Laptops forum

General discussion

Should I increase the RAM or get a new unit?

by abin06 / September 20, 2008 2:47 AM PDT

Hi All,

I have been using a Lenovo laptop for the past 2 years without any problems. It is an Intel Celeron M 420 1.6 Ghz system with 512 Mb RAM, 60Gb HDD, Intel 945 GM Chipset. My needs are very basic .... lots of net surfing, playing DVDs and working on spreadsheets, which the unit still does well. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP 2 on it. I have never formatted the machine but regularly defrag and clean the registry using ccleaner. It has become a bit slow now. I am a bit confused on whether I should get a new laptop with the latest specs or should I increase the RAM to 1 Gb. Could you please suggest , considering my needs what would be the best thing to do? Also advise what is the ammount of RAM I should have on this machine for best performance. What is the max RAM supported by XP? Can I use a Tv tuner card with this machine?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I increase the RAM or get a new unit?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I increase the RAM or get a new unit?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP Pro has become more hungry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 3:39 AM PDT

I think your idea of moving to 1.0GB to be a good idea. More good ideas at;forum-threads

"What is the max RAM supported by XP?"

In your case, and the maximum that your machine can hold is supported. For a longer answer, see and ask this question.

"Can I use a Tv tuner card with this machine?"

I don't know. But I know I use Tv tuner cards from ATI or Hauppauge on many many laptop of less power than what you have.

Collapse -
It all depends...
by jorge.avila.m / September 20, 2008 1:17 PM PDT

One thing is changing computer and another getting more RAM (there is a lot of money difference)... getting more RAM will give a new life to that computer (I'd recommend installing a fresh windows XP after the RAM upgrade)... you should check at or to know the RAM max and type of configuration that your laptop supports.

The only thing you should be aware, is that new applications are more CPU and RAM demanding, which means your computer might get somehow obsolete, of course this depends in whether you will be upgrading your apps or not...

If I were you, I'd upgrade the RAM first, the upgrade RAM cost is not that expensive and you will end up with a spare-laptop when you get your new one next year Wink

Jorge Avila

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?