Samsung forum

Question

Should I buy the extended warranty?

by mydreamtv / December 3, 2013 3:34 AM PST

Last year I bought a Samsung Smart TV, the model number is: UN55ES6500FXZA and now they are offering to sell me the extended warranty. My problem is that I don't know enough about the technology contained in it that I have no idea what could go wrong with it, so, should I go for it?
Up to now my thinking on these extended warranties has been that they, in general, are a rip off but since I'm in the dark about this TV I'm uncertain what to do.
What could go wrong with it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I buy the extended warranty?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I buy the extended warranty?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
short answer is yes
by timberjet / December 16, 2013 9:20 AM PST

I just went through where my warranty had expired and five days later my tv broke. I would at least get 1 more year if I were you. even a minor repair can be upwards of 500 bucks. My 2012 tv has been cross country to be fixed twice now. I am currently waiting for it. There are problems documented in these samsung tv's. I know from experience as I have had most of them. 30 or 40 bucks is a whole lot better than the alternative. Now know this, samsung subcontracts extended warranty companies and does not provide it themselves. Read all the fine print. from experience.

Collapse -
by mydreamtv / December 17, 2013 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: short answer is yes

Could you be more specific about the problems with this TV? It's my first LED and so I have no idea what could go wrong.

Collapse -
Answer
I too was sceptical.
by startreklaptop / December 16, 2013 11:40 AM PST

I was skeptical too about buying extended warranties, and I'm sure in some cases it is a waste of money. But when buying expensive electronics like todays flat screens its probably a good idea. I bought a insignia 20" TV with a 2 year warranty. Passed on the extended warranty. On the 25th month it bit the dust. But now like you I bought a new Samsung Smart 32". I figured it was worth the $29.93 for an added 3 years! For me its at least a little peace of mind knowing I have something to possibly fall back on.

Collapse -
by mydreamtv / December 17, 2013 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: I too was sceptical.

Sounds like your extended warranty offer is a deal, my offer is $299.99 for 3 years or $119.99 for 1 year. I can't explain the price discrepancy but it might have to do with the size of mine, it's a 55", also, there's no deductible.Hmm, I'm looking closer at the letter, it came from Samsung, & it says it's an "extended service plan", I wonder how that differs from an extended warranty?
More inconsistencies: the letter states the correct model number of my tv but they call it an "LCD" when in fact it's a "LED".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.