Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Should I be concerned??

Last night I was playing one of my games..ZUMA..that I had bought and downloaded and can use offline. Well, in the middle of the game..the monitor went black and then came back on....
am I going to have a monitor problem or could it be a computer issue?
I have HP..model 1010y with memory 512mb

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should I be concerned??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should I be concerned??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So this happened once?

In reply to: Should I be concerned??

Windows crashes too but no one seems to be fixing that...

Collapse -
yes just once

In reply to: So this happened once?

so I do not need to be concerned?
One other thing, sometimes when I am in stand by...because I go out to walk the dog or do some errands...when I try to come back online..it WILL NOT..I had to turn off the computer completely then turn on...what is that about? It has happened in the last 6 months or so about 3 times...

Collapse -
Just checking.

In reply to: yes just once

Being in warranty are you calling them about this? With each crash you have a chance to lodge a complaint with the maker and build your case for a free repair or replacement. Some wait till the warranty is over then claim "it's been buggy since I got it" but they never called it in.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob

In reply to: Just checking.

I am not in warranty any longer..I have had this since May of 2005..my warranty was for 3 years..

Collapse -
WIth just one crash?

In reply to: Bob

It's likely to be what they call a SEU (read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_event_upset ).

The problem here is that it's not a sign of impeding issues. It's when it's repeatable that we call it a bug and start working on it. However there are far too many buggy programs out there so you need to see if others are noting the issue too.
Bob

Collapse -
Blacking out

In reply to: Should I be concerned??

It sounds like the video is dropping out on you, could be several things. You are sharing the audio and video memory from the 512 mb's in the system. 512 mb's really isn't enough to do much with, especially gaming. You could improve performance by adding another 512 mb's (or more) and using a stand alone video card, 256 mb(video) should be sufficient.That would be a good starting point not to say there may not be other issues but my first guess would be insufficient memory (ram and vid ram) to suit the task(s).

Collapse -
wow

In reply to: Blacking out

I though 512 was PLENTY of memory...I guess not if I play games?? How do I check how much I have left???

Collapse -
not that much

In reply to: wow

512MB of RAM isn't that much, especially if you play games. You can use a program like AIDA32 or go to crucial.com to check how many available slots you have left. Just rememeber that if you are going to add ram, it's always a good idea to have the same amount of memory in each slot.

Collapse -
RAM

In reply to: wow

Try going for 2GB of RAM, should be a lot faster.

Collapse -
thank you

In reply to: RAM

I will get 2GB of Ram...

Collapse -
ok all

In reply to: thank you

I went to HP and put in my model number for the memory and this is what I get

Here are your memory upgrade options
Manufacturer HP - Compaq
Model Pavilion a1010y Series
Maximum Memory 3072MB
Standard Memory 128, 256, or 512MB removable
Number of Slots 4 (2 banks of 2)
Notes - Although it is physically possible to install more memory, the system will only recognize the maximum listed. Installing more memory may cause major problems. Consult the system's manufacturer for more information.

Module Size Part No. Memory Type
1GB PY106AA#ABA DDR2 PC2-4200 ? CL=4 ? Unbuffered ? NON-ECC ? DDR2-533 ? 1.8V ? 128Meg x 64 ?

512MB PY105AA#ABA DDR2 PC2-4200 ? CL=4 ? Unbuffered ? NON-ECC ? DDR2-533 ? 1.8V ? 64Meg x 64 ?

what does it mean it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE..does that mean I can not add memory? Tonight I tried to past something into word and I got a pop up "insufficient memory or disk space..so it seems I am in need of MEMORY...what do I do ???

Collapse -
WORD

In reply to: ok all

I meant POST something into WORD not past ...sorry

Collapse -
That's surprising.

In reply to: WORD

Even with 512MB of RAM I would not have expected a memory issue pasting anything into Word.

I think you mean Paste don't you. You copied something from somewhere else, to 'paste' into word. What was it you copied into Word? I don't mean in detail, I mean was it an image or text? How large was it? I know you can't tell exactly, but was it a large image, or was it pages and pages of text?

Memory, (RAM), may have been affected if the data copied was very large, and you had other applications open at the same time.

The other possibility is disk space. That's the hard disk, which is very different from memory. If your hard disk is nearly full, then you could be having disk space problems and this could, strangely, be causing memory problems because a certain portion of the hard disk is allocated to 'Virtual Memory'; but if the disk is full, the virtual memory, (also called the Paging File), will disappear.

Please check your disk space. Open up your My Computer from the icon on the Desktop or in the Start Menu, then highlight and right click your hard disk, called the "Local Disk (C: )". select Properties. That will tell you the used space and free space. Tell us both of those please.

