Question

Short freezes in video

Something more cosmetic, but bugging me enough to post: when watching a DVD on my 17 MBP Core 2 Duo (3.06 GHz, SSD, 10.6.7), every minute or two or so, the video freezes for a fraction of a second while the sound goes uninterrupted. This happens with VLC and Quicktime. It also happens when streaming from Netflix using Firefox 3.6.17. However, it does NOT happen when streaming from Netflix when I use Safari.
Any idea what could cause this and how to fix it? I already zapped the pram...
Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Short freezes in video
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Short freezes in video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
The first one

The first one sounds like either your drive is bad, or possibly the disc is bad. If it happens with multiple discs in exactly the same way, I'd think it's more likely the drive.

The second one involves streaming which is notoriously fickle and any number of ever changing variables can affect it. So, the first thing to do is try updating to Firefox 4 and assuming Netflix is using some kind of Flash system for streaming, upgrade that to 10.3 as well if you haven't already.

The PRAM just stores some settings like volume and mouse pointer speed, it would have nothing to do with this issue.

- Collapse -
The second one

I installed the newest Flash and that took care of the Firefox streaming issue - thanks! Grin

The DVD issue still persists - just checked it out again.

CNET Forums

Forum Info