Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Should I Keep 98SE or go to Full Version of XP Home

by Caddobob / February 16, 2004 5:51 AM PST

I currently am running an up-to-date version of 98SE on my about 4 month old P4 2.4Gh, 800 FSB, 512K pc3200, etc. For Xmas I received a full install version (not upgrade version) of XP Home.
Should I wipe out the system and go for the full install of XP, or keep on running 98SE.

What will I loose/gain by staying/going with each operating system, and what would you recommend??
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I Keep 98SE or go to Full Version of XP Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I Keep 98SE or go to Full Version of XP Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Should I Keep 98SE or go to Full Version of XP Home
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 5:54 AM PST

If things work well for you, I'd stand pat.

But for me, Windows 98 limitations of 4GB file sizes, resources and 64 kilobyte resource pools have me running Windows 2000 and XP for the machines I have for video editing and more.

Bob

Collapse -
by RALERAY / February 16, 2004 7:50 AM PST

Always use the latest Software, Drivers and Hardware if your wallet can afford it. One, Microsoft has discontinued their support of Win 98 so that is a good reason to scrap it. Also, Win XP has all the drivers for most hardware? put in your disk and do a clean install. XP will ask if you want to reformat, just say ?yes? and remember to use the total partition. You will be glad you did. Remember to backup files such as documents, photos and any financial files (Quicken, Money, etc.) or any data files you want to keep. Do not backup programs, since you will have to re-install those because the dll (Dynamic Link Library) will not connect. One exception is if you use Lotus Notes, save your data folder if you want to keep your desktop settings.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Should I Keep 98SE or go to Full Version of XP Home
by Mark G / February 16, 2004 8:09 AM PST

wrong ms still supporting 98/me to 2006

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Should I Keep 98SE or go to Full Version of XP Home
by fjb / February 16, 2004 8:39 AM PST

Another opinion, I built a new computer several months ago so I could load and run XP Home, I have found that it is by far the best OS to come from M$. However I will keep my ME and 98 computers because most of the hardware and software I use on them, especially games was not written for XP..That will have to be another consideration if you decide to make the switch. You can find most of the updates for win XP but I would check first for compatability.

Collapse -
by gene001 / February 16, 2004 9:22 AM PST

First, decide if all programs, printers & other devices are XP "rated!
Many devices will need new drivers, not all will even work w/ XP.
You may find that for your use of the computer, 98 is just fine, W/ the spec's u gave it should be quite fast and stable.
There are a lot of changes in XP (if computer is going to be networked, XP Pro only)Advantages are great, if u need them! Many features will not be used by a lot of users.
Evaluate carefully & fully. Find someone who is using XP & "play" w/ it if possible. There are a lot on "manditory" things that need to be set up that u do not have to deal w/ in 98.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!