Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

Question

Should I go with Dell XPS 13 9360 or a MacBook Pro 13 2016?

Jul 1, 2017 12:49PM PDT

Hi Guys,

Got a big question. Could you help me out? I'm about to buy a new laptop and I'm thinking about Dell XPS 13 9360 FHD I7 processor 256 gb 8 gb RAM, or MacBook Pro 13 2016 256 gb 8 gb RAM i5 non touch bar.

I personally love both, but can't decide which to choose. I love Mac's touchpad and keyboard - generally the whole design of it. On the other hand, I've never used OSX. I'm working on Mcs Office and I don't know if Apple's Pages Keynotes etc. will do well. I like Windows a lot, but I think I would get used to OSX. I'm a student, I need a machine for web browsing, work like writing and opening documents and stuff, watching films and such things. I'd like to also ask about Office for MacBooks. Is it similar to the Windows one or isn't it? Can Pages be used as Word, and the documents, do each other open their docs without any problems?

I'll be really thankful for some good response that will help me choose. Happy

Cheers Guys

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Answer
Office is pretty much Office on both.
Jul 1, 2017 12:59PM PDT

But the Apple does tend to run more so there's that. If it wasn't for my work on apps I'd get an Apple.

The XPS is a fine choice and CNET consistently upvotes it.

As to Office, if you can, try out LibreOffice as it's on Apple, Windows, Linux and what else?
If you get Office for Apple, I don't see you having much issue or steep learning ahead.

- Collapse -
Processor - is it a big deal?
Jul 2, 2017 9:35AM PDT

As I said, the model of XPS has the i7 7200 and the Mac has a slower i5 6200. Will I be able to see the difference while daily usage? Is there a visable difference between those two apart of slower clock?

- Collapse -
For me, the big impacts are the change from....
Jul 2, 2017 9:53AM PDT

I'm pulling up older machines from the graveyard (the IT closet) by changing the HDD to SSD. It's rarely a matter of the CPU today when it comes to Office.

So I can't guess which models you are comparing but here, I always suggest folk get their new machines with SSD.