Windows 7 forum

General discussion

should i change from xp to 7?

by camforme / August 12, 2010 4:48 AM PDT

I have a intel duel core e6750 @ 2.66
Mother board is intel p35. windows xp. geforce 8500 512mb graphics card.
i currently have 2gb memory (kingston 800 mhz).
I use comp for computer graphics only.
It is pretty slow saving big files and i occasionally get out of memomry msg when converting to pdf.
I am thinking of changing to 64 bit sys addnig 2gb more ram.
Should i put xp or win 7
What can you advise me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: should i change from xp to 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: should i change from xp to 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Even with 2GB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 4:53 AM PDT

I'd still install Windows 7 64 bit AFTER I know I can find all the drivers for the machine, printer and what else I have.

We are down to a few last XP machines at the office and if it wasn't for the fact these are 6 year old machines that we use to test if our software runs on XP, they would be gone.
Bob

Collapse -
Getting new Experience
by william-robert / August 12, 2010 5:06 PM PDT

Dear

Your configuration is enough for windows 7 and it has new feel that you could not get from windows xp so try this one and use its smartness in the World of OS WAR.

Collapse -
Maybe
by Dango517 / August 13, 2010 11:47 AM PDT

See the blue box? Run that software.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx

Better take note about that driver bit Bob mansions it's important. You might check with the OEM (Original equipment manufacturer) of your equipment to be sure and your printer and other peripherals as well. E-mail them.

Is your RAM upgrade available? How old is RAM, can you up grade it or is it obsolete. You'd better check.

Collapse -
should i change from xp to 7?
by estefan202 / August 13, 2010 11:57 AM PDT

well what apps do you run. your under 4gigs wich is fine for 32bit os. the one thing with 64bit os is every app needs a digital signature. so that cans alot of old apps. xp is the odest most stable os when you use ntfs. new bells and whistles, yea your system can handel it. each revision of ms os uses more. unless your aps need 7, stick with xp

Collapse -
XP or 7 for Graphics work?
by Zouch / August 13, 2010 10:58 PM PDT

Generally, graphics applications do benefit from larger memory spaces. You could put the extra 2 GB into the machine as it stands and XP 32 bit will recognise about up to 3.5 GB of it. That might be all you need and certainly would be the cheapest option - but no loss if you subsequently decide to go 64 bit.

a 64 bit system will give you a much bigger address space, with 4 GB real, a virtual address space of 8-10 GB should be very practical.

Before you take that step, though, do heed Bob's warning about drivers for ALL your devices. Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (free download from Microsoft) with all your devices attached and powered on. Then check out the manufacturers' web sites for updated drivers for any devices the advisor flags up. It will also check your applications - Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat need to be at pretty much the latest levels and they aren't exactly cheap!

If you do decide to go 64 bit, it's a no brainer - go Windows 7 - you really don't want to mess with XP 64 bit!

You also mentioned that saving your big files is very slow - 64 bit won't necessarily help the actual saving, though it may help in the generation of the file to be saved. You didn't mention what hard disk you have - if it's an older PATA or SATA 1, you might want to consider upgrading to a SATA 2 (add-in cards are available if your motherboard doesn't support it).

You might even want to consider a solid state hard "disk" - Kingston, Intel and others are now offering models that won't break the bank.

Collapse -
try the simple stuff first...
by DavidND / August 14, 2010 6:06 AM PDT

Agree about the drivers completely. DO NOT even start the process until you have STABLE drivers for everything.

In terms of effective use of memory, forgive me if its a stupid question, but have you flicked the 3 GB mem switch in XP? NO matter how much is installed, you do have to positively make that switch rather than simply install.

Lastly, try upgrading to more cores if your mobo can handle them. That will speed up apps no end.

Collapse -
Drivers
by edrad80 / August 15, 2010 10:17 PM PDT

After installing Win 7 on my IBM Laptop I keep getting issues where the display driver flickers a lot and gives an error message. It has been 4 months now and I still cannot get this resolved. Should have checked compatibility first Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.