Cameras forum

General discussion

Shooting suggestions?

by rnash / November 16, 2004 12:54 PM PST

I just purchased a canon a85. it is a great camera. there are so many settings and i haven't had a lot of time to figure them out. I will be at a high school football game this friday and i need some suggestions on which settings to use. it will be dark out, but there will be stadium lights. i will probably be 50 to 70 yards from the field, there will be lots of action, i hope Happy . should i use automatic? what about the highest quality setting? there are others such as outdoor, nighttime and all kinds of options. i have no idea which would be best. any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shooting suggestions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shooting suggestions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Shooting suggestions?
by jump1127 / November 16, 2004 7:08 PM PST
In reply to: Shooting suggestions?

In this case, you're pusing the camera to the limit ! You definitely need a tripod while shooting. In this case, you need to adjust your camera to the manual mode. And do the following checks:

1.Adjust the right aperture and shutter speed so that the picture don't get too dark or blurred. Under the low light circumstance, F2.8 or slightly more F-stop is appropriate. However, you must trade off the contrast and noise. Tripod is strongly necessary while you may go for any shutter speed that last long over 5 seconds. In addition, you can check this out, by pressing the shutter button half way. Therefore, you can view the right exposure whether the picture is under or over-exposure. In other words, this will verify whether you set the right shutter speed and aperture.

2.I don't suggest you move up ISO above 100. For most compact and even some DSLR camera, the picture's noise will be too much and picture result look pretty bad.

3.Make sure you select the right white-balance. The different frequency of light cause the camera taking picture differently. At the stadium, Tungsten is more proper.

That's all I can think of for now. Before the real event, get your hand on and test your camera. Good luck.

Collapse -
by rnash / November 16, 2004 9:33 PM PST

Thanks!

I appreciate the information. I will get familiar with those settings this afternoon. If my pictures turn out good, then i will let you know - thanks!!

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 10:56 PM PST
In reply to: Shooting suggestions?

When taking photos of the lighted field, make sure that your flash is set to the off position.

The flash on that camera is useless beyond 10 feet.
However having the flash active can confuse the camera.

Try a few shots with the camera set in the auto mode and with the flash off. See if you get satisfactory results.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.