The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Should I buy an iPod Touch?

I'm considering buying an iPod Touch to replace my aging, crash-prone 2nd gen nano. (Today it played one of my songs for one second when I selected BOL, and then went back to the main screen.) Do you think Apple will release a new Touch sometime soon to complement the iPhone 3G? If so, do you think it will be substantially better such that I'll wish I had waited, or will the 1st gen Touch with the 2.0 firmware still be cool?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I buy an iPod Touch?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I buy an iPod Touch?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let me look into my crystal ball....

In reply to: Should I buy an iPod Touch?

(Queue soothing music, windchimes, and incense...)

I say wait, but not necessarily for an iPod Touch that's remarkably new and improved. Maybe for one that have a slight price drop ($249/$359/$459) and come loaded with the 2.0 software. Perhaps improved battery life, but that is not for certain. It's very cloudy on the 64GB version....perhaps at MacWorld and once Creative and SanDisk come out with their own 64GB flash players.

The announcement for the announcement to come in mid-August....

Wait until at least mid-September. You don't really have anything to lose, unless you have to have something now.

Collapse -
You should wait

Compared to the price of the iPhone 3G, the iPod Touch is REALLY expensive, so I think Apple will be reducing the price of the iPod Touch sometime in the not-so-distant future. There was also an article on News.com talking about this too (see:http://tinyurl.com/5k7rlq) . So I'd say to wait, even if it's just a price drop, you can't lose. Or it could be a completely new revision of it. In any case I'd wait

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: You should wait

It's about time it had an update.

Collapse -
What are you talking about

In reply to: You should wait

You do realize that the iPhone has a VERY EXPENSIVE rate plan right? and that you're paying more for the 3G in the end right?

Collapse -
Ahh

In reply to: What are you talking about

But you're getting phone service and data as well.

Collapse -
Well, yes, but

In reply to: What are you talking about

it is a phone, you're getting the service that you're paying for, and in my case, I can get it here contract free for about AU$700, and an iPod touch of the same capacity, for AU$400. However, if you're on a plan, and you pay $200 for your iPhone, and get phone service, it's cheaper generally than buying iPod Touch, and a mobile/cell phone.

Collapse -
Wait till the Fall Music Event....

My recommendation.....

Wait till this September when Apple hosts their annual Fall Music event where they introduce new iPod products, (and probably this year, iMacs and etc...)

My prediction: iPod touch will get a huge redesign....

Collapse -
Agreed

In reply to: Wait till the Fall Music Event....

I think the touch is a the new workhorse of the iPod family. This fall should see that come to fruition.

Collapse -
my guess is there will be a capacity bump or

a price drop mid september so wait if you can. Apple always seems to refresh the iPod line at that time as well as make new iTunes announcements.

I am personally hoping those rumors about Apple readying a subscription music plan might finally come to fruition this year. I might actually use the iTunes store again if that were to happen.

Collapse -
I don't know about that...

In reply to: my guess is there will be a capacity bump or

I don't know if Apple will plan to do Pay Subscription plan...

Apple has been really really REALLY been up and arms and against the idea of Subscription music plan...

Although rumors has it that Apple might start that kind of service, my crystal ball tells me that is unlikely, since Steve Jobs is very against music rentals.... (unless Apple starts the "comes with Music" like plan, where you pay something per month, and you get unlimited music, and you keep the music forever if you cancel the subscription...)

Collapse -
I agree, probably won't happen

In reply to: I don't know about that...

But I would love iTunes to have a subscription service. I already use Rhapsody to go on my non-iPod SanDisk Sansa Clip and I would switch in an instant. I already have the iPods...might be willing to buy another one if it was necessary.

Collapse -
You will never get to keep subscription music.

In reply to: I don't know about that...

on any service. No label in their right mind is going to let you download all the music you want, quit the service and then walk away with thousands of CD's worth of music for 15 or 30 bucks. Not that care. I still want to own my music and for that I'll use Amazon or assorted other drm-free shops. But a subscription is a great way to audition an album before you commit to buying and to see if you really care about it after 4 or 5 listens.

Remember, Apple has also claimed that people didn't want to watch video on their iPods either. If the market speaks loudly enough Apple will all the sudden change its mind and pretend this was their idea to begin with. And iTunes may be on top right now but 2 years down the road the lack of drm-free music might really hurt their bottom line. I'd say the time is think of ways to breath new life into the service.

Collapse -
auditioning music...

In reply to: You will never get to keep subscription music.

That's why I use Rhapsody. That's $13.33 (I do 3 month increments) a month that goes to Rhapsody instead of Apple.

Collapse -
eMusic is my current auditioning system

In reply to: auditioning music...

But they has been hemorrhaging a lot of their better known indie labels who (presumably) think that they can get a better deal at Amazon. I can;t blame them but then again most of these bands on eMusic are largely unknown so they ought to be thankful that they have an opportunity to get heard. I'll spend 2 bucks two bucks to try out a band I have heard good things about. But I don;t spend 9 bucks on a whim so if they are only on Amazon I will likely pass them by.

So if Apple offered a subscription music plan I'd have to say goodbye to eMusic.

