Mac Hardware forum

Question

Should I remove my new HDD and replace with a smaller SSD?

by wellkids79 / September 5, 2014 6:01 AM PDT

I think I posted this in the wrong area previously!

I really need some guidance and advise! I am NOT a computer savy person so please forgive my ignorance!

I have a MacBook Pro i7 with a 750g HDD that I just purchased used from my daughter. It is basically brand new and has been used less than 40 hours. Still under warranty.

I will be using this laptop for work and need to run Microsoft Word, Excel, surf the net, and have a large volume of pictures and videos to transfer over for my job. I have always kept these images on my computer and would like to continue to do so moving forward. I do not want a separate hard drive if I can do without.

I went to a computer store about having the data moved from my old MAC onto the new one or place it on a Time Capsule. The computer technician advised me not to use the Time Capsule but to just move everything over to the new MAC. He wants to take out my current HDD which is like new and replace it with a 250G SSD to make my computer faster and perform better. The HDD drive will be removed because I don't want to give up the CD drive that I do use with work.

Is this a wise move? What would be the benefit of replacing this hard drive? I just need feedback on whether or not this is truly an upgrade or if I should find a new computer technician!

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I remove my new HDD and replace with a smaller SSD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I remove my new HDD and replace with a smaller SSD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Will the work
by itsdigger / September 5, 2014 6:23 AM PDT

be done by an Apple technician, I mean what about warranty issues. Also if you have a lot of photo's , won't that use a lot of GB's ? A 250 GB drive seems small unless you put all the photo's on an external drive.

I'm not an Mac user but had to ask

Digger

Collapse -
Yes it is a Certified Apple Technician
by wellkids79 / September 5, 2014 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Will the work

...I just question why I need this drive and also think this is too small. I am not a gamer and have a ton of photographs. I guess I question why take out a larger drive to replace with a smaller one just because its SSD. I am not a computer savvy person but this makes no sense to me. There current HDD drive works great.

Collapse -
I agree
by itsdigger / September 5, 2014 6:53 AM PDT

But I'm sure a pro here will chime in soon...

Digger

Collapse -
Not a very good idea!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 5, 2014 9:08 AM PDT

You have a ton of photo's, which I guess you will store in iPhoto, and you are not a gamer.

The MacBook Pro boots reasonably fast and with the i7 processor is an all round speedy machine.

While what the Apple Tech is telling you is true, the faster boot speed is about the only thing that you would benefit from. iPhoto might launch a little faster but not really fast enough to justify losing 500GB of disk space.

If I were you, I would stick with the 750GB hard drive.

If you were to be keeping the hard drive, at the expense of the Optical Drive, it would be a different story.

P

Collapse -
Answer
Could go either way
by Photechgraphic / September 7, 2014 12:47 PM PDT

I currently run a 256gb SSD, switching down from a 1tb drive. I moved all photos more than 6 months onto my external drive.

It made my computer much faster; however there are drawbacks. I do constantly worry about running out of space, and occasionally back up my photos more often "just in case". This can be seen as an advantage as I'm not likely to lose all my photos if my computer does crash.

Collapse -
I see you point but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Could go either way

the OP specifically stated that he wanted to keep his photo's on his laptop for work and that he did not want an external hard drive.

I would hope that the OP is also using an external hard drive to backup his MBP but they would not have to drag that around with them.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.