MacBooks forum

Question

Should I fix my processor or buy a new powerbook?

by taylorBM / September 1, 2011 7:24 AM PDT

My Powerbook all of a sudden wouldn't chime when I turned it on. (Could hear the motor running). I took it to Apple and was told I needed a new processor? which would cost $500. I am debating on whether or not to just get a new one (it's a 2008 with the aluminum keyboard I love)But I also love shiny and new.....I'm torn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I fix my processor or buy a new powerbook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I fix my processor or buy a new powerbook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What you have
by Jimmy Greystone / September 1, 2011 10:46 AM PDT

What you have is a MacBook Pro. The PowerBook brand was discontinued around 2005 when they went with an all "Mac" branding scheme.

If this is a 2007-2008 non-unibody MacBook Pro, take the thing back to the Apple store or some AASP and tell them to run the nVidia graphics chip test on it. It may be a bit of a long shot in your case, but if it pans out, it's a free logic board replacement. If they have no idea what you're talking about, take your laptop somewhere else.

I'm becoming less and less impressed with Apple store "Genius" diagnoses. Just fixed an iMac today where they said it was a bad CPU, but all it was, was a bad memory module. Had they simply run some EFI level memory tests they would have seen it fail one after the other. So I fixed the thing for around $200US where the Apple store diagnosis would have been more like $1400US. Do not hesitate to take it somewhere else for a second opinion. I'm sure they have some good retail level techs, but it's really no different from your average Best Buy or Fry's store tech. It's a crapshoot whether or not you'll get a good one, and honestly, the good ones usually don't stick around very long because they have the skills to get a better job. With Apple stuff, I'd honestly look for an AASP, where they actually need to earn your business a lot more than an Apple retail store. Which isn't to say there aren't plenty of shady operations around, but plenty of smaller AASP repair shops will likely hire people based more on their technical competency rather than social skills like Apple does for its retail stores.

Collapse -
Answer
Should I fix my processor ?
by berniedd / October 30, 2011 2:53 AM PDT

If it's a defective processor indeed, it doesn't pay to replace it. It is soldered to the logic board and difficult to replace. It is much easier to replace the whole board.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.