Computer Help forum

Question

shopping for new computers

by husserl80 / July 28, 2013 1:15 AM PDT

Hi All
I have an old Dell with XP and a not quite as old Sony laptop with Vista. Both are becoming sources of problems and after more trips than necessart to have them worked on it is time to replace them. My wife uses the laptop and I use the desktop. She does files and other things for an organization we belong to, while I am looking for woodworking plans and tools. We use e mail like most do now. Not looking for anything for gaming but do want something that will be fine for most things we need to want it to do. With the desktop, should I be looking for a system with a new monitor? Seems like that would be good to do. Need some help and advice before I wander off to the stores. Hate to spend the money but here in TN the no tax days are coming quickly and would like to take advantage of them. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: shopping for new computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: shopping for new computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Responsible of You To Ask For Advice!
by AlleyCatProDesign / July 28, 2013 1:58 AM PDT

Good Morning husser80,

I really appreciate your prudence in asking for advice on this topic. There are so many choices out there it is easy to become overwhelmed. First off let me preface the following statement by saying that it's difficult to pick a system FOR someone. Computers have become so basic to our day to day life that it really has become a matter of personal expression the type you purchase. Now that said most pre-builds are pretty much the same. HP's makes some good some not so good. Same for Dell and all the majors. I prefer Dell because there customer service is always extremely easy in my experience to deal with and they tend to honor whatever warranty agreements you have purchased. You would think this was a given but ask some people that purchased the HP DV series Laptops a few years back and they will tell you. It's Not!

You sound like a basic day to day functional user who needs to surf the web without any delays or lag and your wife seems to be a tad more advanced if I may risk saying so. She probably users one of the Microsoft Suite of office programs if she doing filing, data entry and spreadsheets. You also relay on your systems to access your E-mail so You need something with a little bit of storage.

Try to order whatever you choose direct. I suggest going to Dells wedsite and doing some windows shopping. They often have great deals and the are extremely secure and mindful of your personal info. I believe that they have laptops right now for under $300.00 and check out the Clearance section for your desktop. The monitor question is a resounding YES. Few things are a more dramatic upgrade than a nice big new monitor 19" and above have become almost cheap so go for broke, you wont regret it I actually upgraded to a 27" from Dell a few months ago and paid just over $300.00 which is a great price and boy was I impressed with the overall difference it made.

You have the option of chatting with a Dell sales agent right there and they can walk you through and satisfy all your current needs as well as help you advance and be prepared for upcoming fundemental changes.

A couple pointers if you choose someone else, You do NOT need an i5 or i7 multi-core processor, way more than you would use. You do not need any additional Video Cards. You might want to invest in some after market speakers, once again cheap these days for some pretty descent products and its very easy to stream video content and music and descent speakers go along way. Logitech makes a whole series anywhere from a few bucks to several hundred.

The most important thing for you sir is going to be RAM. Internet speed is dependant on RAM and I would suggest something with at least 4 Gigs if not 6 or 8, once again pretty basic. Go ahead and spring for the Terabyte hard drive as well. If you get it now you probably wont have to worry about it again.

Good luck my friend and happy shopping.

AlleyCat

Collapse -
Answer
Here're a couple of PCs you might like
by wpgwpg / July 28, 2013 2:26 AM PDT

Personally I like Dell for desktops and for laptopsToshiba and Asus. Here's a Dell very close to the one I bought back in March: http://microcenter.com/product/414525/Inspiron_660_Desktop_Computer .
For laptops
http://microcenter.com/product/416064/Satellite_C55-A5297_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Satin_Black_in_Trax_Horizon
`
I prefer Windows 7 which the desktop has, but this laptop has Windows 8. If you want one with Windows 7, try this one:
http://microcenter.com/product/416063/Satellite_C55-A5245_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Satin_Black_in_Trax_Horizon
`
If you get a computer with Windows 8 and don't like it, you can make it look and feel pretty much like Windows 7 with a free program called Classic Start which you can download from http://www.classicshell.net/ .
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
First and foremost
by Jimmy Greystone / July 28, 2013 2:32 AM PDT

First and foremost, DO NOT buy a computer based solely on price. In fact, do not mention any kind of budget to a sales rep, since they will then try and load you up with as much crap as they can to get you as close to that budget ceiling as possible. Either way, people who buy computers based primarily on price often regret it immediately after the honeymoon period is over.

I would generally agree with the other poster that a new monitor would probably be worth it. Most websites and everything else are geared towards widescreen resolutions now, so there's that. There have also been significant improvements in energy efficiency, even in LCD monitors. It might not be much, but every little bit helps, right? So if you can save a little energy while treating yourself to a nice new display, why not? Just be sure to figure out what kind of space constraints you have. I miss the 27" monitor I had once upon a time, but I just didn't have the space for it after moving. Plus, you can keep the old monitor around and either do dual displays or just keep it around in case of emergency.

Where I would disagree quite strongly is in the claim that Internet performance is a function of RAM. It simply isn't true. Internet speed is primarily a function of your Internet connection. Then there are a number of variables completely outside of your control that have to do with the wider Internet. By the time you get to RAM playing a significant role you're down to rendering speeds of the browser and even then the returns start diminishing precipitously after a certain point. Based on the username, the other poster seems to be involved in design work where large amounts of RAM and disk space are generally a flat out necessity. While all else being equal, more RAM is better, given what you likely have now, even 4GB would probably be more than enough to carry you for some time. Same with disk space. More is better, all else being equal, but given you've been able to function with a drive probably in the low to mid double digit GB range, probably anything you can get is going to be several times greater than what you have now. I wouldn't really worry about it, just make sure you have some kind of backup system in place for both units. So maybe save $50 or so for getting a couple 32GB flash drives to serve as backups for important files.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.