Phones forum

Question

Should I get the iPhone 4S or Samsung Galaxy S II?

by interxavier / June 24, 2012 1:32 AM PDT

I'm considering buying a new phone in a month as my current phone is starting to fall apart.

No, I did not make a typo. The S3 is still not available in my area unlocked but I'm okay with the S2. I'm purchasing either phones unlocked as I don't live in the US. The iPhone 4S 16 GB sells for $712 in my area, while the 16 GB Samsung Galaxy S II sells for $520.

I'm a moderate user, so 16 GB should suffice. My primary usage will be on music, apps, and e-mail (Microsoft Exchange and Gmail). I will do a little web browsing from time to time. The battery life is also important, although this might not trouble me much given that I am a moderate user.

Which one should I get? Which phone is better with music, apps, and e-mail (MS Exhange and Gmail)?`

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I get the iPhone 4S or Samsung Galaxy S II?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I get the iPhone 4S or Samsung Galaxy S II?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Actually when you wrote Exchange, I thought
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 1:36 AM PDT

I wonder if they tried this yet. Have you?

Microsoft may have been tossing obstacles at the other platforms to get an edge on their upcoming WinRT (8) based phones.

If good to great Exchange integration is needed, I can't reccomend the stock Apple or Android. And so far I have yet to find a great simple app to sync calendar, contacts with groups and all that is Outlook on these platforms.

And yes, many are wondering why it's taking so long.
Bob

Collapse -
Experience with exhange
by interxavier / June 24, 2012 1:43 AM PDT

Do you own either phones? What is your experience with Exchange for each phone?

Collapse -
I have many Androids
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 1:53 AM PDT

And folk around the office have the apples. To call this working with Exchange is a bit of a long shot. Calendaring is a mess where we push and pull from a google calendar, and the stock contact manager has no groups that sync with Exchange.

From your reply I see you don't have access to either so I'm glad you know that the supplied apps are a source of complaint from those that first see them.

If all you need is email, that can work. If you want the rest, you may be hunting for better apps.

You can bet I wonder too how this didn't get fixed. But my bet is MSFT is working on it in their phones.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by interxavier / June 24, 2012 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I have many Androids

Thanks, I need the email for exchange because of school. I wanted to cross-link my school email to my gmail but the IT department decided to disable all IMAP servers for security reasons, which is why they turned to MS Exchange. No one but Microsoft gets the blame for all this mess.

Collapse -
Email does "work"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

But all the other exchange features or rather what you see in Outlook is where it starts falling apart. Research apps such as noted at http://www.syncdroid.net/ and notice that many require you have Outlook on your PC?
Bob

Collapse -
The problem may be...
by Pepe7 / June 24, 2012 2:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

...related to *which* precisely of the MS Outlook calendar features via exchange you need, or quite possibly how the company chooses to implement it on the back end. FWIW, my wife, brother-in-law and several friends all have either a 4 or 4S and work for different companies running MS Exchange. All of them use the calendar functions w/o issues. My wife had a couple of factory resets early on for other problems with email not showing up, but her calendar is what she sees in Outlook. The truth is it does work for some people, just not everyone.

Also, it is painfully easy to set up different email accounts on both of those phones/ecosystems. You could quickly have gmail going on either one, and it could be separate from your school email address. I think for what you need to do it's a wash, other than price.

Collapse -
Answer
Prefer iPhone 4S
by shoopt / June 25, 2012 7:52 PM PDT

Both cell phones are very good in their class.
Samsung Galaxy 2 model provides you approx all the features you need but iPhone 4S is superior than Galaxy S models as per my perception.
Galaxy S II provides Google play from where you can download million of applications where 4S provides you of iTunes that empowers you to get all your required apps.
Additionally Apple devices provides you i Cloud by which you can easily synchronize all your machines in real time.
Apple 4S provides you additional features which will be lacking in Galaxy II like the SIri and ratina display.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!