Collapse -
(NT) correction: time is RIPE to think of new ways

Collapse -
Touch

In reply to: correction: time is RIPE to think of new ways

The iPod touch is a fantastic toy right now. I've owned it for over 6 months and I do wish it was more durable. Even with Cases and skins I still manage to scratch the thing. The back has the typical array of scuffs and scratches and the black bezel has a some wear showing on the paint too...besides that though I really do love my touch.

Firmware 2.0 is very buggy and I would wait to get one until the new pricing comes out for it. I figure a new 8GB will be $199 soon enough. I really do wish the apps would run better and not completely spazz out at times. I just want my touch to be my PDA and at the moment it's not stable enough to do the job.

Collapse -
And that is why music companies fail

They expect to be as profitable as they were with physical media. Hence they are slow to get online, and lose their business to piracy, you can't fight progress.

Collapse -
Well, recently, in Walmart, iPod Touch Price dropped

I just saw the flyer of Walmart a week ago, suggesting that iPod Touch 8GB cost only 179.83. If I hadn't have a Sony Walkman NWZ-616, I would of bought one.

Your best bet is wait till september and get one then. Maybe there will be a price cut for the 8 gb model

Collapse -
macrumors doesn't recommend buying now.

According to http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Product iPod touch
Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon
Last Release February 05, 2008
Days Since Update 171 (Avg = 153)

Collapse -
iPod Touch?

It's really just a crippled iPhone...

Collapse -
you say crippled iPhone

In reply to: iPod Touch?

I say not on your life do I want to pay nearly $2000 US for voice/data/text over the life of a two year contract with AT&T (in the US). I would rather have a Touch and keep my "regular" cell phone and pay $28/month ($672 for 2 years) thank you very much.

The iPod Touch...for those of us who don't need a smart (or dumb depending on your feelings) phone. Wink

Collapse -
Its really hard to justify the almost 2K extra

the iPhone costs over the Touch. The Touch is not so much "crippled" as much as it is just less flexible because needs wi-fi to use a lot of the apps. Its like being given wings but still being tethered to a really long chain.

I have a friend who's on the fence right now about getting an iPhone or just getting a Touch. I've tried to sell him on the fact that the iPhone's number one feature is the freedom and immense possibility of having data anywhere anytime. But is that feature worth a minimum of 1920 dollars over the next two years? To me it is but that is a hard sell to someone less tech oriented. The Touch can still do most of the same things the iPhone can do and is a great device in its own right.

Collapse -
I don't think

Crippled iPhone is the right phrasing, it's a iPhone without the phone or camera. Essentially anyway.

Collapse -
Ipod touch just looks cool

My advice...buy yourself an mp3/4 player that have at least 4gb of space and can play movies. I recommend TEAC products becouse i have one and is working non stop for three years now. I live outside USA and i bought iphone. All I can tell is that sucks. Does not have camera, MMS, and cant send files via bluetooth to oteh phones... c mon those are the basic functions of a modern phone. I solved the camera and MMS problem but it was complicated (becouse i didt want to pay for the software). But what i hate most is using itunes to upload music and videos. To many any other mp3 players can yust copy paste the music and are a lot cheaper. Apple is expensive and popular becouse its design but the specifications are not good.

Collapse -
Hmm

In reply to: Ipod touch just looks cool

Who needs MMS if you have.... actual email attachments.
Might be nice if ipods weren't forced to work with itunes yes... But still at least it's a good program.

Collapse -
Well, I have to say

In reply to: Hmm

MMS is good, none of my friends have phones that can get e-mails, so MMS would be nice so I could send them pictures.

Collapse -
this is true about the iPhone.

In reply to: Well, I have to say

Email is not a substitute for MMS and and iChat-looking SMS program is not a substitute for a real iChat client.

I have to wonder how the 2.0 firmware team prioritized the features they added in the latest update. MMS and cut and past are pretty much the most universally requested features out there. How did minor changes like a redesigned calculator take precedence over basic functions like these?

Collapse -
I think...

In reply to: this is true about the iPhone.

The ideal situation would be for other phones to get email. It's about time MMS was rightfully made redundant.
Cut and paste is important but less than you'd think. You're mostly playing music or reading web pages. I have wished for cut and paste to send a link to friends, but that's it.

Collapse -
In the future possibly but for now SMS and MMS are realities

In reply to: I think...

Lots of people simply won't pay the current data premiums for their cell phones so I wouldn't hold my breath for the masses to start sending and receiving email on their phones the way they use SMS and MMS right now.

Not only that but the phone industry has a vested in perpetuating the use of SMS and MMS so that they can milk that cash cow for everything they can get. Granted its disgusting to have to pay so much for such tiny packets of information, but its still a reality nonetheless.

Speaking of the limitations of SMS and MMS, does anybody know of a way for the iPhone to let you know when you reach the 140 character limit while typing? Often I need to send complex lists (shopping, etc) to my family members via SMS and I am always worried that some information will get cut off.

Collapse -
I think MMS has its place

In reply to: I think...

The problem with e-mail is you're then getting all your e-mail to your phone, which I don't want, and also you're probably going to get spam eating up your data. The beauty of MMS is all you need is a phone number, which you already have. I personally think MMS is better than e-mail for the purpose of just sending a photo to someone. Just my opinion, but I like MMS.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.