Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Shoul I Get WOT (Web of Trust) or is there Other IE Add-On?

I just removed AVGF Free because of problems with their last two upgrades resulting in false positive "rootkit" and "Trojan" "warnings". Now I need to replace one AVG feature which did work: the system of colored check marks and other symbols next to websiteslisted in web search results (I usually Google).

I have used WOT (Web of Trust) before. It is OK. Are there any other add-ons like this for free for IE8? I am concerned about securing my travel PC: a Toshiba NB 305, 2 MB, 32 bit, Windows 7 Starter, IE8.

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shoul I Get WOT (Web of Trust) or is there Other IE Add-On?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shoul I Get WOT (Web of Trust) or is there Other IE Add-On?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you write ?

In reply to: Shoul I Get WOT (Web of Trust) or is there Other IE Add-On?

That you will change your antivirus everytime it has false detections? So far I've seen false positives in almost every product.

The one that is irksome here is when we write the classic Hello World in C++ using Visual Studio 2008, many antivirus programs flag it as some PE infected thing.

Noted at http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/SONAR-is-deleting-programs/m-p/181623/message-uid/181623/highlight/true#U181623

--> About WOT. Great stuff. Many of the moderators use that.

As to second opinion scans I like Grif's advice at Then Please Try This.. - CNET Spyware, viruses, & security Forums

Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly WOT is not available for IE

In reply to: Shoul I Get WOT (Web of Trust) or is there Other IE Add-On?

It is only for Firefox.

If you are using IE exclusively, then you may want to check out McAfee's Site advisor;
http://www.siteadvisor.com

I must ask, what anti-virus are you using now? It's just that all anti-virus scanners report false positives from time to time. If your AVG Free otherwise worked well for you, then personally I see no reason to change.

Mark

Collapse -
WOT for IE

In reply to: Sadly WOT is not available for IE

Mark,
I have to correct you on for Firefox only comment.
Wot is is also available for IE, Opera, and Google Chrome.
I am not sure as to were you got the Firefox only part from.
Manmur

Collapse -
I stand corrected!

In reply to: WOT for IE

You're right Manmur and thanks for setting me straight.

I went here; http://www.mywot.com/en/download in Firefox and saw only Firefox listed, but didn't see the bar across the page listing all the others.

Thanks again.

In that case, I would certainly choose WOT for IE.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Your Welcome - manmur

In reply to: I stand corrected!

Collapse -
MS Security Essentials After AVG On-Again/Off-Again Problems

In reply to: Sadly WOT is not available for IE

Thanks, Mark. You're right. I used WOT some years ago on a laptop running Firefox.

Since the beginning of the year I've had two periods of AVG reporting false positives incessantly. When I explored the situation online I found that others had the same problems. In the first instance, the false-positive Trojan warnings, AVG Tech Support admitted that it was something to do with their latest free uprade. The recent false-positive rootkits (the number of "rootkits" changes everytime you run a scan) and the intermittent failure of the rootkit scan to even function has been reported online by another user and, again, coincides with another upgrade to the free AVG program. At this point in my life I don't have time to futz (Yiddish) with this sort of situation.

I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials, perhaps not the best program out there but it came highly recommended by a very good repair shop used by major corps in San Francisco. If you have other suggestions for how to secure my computer without havng to think about it much I would appreciate it. I'm doing a lot of web research right now. Unreliable software such as AVG has recently become doesn't help the situation. I just want to Google and know within reason that the sites I click on are safe.

Collapse -
See my correction above

In reply to: MS Security Essentials After AVG On-Again/Off-Again Problems

I now see that WOT is available for IE, at http://www.mywot.com/en/download

MSE seems good, but as always we back AV's up with other tools, like the MBAM and SAS utilities suggested in Grif's post linked to above.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Wouldn't dream of computing without MBAM, etc.

MarK, not only do I have MBAM and other SAS utilities, I constantly recommend them to others who surf with only one form of protection. I find the one often picks up something that another/others miss.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.