Peripherals forum

General discussion

Shopping for an external hard drive, and I am confused again

I am shopping for a 500gb external hard drive, to be used whenever my laptop and I are at home. I will keep my entire music/video/photo collection here, as well as other documents. I have also considered installing some of my video games on it, if it's comparable to speed with the built in hard drive. What I'm confused about is what aspect of the hard drive is more important when it comes to trying to match the speed of your internal hard drive.

Which matters more? Cache, or the connection to the laptop?

Should I worry about getting a 16mb cache hard drive, or an eSATA or USB or firewire 400 connection? I know that Firewire 400 somehow doesn't use any cpu resources, but does eSATA?

May also put linux into it..

My laptop has firewire built in, and I might be willing to buy a card for eSATA, since they're like $20 on newegg.

My total price range is somewhere between $100 and $145 ish, trying to stay away from $150, but will consider other options if they're worth the cause. I'm not too worried about finding a specific hard drive, just finding out if the connection is that important and how much cache I really need. Thanks a ton, Brian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shopping for an external hard drive, and I am confused again
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shopping for an external hard drive, and I am confused again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Connection speed. . .

In reply to: Shopping for an external hard drive, and I am confused again

USB-2 = about 400 Mb/s
Firewire = less than USB
SATA - around 3 Gb/s

I used a USB-2 external case for my 400 Gig Seagate SATA drive. Disappointed. I removed the case and built my own connector using a SATA cable. Transfer speed was increased. It's not pretty nor is it portable, but I verified the speed increase using the SATA cable.

http://www.wayne2.net/modded.jpg

Collapse -
wow

In reply to: Connection speed. . .

Ha, nice. There are a few hard drives that are external SATA ready, so I think I'll buy a PCI card for my computer that will let me connect the hard drive with the sata cable. Thanks a ton, Brian

PS> Does anybody know if I'm going to notice a difference between an 8 mb cache and a 16 mb cache? I know that there is a difference in performance, but what kind of usage is going to make that difference important? Thanks again!

Collapse -
This drive. . .

In reply to: wow

is an internal drive, Seagate 400 Gig PMR. But with a SATA cable and power extender, it's now an external drive. As I said, it's not pretty or portable (much), but it's fast. I can move a one Gig .avi move from my desktop to that drive in about 20 seconds. Try that with a USB connector. Oh, I did. That's why I use the SATA connection.

Wayne (IBM freak - 6)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
My mini-Schnauzer is smarter than your honor student.

Collapse -
Ignorance...

In reply to: Connection speed. . .

I'm so sick of people thinking USB 2.0 is faster than FireWire.
Anybody who has used both will tell you that FireWire 400 is WAY faster than USB 2.0.

According to my benchmarks, FireWire is nearly double the speed of USB 2.0 on my dual-interface external drives.
If you want to edit raw DV video on the external drive itself and your computer doesn't have eSATA, FireWire is the perfect interface.

Yes, the specs say FireWire is rated at 400 Mb/s and USB 2.0 is rated at 480 Mb/s. However, they fail to mention 480 Mb/s is a burst rate. In reality, you're lucky to get half that number. FireWire can sustain 400 Mb/s.

FireWire is actually better than USB 2.0 for many reasons, speed is just one. More power. Device independence. Daisy-chaining. Higher-quality cable and plug design. I could go on and on forever about how much better it is.

There will be no difference between the speed of FireWire and SATA when connected to your external drive, because both interfaces are limited by the slow speed of the hard drive rather than that of the interface. USB 2.0, on the other hand, is about half the speed of the hard drive, so in that case, you're limited by the interface rather than the physical speed of the drive.

Collapse -
I wonder.

In reply to: Ignorance...

If on the Mac, firewire wins hands down. But on the PC and Windows (all versions so far) I keep getting people bringing me corrupted volumes. So firewire on the PC looks unsafe. And right or wrong, it benchmarks just a bit slower.

The story changes if I install Linux.

But you knew that.
Bob

Collapse -
Wow...

In reply to: I wonder.

Well, I knew Windows was crumby, but I had no idea. I use a Mac.
But it's clear to me that USB 2.0 is not fast enough to stream a higher quality video smoothly to a Windows machine. I've witnessed this inability on several occasions.

So, if I has a Windows machine, I guess he has these options, huh?

USB 2.0 - slow
FireWire - corrupted
SATA - unsightly, dangerous, and maybe impossible on a laptop

Collapse -
hehe..

In reply to: Shopping for an external hard drive, and I am confused again

After all of this, I ended up going with network assisted storage.. A friend has it and he loves it. He says it's plenty fast, and he's a hard core gamer, as well as a hacker.. It MIGHT be faster than USB, and definitely not as fast as eSATA, but I would rather not have it in my room generating heat, and it would be nice to <easily> access files over the internet with it. I bought the Buffalo Linkstation Live for $175 on Amazon, since it supports printers, and also has better speed ratings.. So we'll see. Thanks again for everyone's help, Brian

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.