinking it was a bad adapter but after plugging it in, no power light comes on laptop does not power on. Looking at all the circuitry on the motherboard, I feel defeated in attempting to look for the broken link. Toshiba has quoted me $260 for replacement motherboard and another $260 deposit. I wanted to know how you resolved your issue. Any lessons learned or suggestions?

Collapse -
mm
by preppystud / May 7, 2007 6:12 PM PDT
In reply to: What did you decide?

how long have you had this laptop?

the local service center quoted me about $250 for the motherboard, but they were willing to offer me the discount for $200.

Collapse -
How long have I had the laptop?.....
by bpratt4645 / May 8, 2007 4:49 PM PDT
In reply to: mm

I bought it in Dec 2006, just a little over a year old. I'm so bummed about the laptop. How could this possibly happen when the darn thing never moves from it's place....I can understand if it was being tossed around in a travel bag, but this laptop is static on the desk. I already called Toshiba and of course the "first" thing they ask is when you bought it, to defend themselves and tell you there's a cost associated with the repair. Tech support said I could buy a replacement motherboard for $260...but oh BTW, I have to send a deposit of $260 and I'll get it back after I send the old motherboard back. Duh???? What the hell would I do with a crapped out motherboard other than fling it in the trash!!

I really don't want to be forced to buy a new laptop. Definitely NOT Toshiba!!!!

Collapse -
a possible consumer lawsuit?
by preppystud / May 8, 2007 6:06 PM PDT

I bought the laptop about the exact same time. i also used mostly at home. here is what i did. i first sent it to a local repair center, they charged me 45 bucks to have a look, and they told me that the motherboard needs to be replaced, with the labor fee, it is more than $350.

so I started to look around, at first, i wanted to buy another laptop, then i was thinking to build a desktop. it was so time consuming, and i had to think about all kinds of computer parts, prices, etc. so i decided to write a complain to toshiba. i got on their web site, wrote an email, tried to send it, but the site won't let me send it, it asked me for order number, etc. and it also listed that if i want to talk to customer service, i have to call their 800 number. since i already spent time writing that complain, i decided to give them a call.

so i called the 800 number, it is the number for people who want to buy toshiba products. they directed me to the tech. support center which is located in philipine.

so i talked to someone on the phone, told him/her about my situation, the person gave me a case number. and transferred me to consumer relationship department which is in the US. later, i learned that that department only had 4 agents answering the phone. so at first, i was put on hold for more than 20 mins. i thought that it was their way to ignore me. so i called back again, talked to another person.
s/he also transferred me to the same relationship department. finally, one person told me that that department opens from 8 am to 8 pm, eastern time. i had to call back on monday. i spent at least an hour talking to different people on that friday.

next monday, i got on the phone again, gave the person my case number, s/he transferred me to the same department, i was put on hold for exactly 30 mins, then i got cut off automatically. of course, i won't give up so easily. i called that 800 number right away, and waited for another 40 or 45 mins, finally someone answered me. and he didn't even ask me for any suggestions, he offered me FREE repair right away. i was thinking, maybe i should just buy a warranty, so they can repair it for me. no, he didn't ask a lot of questions at all, he told me that he will fax to the local toshiba repair center. and the local repair center fixed the toshiba laptop free of charge for me.

so it seems that toshiba motherboard does have some problems. that is why they are repairing it free of charge, you should give it a try.

Collapse -
I'll give it a try
by bpratt4645 / May 8, 2007 6:50 PM PDT

What kind of customer service is that? Just that in itself, they should offer you the free repair. That is so typical of customer service agents...I definitely would escalate it up the ranks to emphasize the lack or quality customer service. Companies make their profit with good customer service to keep us happy. However that doesn't appear of any interest to Toshiba. We all paid a pretty penny for their damn inferior computers.

I pulled my laptop apart and will give them a call to tell them about my system. I don't know if I have that much patience like you but I will attempt until I can escalate it to someone who can offer me a free repair.

Good luck and thanks for the info....truly appreciate the info.

Aloha from Hawaii...

Collapse -
yea.
by preppystud / May 8, 2007 7:15 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll give it a try

the same repair 800 number. talk to one of the customer service, tell them what happened to your laptop, and you are upset that you paid so much money and it didn't last long. i think that there is something wrong with the motherboard, how come we bought at the same time, and the moterhboards died at the same time?

tell the customer service people that you want to escalate your complain, and you want to talk to the customer relationship department in the US. They told me that they will give me a call in a week or so. but i didn't have the patience to wait for that long. so i just kept waiting on the line till they answered my phone. if u don't want to wait on the phone for that long, you can just wait for them to call you back.

