Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Should I install Vista Business?

by adithya88 / March 13, 2007 2:28 PM PDT

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with the following specs

Pentium M 1.6 Ghz
1.5 GB RAM
128MB dedicated graphics ATI Radeon X300 (with pixel shader 2.0)
120GB Hard Disk

Now I have the following questions about upgrading to window vista business.
1. Should I install or not?
2. Will I lose the Dell Recovery Partition if I do install? and if I do, is there any way to make a new recovery partition?
3. I read in various places that there are compatibility issues regarding sound card, wireless card and a few other things with my model of laptop? Is this true and to what extent?
4. Clean install or upgrade? People have told me that upgrade slows the system down, is this true?

These are all the questions I have for now and a few answers will be appreciated. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I install Vista Business?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I install Vista Business?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should I ?
by Papa Echo / March 13, 2007 11:21 PM PDT

First, create a CD of the Recovery Partition, if you have not done so. You then have no issues with losing that partition. Now, for the main item: Whether you should upgrade to business depends on what you are doing now, but the main problem is getting devices to work for want of Vista drivers. If you can get around that, then upgrade if you really have need for the new or extra features of the business edition. Also note that for some applications/programs, you may need patches for them to work in Vista.

I would clean-install to avoid the problem of not being able to activate the original OS (XP ?), which you will be able to by using the Recovery disc, but if you upgrade, you change the status of the origional OS to Vista Business - there is no going back. However, if you clean install(full retail or OEM pack), you still have the origional OS.

Collapse -
re: vista business
by ramarc / March 14, 2007 12:05 AM PDT

first, why do you *need* it? by now, you should realize that vista will bring you at least some (and possibly a lot of) problems.

if you do install, the dell recovery partition will be somewhat obsolete (since it's xp). still, leave it be and use vista business' "complete pc backup and restore" (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/completepcbackup.mspx). this will make an image that will provide the same functionality as the recovery partition.

since you've got a pentium-m laptop, you probably won't run into any hardware compatibility issues.

a clean install is always preferable, but if you have a lot of apps, vista can save you the hassle of reinstalling (and it is a hassle) and warn you of any incompatible apps before you start. i disagree that an upgrade slows down the system since the entire OS is clean. your hard drive will certainly be more unorganized after an upgrade, but vista will optimize itself after a while.

Collapse -
restore partition
by adithya88 / March 14, 2007 9:45 AM PDT

Thanks for the advice so far....I didnt know about the full pc backup feature.
now the old restore partition takes up disk space right? If i wont be needing it because it just has XP, how do I get rid of it?

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages in terms of a comparison between an upgrade and a clean install? From what has been said, I guess application reinstallation will be an issue. Anything else?

Collapse -
Installing and partitions...
by John.Wilkinson / March 14, 2007 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: restore partition

The restore partition contains a copy of everything that was preinstalled on your computer, including Windows XP. If, at some point, you need or want to return to XP it would be a good idea to have burned a set of recovery CDs. With those disks, though, you're free to format the partition using the Vista DVD if you like.

As to a clean installation, it has several benefits. First and foremost, you'd be starting with a clean slate so there would be no carry-over of potential problems or compatibility issues. Instead, you'd deal with them one-by-one as you install all of the software, making it far easier to nail the issues down. It also would save some disk space since you wouldn't have XP files floating around your hard drive. On the other hand, it means you must backup all of your files beforehand and then reinstall all of your programs afterward. Thus, there is more work involved in a clean install, but it may be worth it to you.

John

Collapse -
thanx
by adithya88 / March 14, 2007 12:12 PM PDT

I'm probably going in for a clean install because I won't mind reinstalling the applications that I use the most.

Also, if I use the full pc backup which is included in vista business....I don't need the xp disks right?....I don't intend on having to revert back to XP.

Anything else I should know before I go through with this?
Thanks for all the help so far

Collapse -
Correct...
by John.Wilkinson / March 14, 2007 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: thanx

The full PC backup under Vista will let you create a copy of Vista, all the installed programs, and your personal files, making it easy to reinstall to that state should you ever need to.

The only other thing I would be sure to consider is driver compatibility, which remains a major issue. Check each device manufacturer's website for updates to make sure there are no last-minute surprises waiting in the wind.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
thanks
by adithya88 / March 14, 2007 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Correct...

thanks a lot for your help.

I'm posting this message from vista and its working perfectly so far. I just had a last couple of questions.

I did a clean install from within windows and all my files from xp got stored into a windows.old folder (which i deleted because it was 19 gigs of stuff that I didnt need). there were also a couple of folders in my C drive that were left over from the xp installation but i'm not sure if vista needs these. These folders are i386 and drivers, I'm probably going to hang onto the drivers folder until i see what's in there but I want to know if it is safe to delete i386. Its taking up 1.5 gigs of space and I have other uses for that much storage.

also, how can i verify if the recovery partition still exists or not? And if it does, how do i remove it?

That should be the last of my questions. Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
disk management
by rmhoman / March 15, 2007 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

the best way I have found in vista to see if a partition is there is to right click on "my computer" go to "manage" and enter the storage section that should tell you what partions are there and if you right click on a partition it will give you several options. Just be careful. don't just go in there clicking like a madhatter or you could mess things up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?