Question

Should I repair2010 HP Pavilion DV8

I have kept my Pavilion limping along for years. I just love it. Years ago, the keyboard stopped working, so I now use an external keyboard. The Wi-Fi drops for no reason, so I just have it hardwired. The battery no longer works, so I just keep it plugged in. I'm happy with this arrangement. Recently I couldn't open anything. I couldn't open any programs. I couldn't open any documents. I took it to the repair shop and they said that my system was overheating and the fix to that would be to clear out debris. I did not realize I could replace my motherboard until I was reading posts on here. Is this something I should do, or would it be pretty spendy? I don't want to get some piece of crap refurbished laptop that I don't like. However, that being said, what refurbished laptops are recommended. I can't afford much. I'm looking at 500 dollars. Is life over for me as I know it?

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Should I repair2010 HP Pavilion DV8
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Should I repair2010 HP Pavilion DV8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
My nod is nope.

As to the overheating that's common for folk that don't get out the canned air every month or so.

Our similar aged DV7 was worth tweaking up with a new battery (25 bucks?) and a 500GB SSD (under80). But it has been kept fixed over the years. Keyboards are cheap from 20 to 99 bucks.

I do all my own work.

Post was last edited on December 26, 2018 10:18 AM PST

- Collapse -
Thank you.

So, canned air, huh? Good to know.

I need to do all my own work but I think with you nodding no I need to look at refurbished HPs or Dells.

Any suggestions on a boils refurbished make? Or does the make family not matter?

Thanks so much!

- Collapse -
My worry about the canned air

Is this machine may be too late to pull back from the grave. The canned air work is simple (just to the vents) and often. Here I go for 1st of the month so if I skip a month or two, no big deal. That way I never reach the point where I have to do a deep clean even after 8 years.

As to refurb I tend to like the non-consumer versions in the refurb market. The consumer models tend to be worn out unless they are months old. As to make, each maker has duds. But HP burned me on warranty so they have a special place to me on my don't buy list.

- Collapse -
How do I find non- consumer product?

I don't know where to go nor what I should be looking for.

Thanks!

- Collapse -
Let's take Dell as an example.

You can pretty much avoid the consumer models by dismissing any Inspiron model.

This can lead you to the Lattitude and other business models. These tend to be and have been sturdier builds that hold up well over the years. It won't change the need for a new battery as the battery tech has been the same as all other laptops.

For the HP they have their Pavillion line which is their consumer line. For my brother's office we mostly picked the ProBook models such as found with https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-ab&q=hp+probook+groupon

CNET Forums