Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Should I , or Shouldn't I download SP2???

What is the verdict?? I am running XP home with all critical updates, up to SP2. I am running NAV 2002,S&D,Spywareblaster, and Ad-Aware SE. my puter is very stable and works Great. I know SP2 is suppose to fix alot of things. But it also causes alot of program conflicts. Should I give MS more time to "fix" some of SP2's problems? Or download SP2 and hope it don't break something that is broken and is working fine the way it is?

Rick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I , or Shouldn't I download SP2???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I , or Shouldn't I download SP2???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, don't download (as long as you don't use the internet)

In reply to: Should I , or Shouldn't I download SP2???

Yes, download if you do use the internet. It is a securtiy and safety upgrade that (with a few minor exceptions) has been received and accepted by many without problems.

Do you have any of the programs that are on the conflict list? If not, go for it!

I downloaded and have had no problems.

Collapse -
Re: No, don't download (as long as you don't use the interne

In reply to: No, don't download (as long as you don't use the internet)

Hi Larry..Where did you download it from?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) neowin I will try and find the link for you

In reply to: Re: No, don't download (as long as you don't use the interne

Collapse -
Re: found it here!

In reply to: found it here!

There is a CD rom with the latest publication of PC Plus magazine contains Service pask 2
I used this CD - took 15 Mins and absolutely NO problems.
Whats all the fuss!!
I use ZOnealarm firewall and AVG antivirus. Pack 2 recognises these and evrything went like a dream!!

Collapse -
Re: found it here!

In reply to: Re: found it here!

Will Sp2 regognize Panda AV?

Collapse -
Re: (NT) neowin I will try and find the link for you

In reply to: (NT) neowin I will try and find the link for you

I downloaded the SP2 from the Windows Update website a few days ago. So far, no problems. I suggest you do the same.

Collapse -
Microsoft's Primary 'Full' XP SP2 Download Site

Collapse -
Re: Microsoft's Primary 'Full' XP SP2 Download Site

In reply to: Microsoft's Primary 'Full' XP SP2 Download Site

Grif, 2 questions. Can I use this site to download the full SP2 and up date my computer and burn it to cd for future use , if i need too?

Thanks Rick

Collapse -
Re: Microsoft's Primary 'Full' XP SP2 Download Site

In reply to: Re: Microsoft's Primary 'Full' XP SP2 Download Site

i would think so

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Rick, Yes, I've Saved To CD & It Works On XP HOME/Pro

In reply to: Re: Microsoft's Primary 'Full' XP SP2 Download Site

Collapse -
Dumb question

In reply to: Microsoft's Primary 'Full' XP SP2 Download Site

May I assume that SP2 will be the same for XP as for XP PRO? Thanks.

Collapse -
William, It's Interesting....

In reply to: Dumb question

Although XP Pro and Home are slightly different, and some of the SP2 file updates are slightly different for each version, after the updates are done, you'll notice that your Windows XP start up screen no longer says "Pro" or "Home". It only says "Windows XP".

I use the same 266 full installer file to update both HOME and PRO. It has worked fine on either version although it's clear that some of the displays are slightly different on opposing version..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Grif, It's Interesting....

In reply to: William, It's Interesting....

Thank you Grif. Happy

Although I've been doing the maintenance on one WinXP, our other comp has been Win98. As of about 8/30, we should be on WinXP and Win XP Pro and I was wondering about he difference in the application of SP2. Thank you Grif for the detailed differential. Happy

William

Collapse -

Collapse -

In reply to: No, don't download (as long as you don't use the internet)

Larry, where did you come up with the "Program Conflicts List" ? - Inquiring minds want to know...
Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Should I , or Shouldn't I download SP2???

Rick,

Just my personal experience so far....

I've installed XP SP2 on about 20 computers so far (3 HOME and approx. 17 PRO verions)and have only received one error message on a Compaq machine which had an old video driver. Updating the driver fixed the error message. I've been using the full 266 MB installer to make the installations and it's worked correctly on all machines. I've not noticed any problems with the programs that my users normally use....which include Microsoft Office programs, Roxio CD burners, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, ZoneAlarm, Media players, and a number of others, including some Dbase programs on XP, etc. Printers and file sharing seem to be working normally also.

Still, I've only had the new service pack installed for about a week or so and it might be worth waiting a little while just to make sure there aren't any major issues that show up.

It's your choice, but I recommend installing it sooner or later. Although the primary differences are the new XP firewall, a pop up blocker in Internet Explorer, and automatic updates settings, there are other things included and eventually, (if Microsoft holds true to form), the updates won't install on the older SP1.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Should I , or Shouldn't I download SP2???

i installed it runs great

Collapse -

I'm still waiting for auto download to do it.

Collapse -

Thanks Grif.. and everyone who responded to my question. I will download SP2,When it becomes aviliable at Windows Updates,but not by automatic updates..Where it downloads in the background when you are online and have no control of the download, if it downloads.... I would like to download it myself from WU.

Thanks Rick

Collapse -

I think you are mistaken. The way I understand it, you are STILL given the opportunity to INSTALL it even after you follow MS's suggestion in letting it download over time automatically. If you download it manually, you may be cut off (on dialup anyway) and lose everything and have to start over. Someone may correct me on this latter point.

I'm waiting for the free CD.

Collapse -

Hi William, When I go to WU site, it tells me the only way to get SP2 is Automatic Updates. Other ways will be available later. I want to get SP2 from the WU site and download it manually. I have DSL, so time or size of download don't matter to me.

PS ,I would like to have a SP2 CD just to have . When and if they ever become available.

Rick

Collapse -

Collapse -

I had downloaded sp2. After that I couldn't play web based game. the screen wouldn't let me make them bigger to see the rest of the page, so I uninsstalled it. I couldn't manage to get it to work right. Was there something I could have done to correct this?

Collapse -

If u have intel, I think ibm says intel isn't ready 4 sp2 just yet. Forgot who is.....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thats not true

Collapse -

Rearadmiral,

Almost all machines that I've installed SP2 on have had Intel Pentium or Celeron processors. Some of them also have Intel graphics as well. As mentioned before, so far, so good here.

Auggie posts some good information in her post immediately below at THIS LINK.

Our agency of 8-10,000 computers is also testing SP2 before installing it on all XP's. Many of the machines I'm installing it on are part of those tests. If anything new comes up, I'll try to pass it along.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -

Grif, come on. Auggie is a "he" not a "her". Auggie is short for Augustine like in St Augustine.

Collapse -
Auggie, Sorry....Just To Let You Know...

...I have TWO lady friends named "Auggie". Both are Augustina. Obviously, none of this relates to you and I'm sorry.

My fault..

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) go to your room and no tv for you young man:)

In reply to: Auggie, Sorry....Just To Let You Know...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.