General discussion

Should Designers / Developers Still Provide for IE6?

As a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to the web, I am frequently bugged by IE6 and how they render pretty much everything of my carefully crafted code differently. So my query is, should the web-production community start the process of dropping support for IE6?

I appreciate certain companies refuse to upgrade from IE6, but with the myriad of free (and more secure) browsers out there, should producers stop building retroactively for the faulty browser?

Sorry, not sure if this is the best place for this query, but the community here seems particularly helpful in offering advice.

Cheers,
Matt

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Should Designers / Developers Still Provide for IE6?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Should Designers / Developers Still Provide for IE6?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
They will do, if they haven't stopped already.

You will probably find where corporations who don't wish to upgrade will develop in-house coding for IE6, or if they can't do it, contract the work out to experts, but generally all web developers have moved on to IE8, and are now looking forward to IE9.

The other side of the problem is those personal users who haven't upgraded yet. They will include the pirates who dare not activate and update their Windows OS, as well as others who have never updated Windows. Eventually they will lose out, but with the millions of Windows machines operating around the world, it will take time for that to change.

Mark

- Collapse -
Depends on your audience...

Some stats show nearly 25% of the world's users still use IE6. However, that varies widely per country and per class of user. China, for instance has a higher percentage of users running older versions of Windows and IE than the US. In addition, visitors to tech sites like CNET are often more tech-savy, and thus likely to upgrade, than those visiting sites like the local newspaper.

Some, such as Google, have publicly announced they are stopping active support for IE6 on new/updated services, arguing that developers should lead the break from IE6. Others, like CNET, develop for newer browsers while adding fixes so that most functionality is available to others, letting users decide when to upgrade.

In the end, the decision comes down to the time it would take to ensure compatibility and the percentage of users of your particular site that use legacy browsers.

John

- Collapse -
Clarification...

When I said 25% of users, that is out of IE users (compared to IE7/8/9), not internet users as a whole. IE is losing marketshare worldwide, and IE6 is becoming decreasing significant in particular.

John

- Collapse -
Yes, no one should be using IE6 by now

Microsoft isn't even supporting IE6 any more, which means no security fixes. In my opinion, anyone using IE6 is out of their mind. Or needs to pay attention to all the reports of IE6 being subject to any and all of the newer malware.

- Collapse -
IE6

careful - I am out of my mind - I use a pc, nothing else can make you crazy
so quickly.
I just stopped using ie6 because yahoo has made it near impossible to use,
MS has also given me crap when I went to look for updates, and ebay was getting
slow and non responsive occasionally, and a few others have flat out said they
were not supporting ie6.
So.. I see it dying a quick death.
chrome - I had problems like in another post section and quickly uninstalled it.
firefox irritates me the way they handle, or dont handle bookmarks.
it is something I use a LOT and they make it difficult to use.
I think I will throw in the towel and try ie8 - especially since I will be jumping
on a try of w7.

CNET Forums

Forum Info