Peripherals forum

General discussion

Should I replace my graphics card or monitor first?

by zoebean45 / February 25, 2005 1:06 AM PST

I recently purchased a new graphics card (PCI type) and a new LCD flat-panel display (to replace the old CRT) for my home PC (running WinXP Home). Which one should I replace first? I am not sure whether there is a recommended "order" to the procedures. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I replace my graphics card or monitor first?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I replace my graphics card or monitor first?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do them both at once.
by Steven Haninger / February 25, 2005 9:59 AM PST

Now, since you have purchased a PCI type (you did not say PCI Express), I am thinking you currently have your video on the motherboard which means no AGP slot available. Is this correct? If so, you will need to remove the drivers and related software for the existing device first. Then, and again if you have on board video, you will need to disable this. You can power off the PC, plug in the new card, and connect the monitor. Then power on and immediately enter the BIOS and disable any on board video. Save the settings and reboot. Your new hardware should be detected and you will be asked to provide a driver. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Monitor this
by John46947 / March 1, 2005 3:15 PM PST

Stevens advice is excellent and I'd follow follow it.

There is no order for upgrading video card and monitor. In fact most monitors will work perfectly fine with the generic windows drivers. However video cards can be a bit more tricky with respect to drivers and as Steven mentioned it's always wise to uninstall the current drivers followed by a reboot before proceeding with a new card install.

I am sort of wondering why someone would replace any video card with a PCI card unless of course your talking PCIe. ;^)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!