Question

Should I download IE9

Microsoft keeps prompting me to upgrade to IE9 but I'm apprehensive that I may experience a pile of problems if I do so.
I am running Win7 Ultimate 64 bit with IE8. This was a clean install on a homebuilt pc. My a/v is Avast.
So - appreciate advice on what to do: Should I forget it or install it from Windows Updates? What kind of problems should I expect to have during the install?
Will I have problems with the other common applications I use such as Malwarebytes, CCleaner, IOBit, Adobe, Wise Disk Cleaner, etc.?
I'd appreciate any advice and comments I can get.
Thanks,
Bob

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Should I download IE9
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Should I download IE9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I would say yes

I would say yes, and then I would say that at the same time you should move away from using IE as quickly as possible. Microsoft has, to be fair, made some impressive strides security wise with IE since it left IE6 to rot for several years, but it's still a very long road it has to travel.

So for those few times when using IE is completely unavoidable, you should always be using the latest version to ensure it has as up to date security as is possible for IE, but for the other 99.99999999999999999999999% of the time you should be using something else. Pick any one from this list and make it your new primary browser, relegating IE to those times when you absolutely cannot find the same content any other place, and the site absolutely will not work with anything other than IE: Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari. Pick one of those 4, doesn't matter so much which, leave IE alone.

You would also probably be wise to look into Foxit Reader to replace Adobe Acrobat Reader. Then if you're not using IE, there'd be little need for Malwarebytes, disk cleaning programs are scams so you can dump that any time, CCleaner has its uses but I find the majority of people think it's some kind of magic panacea program so if I'm saying anything that seems even remotely like news to you, you'd probably be better off getting rid of that too. And then after a little quick googling, iobit seems to be one of those registry cleaning/system optimizing scam programs, so I'd dump that too. Those programs cause way more problems than they ever resolve or prevent.

Sorry to dump all over you like that, especially when you asked what you thought would just be a simple question about IE9, but in the long run it'll be a good thing.

- Collapse -
Add to that
+1 Cool

The average user of computing systems (non-IT folk) should need to realize that their computing experience, and the quality of it, is largely dependent on the quality and type of programs they choose to run, and also on the decisions they make, particularly on what type of programs they install.

If working in a corporate environment, that computing environment should be, and often is, set up to conduct the work and tasks necessary to ensure and increase profits and productivity in that environment.

IT people are tasked with creating that environment with the highest level of security where they can, and do not have the time or money to waste on registry cleaners, download enhancers, etcetera.

If the average user could model their environment more closely to the business environment by ensuring they had the latest secure versions of the programs they choose to install and run on their systems, and get rid of the stuff not needed, then the need for support from us might be a little less.

Much as Microsoft has been maligned in the past, you do not think that some sort of allowance or leeway has been made for a system, by design, to work perfectly well even if the registry is not in perfect shape?

1.) Decision making on what is installed and run on your system should be modeled more closely to the corporate environment. Example: A student needs to be able to surf the 'net to write a term paper. A lawyer needs to have the tools necessary to research the law and present the best defense possible.

2.) Using your computer like an old-fashioned telephone, (dial-rotary land line) is just simply not going to get it done in this day and age. You are responsible for what goes on your computer, and you are responsible (you are your own IT staff) for your own security. No one else really is.
- Collapse -
Should I download IE9

Jimmy,
Thanks for your reply. As for "dumping" on me- no problem. I'm always interested in comments and suggestions. I've thought about using Firefox but some of the apps I use are incompatible with it.
I received four answers to my post but none of them addressed my question about problems in downloading and using it. In the past I've seen comments from people who experienced problems when downloading IE9 as well as problems that crop up after it's installed such as problems with the OS and problems using other apps.. That's why I've stayed with IE8.
I would like to know what you've heard in this regard and if you have any tips to avoid experiencing the same problems myself.
Thanks................Bob

- Collapse -
In my experience

In my experience, the people who experience some sort of problem while upgrading had some other problem such as malware, that then hosed the upgrade. If you're malware free, things are generally running great, you're probably safe. No guarantees naturally, but you can say the odds are in your favor.

- Collapse -
Should I download IE9

Jimmy,
Thanks for your reply and thanks to all who replied.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
All Yes answers, and one from me

But my post is about the other titles you mentioned.

