Question

should i go verizon or att for the new iphone5?

i currently have tmobile and the contract is up. i want the new iphone5, but i am not sure who is a better carrier, verizon or att in the chicagoland area. better coverage/perks??

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: should i go verizon or att for the new iphone5?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: should i go verizon or att for the new iphone5?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
There's no hard/fast answer. It's subjective.

Understand, Chicagoland is huge- I'm there too Wink. Coverage can vary from block to block, so that will have to be trial and error on your part. In some places the indoor coverage won't be as good from one carrier or another based on the construction materials of a particular residence/workplace. That has nothing to do with the carrier unfortunately.

Even being on the opposite side of a tall condo bldg/skyscraper might mean you pick one carrier over another because you face the correct cell site. YMMV.

Best way is to find out what service your friend's/neighbors have, just to get a sense of coverage you need. ATT & Verizon will have very similar pricing when you get down to the brass tacks.

- Collapse -
No Doubt About It

I agree with Pepe , I live on the south side of Chicago and have Verizon wireless and most of the time I can't even get a signal at my house! Walk down the street and get full bars, Dunno why ! My neighbor has ATT right next door and has no problem.....Location , Location , Location.....Digger

- Collapse -
Answer
An interest bit of trivia about Chicago.

Schaumburg, Il. is home to what was a major cell phone designer and maker. I worked for them long ago and at the time when the cellular system was just going digital. The writing was on the wall when their current leader forbid any work on digital cellular. They had customers with some billions of dollars invested in old analog systems and the politics on this was amazing. The story played out just as expected.

But if I was to expect good coverage, it would be in that area. But I'm comparing this to say Podukola, Wi.

Beyond that I would not rush to the 5. The deal is a year later.
Bob

- Collapse -
[OT] Did you live in Chicago then?

It's funny how Motorola is switching gears again and moving Moto Mobility to downtown Chicago. So many of the suburban 'corporate campuses' are completely dead now.

My wife's firm (coincidentally, also in Schaumburg) is no longer supplying parts for Motorola handsets, at least not as far as I know. Apple still keeps them plenty busy in Shenzen Wink.

- Collapse -
Just visiting.

I was with their Canadian branch at the time and made a few trips there on various projects. Cellular base station design for that work.

- Collapse -
<nods>

Very interesting, Bob.

Coincidentally, I have a friend who was recently laid off from the big 'M'. He's an engineer mostly previously/mostly working on the base stations as well. Seems happier with his new company now. Apparently the new firm has brought back some of the fun stuff that Google promoted to build team camaraderie (foosball tables/food/etc.). If I were him though, I would just be happy he still has a paycheck and doesn't have to try to sell his house(!) Wink

- Collapse -
Answer
Stay with T-Mobile..they'r getting this iPhone5 also. yuppy!

you currently have T-Mobile for a reason (it does the job for you for much cheaper price). At least that coupled with the service coverage. That's why i use it in Atlanta.
Good news is: T-Mobile will have iPhone 5 on their network as well. yup, finally!

- Collapse -
That's not a done deal yet, amigo (n/t)

n/t

- Collapse -
Yes, that was not announced today.

as stated, not a done deal

P

- Collapse -
Re: iPhone 5

I agree with mrmacfixit. Stay with T-Mobile. Neither Verizon nor AT&T are any good. I am currently with T-Mobile; have been for a few years now. I've had Verizon and AT&T
prior to being with T-Mobile. I would definitely not change! Just my personal experiences and opinion.

- Collapse -
Answer
AT&T or T-Mobile with IPhone5

The IPhone5 is capable of surfing the Internet and talking on the phone simultaneously. AT&T is the only carrier that you can use this capability. Beyond that, AT&T seems to have the best 4G coverage the phone uses.

CNET Forums