Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Should I exchange my ZUNE?

I had a case of the 3-S's today: Surprised/Shocked/Stunned when a very good vendor of mine gave me a ZUNE as a belated Christmas gift (there's no strings attached to this; my company spends $1000's with him and he was just giving me a gift of appreciation for our business.)

I had never wanted an MP3 player because they just don't fit into my lifestyle. But, now that I received this free one, I thought "Why not?"

I've opened the box, downloaded the programs and have been playing with it all night long. But, I'm extremely disappointed in the horridly limited song choices on ZUNE that don't represent one cell of my being. I only listen to soundtracks, opera and 80's alternative music like Eno and Frip.

Every one of my friends has an ipod so I am extremely familiar with the operations of it and also the zillions of songs that they offer. I did "Searches" on ZUNES and found no hits for my loves and then did "Searches" on ipod and found up to 15 hits for specific tunes I enjoy.

I do like the FM radio feature and the large screen which showcases photos beautifully, but that's NOT why you buy an MP3 player.

Additonally, with today's announcement of the i phone being launched in June 2007, I'm wondering if I should just sell my 12 hour old ZUNE on ebay and wait for the i phone or give the ZUNE some some time and hope that Microsoft can add some decent music to their list.

I hope that you don't think that this is too dumb a question to ask help about. So, ebay or hang onto the ZUNE?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I exchange my ZUNE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I exchange my ZUNE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your choice, but why not...

In reply to: Should I exchange my ZUNE?

Get what you want?

Bob

Collapse -
Explain

In reply to: Your choice, but why not...

Not sure I understand your reply, Bob.

Collapse -
I can't explain what you want.

In reply to: Explain

These are personal preferences. Why not go with what you want?

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) If you really want an iPod, then get one

In reply to: Explain

Collapse -
Keep it

In reply to: Should I exchange my ZUNE?

I don't think you'll get very much anyway, but anything is possible I suppose.

The Zune marketplace isn't quite up to par with iTunes, but it's still new, so give it some time. iTunes wasn't built in a day. Even if you don't like their store, you can always put music you already own on it. That's really the point of these things anyway.

I have several iPods and the one thing I don't like about them is that they don't support subscription content. And the Zune does, albeit with their limited offerings. But I have a lot of music (2500 CDs) that I've collected over the last 20 years so that isn't really an issue with me. I buy songs on iTunes to fill in the gaps of my collection. But if you don't own very much, it would be very expensive to fill up a 30GB player. Imagine how expensive it would be to buy 5000+ songs. That's if we're doing things legally here, but that's for another thread. Subscriptions are a good way to quickly fill your player up without spending a lot of money.

I'm not a big fan of the Zune. I like the hardware but Microsoft's rollout of the player and the supporting software leaves a lot to be desired. I would hope in time their store will get better.

There are 2 stores you might want to take a look at - eMusic and Audio Lunchbox - they sell their music in mp3 format so they will work with any player, iPod and Zune included. I don't know if they will match your tastes, but they tend to favor independent labels and artists. They are both subscription services but are a little bit different. You pay a monthly fee to download a certain number of tracks. Emusic starts at $9.99 for 30 downloads and you get a free trial. You won't be downloading thousands at a time, but once downloaded you own rather than rent them.

Free is free. If someone gave me a Zune (I really like the black one), I would keep it.

Collapse -
Eating my words while enjoying my ZUNE

In reply to: Keep it

Hey ktreb: Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful response! I appreciate the time.

Well, it's been 22 hours since I got the ZUNE gift. I couldn't download a thing yesterday and stayed up til 2:00 am trying. The Support for ZUNE doesn't wake up until 6:00 am PST, so at 8:00 am, I gave them a call. My service tech was named Rebecca, and two hours and 18 minutes later, EVERY SINGLE ISSUE THAT I HAD HAD WITH ZUNE IS GONE!!! In fact, if I had a chance to now get an ipod, I wouldn't take it, but would cling greedily to my ZUNE!

First, Rebecca discovered that I needed to update both my Windows Media Player and Flash Player. After those were installed and the computer restarted twice, she then had me update the 3rd latest version of ZUNE. Her patience was beyond extraordinary and while we were waiting for pages to download or the computer to come back online, I'd ask her all of the questions that I had. For instance, if I had typed in "Harry Potter", ZUNE didn't recognize it; but, if I typed in "John Williams", it brought me to all of the 80+ albums he's scored.

I also had had issue with their lack of musical genres. Seems like ZUNE lumps most everything into "MORE", which is where Eno, Frip, Piazolla, etc are dumped. So, all of my beloved music which is on album, tapes, and CD's was located, just in spots that for the moment don't make the most logical sense for a search engine. But, once you get into an area, a box will pop up linking you to similar artists, which is how I've found everyone.

But, the BIGGEST thing that has now sold me on the ZUNE was the exact thing that I hated about ipod: for a flat fee of the ZUNE PASS ($9.95) you have access to 100% of their music!!!! People: I spend upwards of $8-$10 per day on Starbucks...I think that I can financially swing spending ten bucks for millions of songs! There is NO LIMIT to how much you can download...none.

Realistically, this solves so many problems for me. I had quite literally run out of space in my home to add any more CD's so for the past 5 years, I bought no new music. I finally boxed up 100's of CD's to create more room, but you know what that means: once they're boxed up, you never play them again.

Then there's the issue of my traveling for my job. With CD's, I'd have to lug them around, I'd leave them at one residence of mine and wish I had them at the other. This way, I've already downloaded 131 albums of mine onto my ZUNE, so no more lost CD's.

Lastly, and most importantly, is the cost factor. Last month alone, I spent over $100 on new Shirley Bassey and Eartha Kitt CD's. Every single one of them is on ZUNE. So, for basically, $120.00 per year, (or just $20 bucks more than I just spent), I can have 1000's of my albums stored on ZUNE. That's a win/win decision on my part.

My best friend who owns an ipod, to date has spent over $750.00 on itunes cards in less than one year. This does not include their own CD's that they ripped to their ipod. There is NO way that I'll spend that kind of money for something that I can't hold in my hand. Plus, her itunes clogs up her computer drive and the ZUNES stores all my albums on their site, freeing up my computer.

I know that it's been less than 24 hours since I wrote my first plea for help, but after talkig to Rebecca for over 2 hours, she walked me through every question and issue that I had had. And in regards to the lack of stuff to buy for it, she said, "ipod is 5 years old. We're currently working on deals with several firms for product tie-in so we will be increasing our music and accessories monthly. That's good enough for me!

So, I figure that since I no longer buy DVD's to clog up my space but go to Netflix and am happy with that decision, I'll "rent" the music from ZUNE and have virtually 100% of my 1000+ CD collection in the palm of my hand.

Thanks to everyone who wrote in response to my question! This site is so helpful.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.