Question

should I buy a new computer and what kind?

Hi, everyone
I hope you can help me. I know very little about computers. I have a desktop that I bought, about 11 years ago. It is a Pentium 4. I need some advice. I want to get a new computer because this one is running really slow. What is your advice. I use the computer to pay bills, do research, download songs, download free games, email, watch videos, play games, use word, excel, ppt, homework - essays, basically almost every day to day things. What advice do you have for a person who doesn't know much about computers>

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: should I buy a new computer and what kind?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: should I buy a new computer and what kind?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Most are far better than any 10 year old PC.
- Collapse -
Answer
Look and see

Go to a local computer shop or office outlet store and "touch and feel" what's out there. See what they offer and ask direct questions of any vendors. Shop online and review pricing and PC make-up. Anything sold now is leaps and bounds better than you had 11yrs. ago. Just be sure you get what you want or need rather than desire, so you'll again have a PC for x-yrs.. Don't settle on the cheapest but as I mentioned even an entry model PC is better than an old 11yr. one.

tada ------Willy Happy

- Collapse -

hi,
thanks for the information. When I go look at some reviews online, some of what they are saying I don't understand. Could you suggest a good system for me? Should I get one that already built or one that I have to build? If I build one myself is it complicated?

- Collapse -
Re: confused

If you don't understand the reviews, it seems best to NOT try to build it yourself.

Just follow Willy's advise and have a look at your local computer shop or office outlet store. Tell the sales person what you want and ask him to do a few recommendations. Then - if in doubt - come back here for a second opinion about the models you consider.

Kees

- Collapse -
I have to agree. You don't want to build a PC.

Today it's become even harder to properly install Windows. I rarely see folk get it right and most are upset about that.

Not only are there hurdles in selecting parts, but then getting them all working together then the OS. No. You really need a ready to use machine.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: building your own PC

I'm sure I know nobody in real life who ever did that. So why should you?

Only some rather technically oriented members here do it. But I suspect they also repair their own cars and build there own houses Wink .

Kees

- Collapse -
The hard part is deciding, sometimes

If something appeals to you, then you check the "specs" and thus get a handle of anything similar. I can't offer your a PC 101 class but do suggest many of the OEM or brand name makers like Dell, Gateway, etc., offer models that vary little by little from low end to top shelf. Once you look at the more expensive models, you review the specs and see what it is made of. If you like to build, then use that as a guide in what to order. As others pointed out, if you feel uncomfortable then prepare yourself or have one build for you locally.

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums