HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Should I buy a new laptop?

by c_shura / April 21, 2015 1:35 PM PDT

I have a 4 and half years old thinkpad X201 tablet... the processor is i7-620lm. After I replaced the HDD by a SSD, and put a pair of 4G RAM inside (so a total of 8G), it doesn't bother me in the everyday use ever.
I also put new heat sink and paste to solve the overheating problem, and bought a new battery on ebay last year. The new one can hold up to 3 hours. It is not impressive using today's standard. But I rarely use it without the power cord.

Recently, I was tempted by the new macbook. The main reason is that I was always looking for a chance to try the mac OS, also the laptop is only 2 lbs. Honestly the only complaint on my thinkpad is the weight. It is more than 4 lbs with the new 9-cell battery.
Today I also saw the Thinkpad X1 deal... so tempted but decided not to buy it.

Anyway, I don't know if I should buy a new laptop... (and if the answer is yes, which one is better - bascially I was debating among X1, new Macbook, SP3 and new XPS 13)
I love my old laptop, and it is still good enough for my daily use (browse internet, document editing, watch movie/online video, and some engineering oriented programming such as MATLAB). But current laptops/ultrabooks are nicer, more powerful but lighter and can last longer.
I am always on short trips (driving distances) and the weight is not that a big deal but still bothers me a little bit.

Any opinion will be helpful. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I buy a new laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I buy a new laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Iffy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2015 12:10 AM PDT

While the models you listed are nice, the longer you wait the more you get in your next model.

Good to read you follow the ABC rule (always be charging) since that saves your battery for times you really need it.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by c_shura / April 22, 2015 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Iffy.

I agree that the good models/series always get better with the development of hardware and feedback of users.

I also like writing something on the trip, so the keyboard/typing experience is also important. I like the thinkpad keyboard and so far as I know, the keyboard on thinkpad is the best in the market. Is it true?

Thanks.

Collapse -
I've used so many keyboards over the years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2015 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

But the models you listed have nice keyboards. But to call out which is best you would have to try each one. For me I think they are all good enough for everyday typing.
Bob

Collapse -
Keyboard of SP3 and Macbook
by c_shura / April 22, 2015 4:10 AM PDT

I tried both in bestbuy and found they are not very comfortable. The key travel is short, and the keys are pretty hard (specially on the Macbook).

I know it is the sacrifice for the portability, though.

Collapse -
For me
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2015 4:19 AM PDT

A short learning curve. I must type a thousand words a day on the office supplied Lenovo Y510. It took a little time to grow accustomed to laptop keyboards when I moved off a desktop.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by c_shura / April 22, 2015 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: For me

I see. Thanks again for your replies!

Collapse -
Dell
by cnoel09 / April 26, 2015 11:33 AM PDT

The xps 13, or 15 would be a great option for you.

Check out our deals right now, if you purchase either on www.dell.com/fortcampbell you get a free 32" tv with the purchase of 699 or higher.

You don't have to be military to purchase from this site and you can use this coupon code to save an extra %10 off
SD8W88RF73RR3R

I work for Dell so feel free to email me if you have any questions cnimholt@gmail.com

Collapse -
Thanks man!
by c_shura / April 27, 2015 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell

The XPS 13 is a really good laptop. I am pretty impressed by its edge-to-edge display.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.