The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Shopping for Photoshop

by aplardi / August 4, 2006 4:35 AM PDT

Tom suggested I sign up and post this in the forums as you wonderful people may be willing to point me in the right direction

About a year ago, much to my wallet's anguish, I quit pirating music, software, and other forms of booty so that I could have a clean conscience. The only thing I have not found a truly suitable replacement for is Photoshop. Now I know there are great applications like Paint.Net and The Gimp. But they do not do things like Curve layers the way I wish (allowing me to set black or white points in photographs) and minor things like that that make them useless for me, nor allow me to make HDR images.

I was looking at my options, and I am thinking about buying Photoshop 7 on eBay for about a hundred dollars. But I was not sure if this is legal, or if I ever wanted to upgrade Adobe would let me. It feels a little shady but to do what I want to do it feels like the only option. I also took a look at Photoshop Elements and was surprised to see the list which I included below of things it can't do. So really, what can it do? Crop and resize JPEG's a little faster than paint? Oi Vai, you call these Photo Editors?

So what would be my best option if I want to stay legit, outside of purchasing Photoshop right now for $650. When I start college in spring I'm buying a MacBook, and perhaps if PS CS3 is out then I'll get that as well. But my fundage is a little tight like everyone else in the world, and Adobe just doesn't seem to care.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shopping for Photoshop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shopping for Photoshop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Save a few bucks with a student edition
by MrSkinny / August 4, 2006 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Shopping for Photoshop

Your right, those features are nearly PS specific. You can accomplish the same graphic goal different ways but the learning curve is really not worth the dollar cost for most people.

If your looking at College take advantage of the "hook'em early" specials.

http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/education_pricing.html

Photoshop CS2 9.0 MAC US$299
Photoshop Elements 3.0 MAC US$69

I don't know about the legal ramifications of an eBay copy but I think your ok if it's an unused copy. If someone buys a copy which you get from them at a lower price (eg: bankruptcy) you get an unused license I think your ok. I probably wouldn't be brave enough to try that on eBay but there are a ton of bankruptcy companies who might just get such a copy to part with for pennies on the dollar.

MrSkinny

Collapse -
when i'm a student
by aplardi / August 4, 2006 6:04 AM PDT

When I am a student again I will def go that way as you suggest.

I wonder, if I do buy it, when I graduate do they no longer think that I should be using it? or is it mine. And can I upgrade it?

Collapse -
Shiney!
by aplardi / August 4, 2006 6:06 AM PDT

From site:
An important note about upgrading your software: Your personal investment in Adobe products may continue to be valuable, even if you no longer meet the qualifications for Adobe Education pricing. Please contact the online Adobe Store or your local reseller for information about upgrades to commercial versions of your products.

All offers and prices are limited to residents of the U.S. and Canada. Prices are Estimated Street Prices in U.S. dollars. Actual pricing may vary. Prices are subject to change without notice. Please contact your local Adobe Authorized Education Reseller for actual pricing details. Prices are for qualified Education customers only.

This looks like a fantastic option to consider. I usually never touch Student Software.

Collapse -
$100 Photoshop. No Way
by pkscout / August 4, 2006 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Shopping for Photoshop

I don't see anyway you can get Photoshop for $100. I can't even get it for $100 with an educational license at the school I work for.

You might think about GIMP. It's free and has about 90% of the functionality.

<http://www.gimp.org>

If you're really used to the Photoshop menus, you can get a version of GIMP that is configured to look like Photoshop:

<http://www.gimpshop.net/>

Collapse -
Gimp saves you even more if...
by MrSkinny / August 4, 2006 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: $100 Photoshop. No Way

you consider the next 10 years of repeat costs.

It's true that companies almost always pickup the lisence but if your a contractor it's still going to cost you every time they decide to create a new version.

Embrace the free software aplardi, it's your only hope.

MrSkinny

Collapse -
Really I do
by aplardi / August 4, 2006 5:46 AM PDT

I LOVE open source. Almost everything on my PC except for Windows is an open source application. But it looks like for the things I wish to do, great apps like Gimpshop and Paint.net won't do.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) GIMP is the way to go
by robstak / August 4, 2006 6:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by aplardi / August 4, 2006 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: $100 Photoshop. No Way

I thank you for the reply but if you look at my post I mentioned that the Gimp cannot do the things I mentioned sadly. - As for the $100 Photoshop 7 that is about how much they go for on eBay

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.