The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

should I buy a laptop or a MacbookPro - hekp

by merrybrown / November 16, 2006 1:06 PM PST

I have 23 gigs of stuff on my iPod.
I want to watch them on my HD TV screen. Well at least the VideoPods. ?
I have tried "Airport" and wasted a week not making that work.
So I can either transfer all my iTunes to a Mac (transfering music etc...) or I an buy an iPod and try to make that work...thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: should I buy a laptop or a MacbookPro - hekp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: should I buy a laptop or a MacbookPro - hekp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iTV and FrontRow
by 2143436756292931057199946 / November 16, 2006 10:09 PM PST

I know exactly what you need. If you're trying to put all your media content (pictures, videos, and music) that is stored on your iPod (which is esentially coming from your iTunes Library) then you'll want a MacBook or MacBook Pro or frankly, any Apple computer. I haven't found the right product that will transmit the media from my iPod to my TV, that I personally liked. There are products out there that can, but none to what I really want it to do.

I'm sure you heard about Apple's "Front Row." ? Check it out on Apple.com website if you haven't. You'll see that this is what you're looking for (I believe.)

But in January 2007, Apple is supposed to release their codename product, iTV... that will stream all the media content on your computer to the TV. This iTV is shaped like a Mac Mini, will have a remote, and will have HDMI output and I think optical output as well.

Collapse -
2nd
by nickswim / November 16, 2006 10:48 PM PST
In reply to: iTV and FrontRow

If you use the Macbook (i.e. Front Row). You may have to convert the IPOD video file display to 720 x 480 to be able to watch it on your TV.

IPOD video files are usually 320 x 240 so you can watch them on the screen. So of the video files are at 320 x 240 they may look small on your TV, so you will have to convert them to 720 x 480 display.

Let me know if this is true with front row because I don't have a Macbook yet.. But my birthday is coming up on Tuesday (Nov 21st) & I may buy myself one.

If it is true that you have to convert the file, let me know I can talk you through of how to convert the file to the 720 x 480 display.

--Nick Schmidt

Collapse -
If you want it to work...
by Hagrun / November 16, 2006 10:14 PM PST

If you don't like reloading your operating system every couple months go with a Mac. If you are a gamer (and don't mind reloading Windows every so often) buy a Windows based laptop. Games are very slow to be released for Mac, but I'm happy to say that is slowly changing!

-Nate

Collapse -
I HAVE THE ANSWER!!
by nickswim / November 16, 2006 10:38 PM PST

It is very simple actually.
You need the Griffin "TuneCenter". $129.99.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tunecenter/

The Tunecenter allows you to attach your ipod to your TV to see photos, video, listen to radion, & even listen to the files on your ipod. It comes with a remote. So all you need is in this little dock station.

It comes with S video, Composite video, & A/V audio outputs (i.e. Yellow-video, White/Red-audio connectors). Plus has a PAL (Europe) / NTSC (US) switch. The dock station has an ethernet jack so you can hook it up with your Router. WIRELESS Version is "under development" (802.11b ).

BAD News.. it is currently back ordered because this is probably one of the hottest new ipod attachments out for the holidays. So you many want to search for some more products like this, but Griffin is PIMP..

Collapse -
Thanks for the input all
by merrybrown / November 17, 2006 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: I HAVE THE ANSWER!!

As I look at the responses, I am thinkging the Griffin Tune center makes the most sense. I buy a bigger iPod, and that and save a lot of money over a new Mac book.
Am I missing anything here?

Collapse -
nope
by nickswim / November 17, 2006 3:37 AM PST

sounds good to me.. if you get the tune center. Tell Griffin I said hi and let me know what you think of the product!!

--Nick Schmidt

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?