About your RAM. I also would advise upgrading to 2GB, (in total), if you can afford it. The details you gave means that you could only have 3GB in total, (3072MB). But don't go that far, anything above 2GB is not needed and not used.

You have 4 slots where the RAM can go, and in one of them you already have 512MB. So, I would advice you go for 3 more 512MB modules, making 4 512MB modules in total. 4 x 512 = 2048MB or 2GB

Let us know the details above, and good luck with the RAM. You will notice a vast improvement.

Mark

Collapse -
ok

In reply to: That's surprising.

the used space is 13.0 GB and free is 129GB

Collapse -
Well, its not that then!

In reply to: ok

Happy

You have plenty of hard disk capacity, so it is not disk space then.

May be it is Virtual Memory. Can you check that by;

1] Right click your My Computer icon and select Properties.

2] Goto the Advanced tab.

3] Click the Settings button for "Performance".

4] In the new window, click the Advanced tab.

5] Under "Virtual Memory" click the Change button, (don't worry, if you don't want to change anything you can always cancel out).

6] If the option "System managed size" is not selected, select it now and then OK/Apply/OK/OK out.

Letting the system manage Virtual Memory is usually better than making your own settings.

By the way, you mentioned the copy/paste, but not how much you were trying to paste. That could be significant.

Mark
Collapse -
Mark

In reply to: Well, its not that then!

System managed size is NOT selected...
I was just trying to paste what I had put in my previous mail.
Here are your memory upgrade options
Manufacturer HP - Compaq
Model Pavilion a1010y Series
Maximum Memory 3072MB
Standard Memory 128, 256, or 512MB removable
Number of Slots 4 (2 banks of 2)
Notes - Although it is physically possible to install more memory, the system will only recognize the maximum listed. Installing more memory may cause major problems. Consult the system's manufacturer for more information.

Module Size Part No. Memory Type
1GB PY106AA#ABA DDR2 PC2-4200 ? CL=4 ? Unbuffered ? NON-ECC ? DDR2-533 ? 1.8V ? 128Meg x 64 ?

512MB PY105AA#ABA DDR2 PC2-4200 ? CL=4 ? Unbuffered ? NON-ECC ? DDR2-533 ? 1.8V ? 64Meg x 64 ?
that is NOT so much..right?

Collapse -
I would make that change to Virtual Memory.

In reply to: Mark

If you access that Virtual Memory dialog window again, (steps posted in my previous post), I would make that selection to let Windows manage your Virtual memory.

The Windows OS, (Operating System), usually knows best.

Mark

Collapse -
Certainly isn't a Hard Disk problem.

In reply to: ok

Maybe you should follow these instructions to increase your virtual memory.

The instructions are at http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_fix_too_little_virtual_memory_in_windows.html

About the maximum ram that's associated with your computer, maybe try installing 2GB of ram if that doesn't work then you could well possibly need a new motherboard.

Something you can do also, clean out the inside of any dust particles (make sure everything is taken out before doing so, remember to touch the top of the case before you touch any of the inside.) and run a disk clean-up and de-frag on your machine just so that it's all clean inside and outside.

Thanks,

Mad.

Collapse -
By take out everything

In reply to: Certainly isn't a Hard Disk problem.

I meant the wires at the back of the machine, not any of the components inside. Just wanted to clear that up with you.

Collapse -
Mad

In reply to: Certainly isn't a Hard Disk problem.

I have not had any pop up saying I am running low on virtual memory. it has just been one time my game went off and came back on..and the problem with Word when I tried to paste something in there that was not that big..but I can still just type in Word without a problem...I do have lots of photos and some music downloaded..so it may be memory, but I just have not gotten any pop up stating that..except the one in Word abut insufficient memory or disk space when I tried to paste something..I am going to see if my brothers friend, who is a computer guy, can come clean my tower and check this out for me. If I need memory can I get at Best Buy or is it best to get at HP directly???

Collapse -
Memory

In reply to: Mad

Can be bought anywhere.

Just find a good deal.

Collapse -
It says Physically Possible

In reply to: ok all

not Impossible.

Also Gwingee, I suspect your ram can only be added in matching pairs. For instance two sticks of 512 MB.

You probably have two sticks of matching ram now and can either add two more or replace the existing two and add four sticks of 512 MB.

It would pay to check before ordering more. Good luck

Collapse -
thanks again

In reply to: It says Physically Possible

HP said I have 4 slots and can get 4 of 1G if I wanted, but I thnk that is too much and too expensive too. I think I will replace what I have with 2 of the 1G..that should work

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.