Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Shopping for answer machine

I have been shopping, since last December. I have tried HotFax (a real stinker); a voice mail program which came with a modem I purchased and installed (not enough features); SuperVoice Pro (better than HotFax but still terribly problematic). Other programs I have researched had less features for more money. I don't think the problems I encounter when trying to install Faxworks in Windows 98 are in any way insurmountable, but I lack the knowledge to solve them.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shopping for answer machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shopping for answer machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just my answer.

In reply to: Shopping for answer machine

The area you are writing about not concerns basic fax/voice operation but your personal outlook as to what you want. This isn't a bad thing but software companies can't tailor their product to "you" quite yet.

If we can cut through your issues, I will make one suggestion (or more).

1. Windows 98 is dead.
As such, whatever you find will be mired in that era of when we expected to reboot our machines many times a day or put up with bugs.

You may revolt on this issue, but the end is here. I know of no company actively targeting Windows 95/98/ME.

2. Faxing is tough already.

That's the short version. To get fax/voice to work I never found a software package that "worked" with my modem. The only successes I can share are in the "bundled" modem and software packages. All others failed in some way. Exception! I take that back if we look at the Linux Fax solutions. Those were quite stellar, but do strain users.

3. MS FAX or XP FAX.

It's a factor here. With FAX supplied in Windows XP, the incentive for others to develop and market a fax solution has never been worse.

4. FAX.

Some parts of the world still eat, live, breath FAX, but the office rarely gets them now. We just need one FAX machine for each floor.

5. Symantec's FAX.

Of all the solutions WinFaz still was the overall software that I used that worked "most of the time". For you this may not be good enough.

Best of luck in your search.

Bob

Collapse -
so, get an answering machine

Is there some reason a stand-alone answering machine or a FAX machine (you seem to mix the two in your question) won't work for you?

Or, how about a multi-function device that has FAXing and voice answering capabilities?

Sure, you might find the program, or programs, that will run on your PC to do what you want, but needing to keep your $500-$1000 (?) PC on, at all times, to do the job of a $40 answering machine or FAX machine seems excessive, doesn't it?

Collapse -
Re: Shopping for answer machine

This program came with my All-in-One and works for me on my W98SE computer. You can download and evaluate it for 14 days. Hopefully, it will have the features you are looking for.

http://www.modemhelp.com/products/ftexpert/

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.