General discussion

Should I get a Video Projector instead of a TV?

Hi Guys, I currently have a 25" CRT TV because I don't really watch a lot of TV and I can't really fit or afford a proper sized flat-screen TV in my room.

A Video Projector sounded like a pretty good idea since I watch less than 10 hours of TV a week and when I do want to watch it I care about the quality
Also, I think it's cheaper, I've seen some models going for less than 1000$ that do 1080p and you can have 60" of projection easily with them, but I'm not sure of the performance during daylight

How many Lumens should It have so I can see stuff on my wall during daylight? what kind of projectors do you think would be good?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Should I get a Video Projector instead of a TV?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Should I get a Video Projector instead of a TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I don't know about others but i am confused.

You said; "I currently have a 25" CRT TV".... I can't really fit or afford a proper sized flat-screen TV"...then you talk about 60" projection.

I believed a high quality projector and screen will cost more. The advantage of projection is BIG screen (I think tv don't go higher than 65"). So what's your objective?

- Collapse -
A 40" TV on a wall isn't the same as a Projection screen

What I like about the Projector is that I can move it around and get rid of it when I don't use it and take it with me if i need it, I don't have the space for some furniture to hold a 42" TV, and Hanging it on the wall might not work since those TV's are very heavy

- Collapse -
How much do you think the 25" CRT tv weight?

50, 60, or 70lbs.; Guess how much a 32" lcd tv weight?...about 45lbs.

- Collapse -
Wrong quote;

25lb. for 32"; 35lb. for 40"; so 45lb must be for a 47".

- Collapse -
All projectors need to be shielded from daylight

With inexpensive projectors the problem is just more pronounced. You need to factor in the costs of a decent screen and blackout shades and replacement lamps into your projector budget. These setups can produce fantastic results but usually require more upfront investment than a flat panel.

CNET Forums

Forum Info