Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Shortages of natural gas this winter, only a couple of month

by Rob_Boyter / February 4, 2014 3:29 PM PST

after articles publicizing the US soon to be free from imported gas supplies.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/shocking-natural-gas-prices-expected-to-continue-to-rise-1.2520381

I grant that this article is about Canada, and about New Brunswick, probably beyond the reach of the Trans Canada Pipeline which has brought natural gas from Alberta since long long ago. (Long before my acquaintance with things Canadian.)

It just goes to show that Global Warming or not, Cold Winters are still possible and vicious. As previously noted here, I wonder what the Polar weather looks like this year, and is Siberia having the troubles we (Canada and the US) are?

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shortages of natural gas this winter, only a couple of month
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shortages of natural gas this winter, only a couple of month
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You never know
by Willy / February 4, 2014 8:21 PM PST

NG and LPG gases need storage if they're not sold. While the US supplies now are greater than ever before, it exports much of that gas. Why, some couldn't be in the regional areas where such are in common use couldn't have the surplus they needed is a reflection of the past yrs. not needing as much. However, as always mother nature does what it wants to do and gave us a whammy in weather.

I've seen my neighbor's peropane price practically double now to when it was before at norms. Now, many users are complaining of the cost but not being able to get *any*. The woes some are facing is just another item to b*tch about. At least for this writer, I've taken places to reduce gas use and use wood. Also, better insulation to reduce yet more gas use. All this still is less than needed because of this bad weather and prolonged winter it seems to be. At least the Farmer Almanac was right again and I have extra firewood. Even that is becoming a problem, because some users of firewood have also switched to the "ext. boiler type" to heat homes and water as well. That is a constant drain on natural wood sources and driving the cost of "corded wood" more than before. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
We need to
by itsdigger / February 5, 2014 12:41 AM PST

figure out how to make all of the methane gas from the land fills usable. Perfume it up or condense it and filter it or something. There's a land fill on the far south side of Chicago that has hundreds of pipes stickin' out with flames just blastin' out of them burning off the methane.

Digger

Collapse -
So you're the ones creating those flames
by Steven Haninger / February 5, 2014 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: We need to

which are warming the planet! Enough already! I'm tired of shoveling the results of global warming off my sidewalk and driveway. My poor achin' back. Happy

Collapse -
Warming?
by itsdigger / February 5, 2014 1:06 AM PST

Yeah Right ! It hasn't been out of the 20's here in a month, gonna be 3 deg. over night . Got another 6 inches of snow overnight too.

Sure am glad I found a kid that likes to make a few bucks shoveling snow , he's been here every time. Good Kid! At the end of the season I think I'll give him a nice little bonus. He Earned It Big Time !

Digger

Collapse -
Burn now or explode later
by Willy / February 5, 2014 2:22 AM PST

Some business do use that methane to heat their shops or building when they can or seems reasonable. The point being that can be alot of methane having to be stored before use, especially during the summer. Plus, if used inside a building and not a elec. generator type of thing, it has to be "odored" for safety reason. Methane is LPG in its natural state when found in ground.

I have the instructions to make a small methane source from manure but that has to be close to the house and I understand the process but its get rickdee to think it will last and be safe. Of course from animal manure or plant clipping. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I agree. There's an old dump for Toronto which is now a ski
by Rob_Boyter / February 5, 2014 5:11 AM PST

hill with pipes sticking out, but no flames. It only makes sense to make use of a greenhouse gas for cooking and heating, since those things are necessary anyway and will still produce as much CO2 as they do, but if the methane was recycled, it at least would be removed from the equation.

Then again, what is going to be done about belching and f*rting cows and sheep who also produce huge amounts of methane. I once saw one of those ludicrous statistics about methane production in New Zealand, and wondered why all the sheep didn't roam with little collector compressors on their backs. New Zealand could be self sufficient both for household usage and for automobile fuel.

Rob

Collapse -
Come on Boys...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 5:19 AM PST

... surely there's enough hot air on this forum to keep everybody warm.

Dafydd.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?