Collapse -
When Laptop magazine did their test
by orlbuckeye / May 9, 2007 8:38 PM PDT

of rating company's support Toshiba got a D-. They had the same problem you did in your post. I hope they make quality machines because IF they break it sounds like a nitemare.

Collapse -
Didn't you jump at that offer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2007 10:24 PM PDT

"I have to send a deposit of $260 and I'll get it back after I send the old motherboard back."

Wow, that's quite the deal! I can only hope I get such treatment in such a situation.

Bob

Collapse -
Not quite a great offer
by bpratt4645 / May 9, 2007 7:12 PM PDT

The motherboard will cost me $260. I have to send them another $260 deposit for the exchange of the bad motherboard. I'll get it back when I return the old board. So the initial cost will be $520 just to get the motherboard. Based on their customer support, I don't know how long I have to wait for my credit of $260.

I'm going to challenge their customer support and escalate it up to mgmt. Wish me luck!!!!

Collapse -
easy
by preppystud / May 10, 2007 4:27 AM PDT

just call the 800-457-7777, and tell them what happened to your computer, and ask to talk to customer relationship department. i think that they have had complains before. so when i talked to one person, she asked me if i want to replace the motherboard for "free" which I didn't ask for it.

Collapse -
so what happened
by preppystud / May 20, 2007 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: easy

so for the person who had the same problem, did you contact them? and what happened? i can't seem to contact you privately, and i am very curious if you got the same offer as i did

Collapse -
Time difference is an obstacle
by bpratt4645 / May 21, 2007 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: so what happened

Thanks Preppy for following up..I attempted to call once but their recording came on and said I had to call back during business hours. The time difference causes more frustration b/c I'm a 6 hour zone from east coast which makes it difficult to talk to a live person. By the time I can talk, I've got to get to work and can't sit on the phone on company time. I will attempt again...will keep you posted.

Collapse -
Got a Case Number!!!
by bpratt4645 / May 21, 2007 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: so what happened

Called Toshiba Global support and actually got an english speaking person!!! These overseas call centers are for the birds. It was a screening process first to check whether the warranty was in effect...They gave me a reference number first, then transferred me to technical support...would be $35/charge if they troubleshoot but if I ask the question, there would be no charge. Instead I gave all the facts and all the trouble shooting things I did including buying a new power adapter. I was advised to take it to a service center for troubleshooting and assessment but argued that I've already done that so why should I pay for something that I already know? Besides I shouldn't have to pay for a new motherboard that was probably faulty from the get-go. Rep couldn't answer my question and provided me a case number and sent it forward to Customer relations dept. I expect a call back tomorrow morning....othewise I'll call them instead. It's looking hopeful. Will keep you posted!

Collapse -
did they fix it for u?
by preppystud / June 30, 2007 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Got a Case Number!!!

any news?

Collapse -
Toshiba Laptop fixed at last!!!!!
by bpratt4645 / November 27, 2007 6:29 PM PST
In reply to: did they fix it for u?

Well, it's almost the end of the year and yup it took me about this long to get the darn laptop in repair. I was persistent and paid my dues on ring-around-the-rosies with the foreign customer support service centers....can you believe I actually hung on to a call for an hour and 15 minutes for them to drop me like a hot potato...if that didn't set me on fire...but that added fuel to the fire and only allowed me to have a legitimate complaint about their inferior service...I called back and asked for a supv and got hung up on again...isn't that crazy...by the time I finally made it to the top I had a chronological timeline and listing of all the calls I made, who I spoke to and how many dropped calls to ruin their reputation..I think the supvr was more concerned about the quality of service that my actual problem, which ended up being a fried motherboard as I suspected...basically a lemon. There were no questions asked and I was given a work order number, took the laptop down to the qualified repair center and picked it up couple weeks later...it's running like a champ...I bought a cooling pad for it which helps reduce the heat.

Thanks a bunch for all the help.

Happy in Hawaii!!!!

Collapse -
"Happy in Hawaii!!!!"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2007 10:45 PM PST

So far I have found very few that aren't!

I feel for your trials but it's par it seems today for ANY repair. You want more fun? Try this with any new flatscreen TV. The industry needs another government intervention.

Bob

Collapse -
Give me a hand please
by MCR-7 / April 14, 2009 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: "Happy in Hawaii!!!!"

I have an M65-s821. Can you please give me case #'ers or any other info to reference so I can gte my dead mobo fixed to

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?