IOBit and Wise Disk Cleaner. Both registry cleaners and I know IOBit is an optimizer as well. I assume Wise Disk Cleaner tells you it is too.

The regulars in these forums don't recommend them, nor any optimizers or registry cleaners. The posts we see where problems have been caused by such utilities deleting the wrong registry key or changing the wrong key value, tell us to stay away.

Mark

- Collapse -
Answer
Should you Install IE9

In a word "Yes". It is suppose to be more secure.

- Collapse -
Answer
Should I download IE9

Yes, You can download and install it, but before that you can create a restore point before you do this. Because if there is create some mess with that so you can restore your computer in correct order position. There will no changes will happen in your other software like Malwarebytes, CCleaner, IOBit, Adobe, Wise Disk Cleaner etc if you do the windows update.

- Collapse -
Not sure System Restore is required.

It is certainly always a good idea although Windows 7 always creates one anyway before installing any Windows Updates.

But in this case all the user has to do is uninstall the Windows Update that installs IE9 and IE8 will be restored.

Mark

- Collapse -
Should I download IE9

Mark - Thanks for the tip and thanks to all others who replied.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
By all means, go ahead.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, with IE9 in both 32 bit, and 64 bit versions. I have yet to have a problem with ether version of it. If anything, I think it's more stable than IE8, which I ran on my XP computer from the time it came out, to when I bought my new computer. So, go ahead, it is worth the upgrade.

Regards,
TMV

- Collapse -
Answer
Risk exists

Each upgrade has risks invoved.
From ver 7 to 8 I lost good features of ver 7
and it will be the same from 8 to 9.
You must upgrade one day, but take your time.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: IE 9

I have it and it is useless always crashing. Once you have ie you cannot get rid of it so I never use it now. Chrome is best along with firefox.

IE 9 always saying it cannot connect etc etc it is rubbish........ Stick with IE8 or go with chrome.

- Collapse -
For those with IE9 problems

try disabling all add-ons, then reintroducing them one at a time until the culprit rogue add-on is identified, then leave that disabled or delete it.

Mark

- Collapse -
about chrome firefox and IE

Each of these three has his bad points. Firefox is not working well in some sites like Gmail and Hotmail and always making updates, and closing Tabs is hell. Chrome is not stable and has too few options. IE8 never remembers last save-to folders or favorits folders.
Still, IE8 is my choice or compromise.

- Collapse -
Answer
WATCH THIS VIDEO ON IE 9 & IE 8

I had downloaded IE9 and I didn't like it. I was so used to how IE 8 was set up... where the tabs were, and tools, etc.
so after having IE 9 for about 5 days, I reverted back to IE 8. My friend, the computer wiz, kept telling me to go back to IE 9 for safety reasons, but I didn't because I just hated how it was set up.

Then last week, I found a great YouTube video that a fellow made. In the video, he explained all of the changes between IE 8 and IE 9 and how to make IE 9 look like IE 8. So I downloaded IE 9 and then followed his instructions on how to make it look like IE 8, and now I'm a happy camper!

Here is the link to the You Tube video. It's 10 minutes long, but it's well worth the time to watch it. Have a notebook and pen handy and write down the points he makes that you know you would want.

Then go ahead and download IE 9, make your changes, and you'll feel like your still using IE 8.

Make sure you do a manual system restore point before downloading IE 9, that way you'll have a restore point to go back to... just in case.

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtKnQfdgMjM

- Collapse -
Answer
IF VISTA CAN HANDLE IT, THEN SO CAN WINDOWS 7

Hi there... I posted yesterday about a great video you can watch that was made by an IT person... that post is way down at the bottom. (IE 9 vs IE 8 and with details on how to make IE 9 LOOK LIKE IE Cool

I forgot to mention that I run Vista... the one so many say is a piece of horse s*hit, but I've had Vista since 2007 and have not incountered one problem with it. I had no problem downloading IE 9, then going back to IE 8, then later on downloading IE 9 again. I've had no problems with IE 9 on my Vista (keep quiet you nay sayers of Vista LOL)

So if my Vista desktop can handle IE 9, then your Windows 7 should have no problem. For security reasons, you should download IE 9, but always make a manual restore point before downloading ANY program... that way if you have problems with the program you downloaded, you can then use your manual restore point to go back to prior to the download that is giving you problems.

