Laptops forum

General discussion

Shopping for a Laptop

I am shopping for a new laptop. My original choice was a Toshiba Satellite A75-S206. I was then concerned about the weight being 8 pounds. I am a Web developer working on SQL server2000 and will be using .NET Studio shortly. So my idea was to buy a pentium 4 2.8 Ghz or more.

I was then looking towards the IBM T41 m/c which is lighter. It is a Centrino 1.6/1.7 specification.

Will an IBM t41 cater to my needs? Or there any other models which will be a better option?

I am not sure whether I will go for a Sony Vaio. Right now I am getting the A75-S206 for 1199 (After rebates) from Microcenter. If I get their VISA card I would get another $100 off. So for $1100 I would be getting

Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz (533 Frontside Bus)
512MB RAM
60GB HDD,DVD-CDRW
Intergrated Wireless 80211.b/80211.g
15.4" Active Matrix display.

is there any Centrino which will come close to the above specifications?

Please advise.

Ramjee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shopping for a Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shopping for a Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Shopping for a Laptop

In reply to: Shopping for a Laptop

See the other post today regarding the comparision on the Toshiba M35 series (prebuilt M35S456) or the HPZT3000/Compaq X1000 series..

these both weigh in the 6 pound range and are fully customizable (dedicated video, faster hard drive, cpu speed, etc).

They both have the 15.4" LCD widescreen.

Your Toshiba has only integrated (shared) video memory -- the IBM is great but their pricing is higher (and also has a smaller LCD) but you may want that for durability.

Collapse -
Re: Shopping for a Laptop

In reply to: Shopping for a Laptop

there are plenty of other computers in your price range that are better than the ibm, with ibm u are paying for the name. check out sager, many companys out there that sell sager and most are fully customizable to your needs.sager in my opion is one of the best companys out there with very good prices, alot of models to choose from, and they have good customer service.check out this site
http://pctorque.com/
i would opt for a notebook with an 800mhz front side bus speed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.