- Collapse -
Should I download IE9

mkrock,

Thanks for both your posts. I will certainly view and make notes on the video you provided and I will certainly make a manual restore point before downloading IE9. I'm getting ready to upgrade my computer with an Asus P8P67 mobo, Intel Core i5-2500k (3.3GHz) cpu, and WD Velociraptor hard drives so I'll have to do a clean install of Win 7. Too bad I can't bypass IE8 and do a clean install of IE9. Seems to me that would reduce the possibility of problems.
I surely appreciate your comments and suggestions as well as those from many others on this forum.
Thanks again
Bob

- Collapse -
DON'T FORGET MICROSOFT UPDATES AFTER YOUR CLEAN INSTALL

It would be nice to just by pass Windows 8, but if there is a way to do that, I'm not the one to ask LOL. After doing your clean install of Windows 7, and BEFORE downloading IE 9, make sure you do all of Windows Updates. If there are Service Packs for your Windows 7 IE 8, you will need to download those before downloading IE 9. (4 months ago I did a complete reformat of my Vista, and when I went to do the Microsoft Updates there were 212 updates to download, which took a very long, long, time to download)

Just a thought... go to Microsoft's website (which I find useless) to see if you can by pass IE 8, and also go to YouTube and see if anyone has made a video on how to by pass it. Maybe a genius out there figured out how to do that. Best of luck you to you. Pop us a note when all your work is done and let us know how it went. Mary 8-)

- Collapse -
Should I download IE9

mkrock:
Yeah, I've been thinking about SP1 for Windows 7 plus the truckload of updates after Win7 is installed. That will probably take at least another day or two, and I expect they won't download cleanly. I've been thinking I might download a portion of them at a time to avoid freezeups.
I've been looking everywhere to find a way to bypass IE8 but haven't found a thing. Most of what I found concerned questions from those who downloaded IE9 and wanted to return to IE8. Seems like many people don't lke it
Thanks.............Bob.

- Collapse -
Downloading updates after clean Windows 7 install

Regarding the updates: As you said, there will be a bunch of updates to download plus SP1 for Windows 7.
Would it matter if I download SP1 after the other updates have been downloaded or should I just download the updates in the order in which they're presented before downloading IE9?
Thanks..................Bob

- Collapse -
Ideally, Install SP1 To Win7 BEFORE Installing IE9

If you install IE9 before installing SP1 and other updates, then you will be unable to uninstall IE9 without removing the service pack.. If you install IE9 AFTER SP1, then you can easily uninstall IE9 should you not like it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Install SP1 to Win7 before installing IE9

Griff: I understand what you mean about installing IE9 but I did a lousy job posing my real question.
There will be a bunch of updates to download, including SP1, when I reinstall Windows 7. When I install the updates for Win7 should I make SP1 the LAST update to install or does it make any difference as long as I install all of them before installing IE9?
Thanks.................Bob

- Collapse -
When I Perform A Clean Install Of Win7...

...If SP1 has not been pre-installed, the first thing I do is download and run this "preparatory" update before attempting the SP1 installation. Although it's not always needed, I find it easier to simply install this before running the SP1 install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533552/en-US

Next, I download and install SP1 using the downloadable FULL offline installer file.. SP1 is inclusive of all the updates prior to the service pack and it's not required to install them first.. After the service pack is installed and the computer is restarted, I then run Windows Updates to make sure all the updates are there, THEN I install IE9 last.. Once IE9 is installed, I run Windows Updates again because there will be more updates for the new version of Internet Explorer..

And finally, I run Windows Updates one more time.. You'd be surprised that there will be more updates needed.

But as to your question, it's not really important if you want to install Windows Updates before installing Service Pack 1.. It just takes longer.. And YES, be sure to install IE9 last.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
When I perform a clean install of Win7

Grif:
What a great answer, especially because you added some information I hadn't thought about such as the "preparatory" update before attempting the SP1 install.
When I read your answer in context, it seems you are advising that I install SP1 first, and then make sure I get all the remaining updates before attempting an IE9 install so I'll sure follow your advice.
Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Bob

- Collapse -
Of Course, You Could Simply Follow These Instructions

CNET Forums