Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Shooting in Tucson, Sad, 20 minutes ago

by Glenda. / January 8, 2011 3:02 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shooting in Tucson, Sad, 20 minutes ago
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shooting in Tucson, Sad, 20 minutes ago
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
did you reload?
by James Denison / January 8, 2011 3:38 AM PST
Wink
Collapse -
(NT) Sad
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 8, 2011 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: did you reload?
Collapse -
James
by Glenda. / January 8, 2011 4:18 AM PST

NOT funny Sad

Collapse -
(NT) Good for you, Glenda. Well said. Rob
by Ziks511 / January 8, 2011 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: James
Collapse -
(NT) Inappropriate James, very much so.
by Roger NC / January 8, 2011 7:25 AM PST
Collapse -
unfortunately, she died.
by James Denison / January 8, 2011 3:50 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Others reportedly shot as well
by Steven Haninger / January 8, 2011 3:53 AM PST
Collapse -
12 shot
by Glenda. / January 8, 2011 4:17 AM PST

in total no word on any of them.

Collapse -
(NT) One of the dead is a District Judge
by James Denison / January 8, 2011 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: 12 shot
Collapse -
Not the first time!
by James Denison / January 8, 2011 4:38 AM PST

After the first time, seems she'd have arranged better security for such public events.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/us/politics/09giffords.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss
The shooting occurred at a Safeway supermarket in northwest Tucson as Ms. Giffords hosted an event, called "Congress on Your Corner, to allow members of the 8th Congressional District to meet her individually. She has held several events since first taking office in January 2007. At one such event in 2009, a protester was removed by police when his pistol fell on the supermarket floor.

Last March, her Tucson office was vandalized a few hours after the House vote overhauling the nation's health care system, the authorities said. Earlier events in Tucson, Oro Valley, Green Valley, Sierra Vista, and Douglas had attracted between 75 and 150 people, according to a statement announcing the event. This was her first event since her re-election to a third term in November.

Ms. Giffords, 40, was interviewed on Fox news on Friday to talk about a bill to cut to congressional salaries by 5 percent.

She married Cmdr. Mark E. Kelly, 46, a NASA astronaut and Navy pilot from New Jersey, in December 2007 at a wedding attended by Robert B. Reich, the former Labor secretary.

Collapse -
where are you getting
by Glenda. / January 8, 2011 4:15 AM PST

the info that she died? We have the Tucson news on and nothing has been said about her death. This is a sad day when people think shooting solves anything Sad

Collapse -
that was the news out there
by James Denison / January 8, 2011 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: where are you getting

first on CNN is where I heard it. Now that's disappearing and being replaced by her being out of surgery but still critical. One of the things that bothers me about the internet and news sites is how they "update" stories, having them change and not retaining what was there before. However, sometimes the forums under a news page shows the progression from what was reported first and then later.

Collapse -
You keep asking me for links. Perhaps those rules don't
by Ziks511 / January 9, 2011 7:09 AM PST

apply to you, especially since you're wrong.

Rob

Collapse -
Sometimes timing is everything ....
by Bill Osler / January 9, 2011 9:42 AM PST

It's a bit hard to link to an article that USED to be on the web.

NPR was not unique in making an erroneous report, but they gracious enough to apologize for their error:
Editor's Note: On NPR's Giffords Coverage : NPR
In the course of reporting on the tragic events in Tucson on Saturday, NPR broadcast erroneous information in our 2:01 p.m. Eastern newscast, saying that Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona had been shot and killed. That information briefly appeared on NPR.org and was contained in an e-mail news alert sent to subscribers of that service. This was a serious and grave error. Thankfully, Rep. Giffords is alive today, though sadly other victims of the shootings are not. Corrections and properly updated reports were issued within minutes.

On behalf of NPR News, I apologize for this mistake to the family of Rep. Giffords, to the families of everyone affected by the shootings, to our listeners and to our readers.

The information we reported came from two different governmental sources, including a source in the Pima County Sheriff's Department. Nonetheless, in a situation so chaotic and changing so swiftly, we should have been more cautious. There were, obviously, conflicting reports from authorities and other sources. The error we made was unintentional, an error of judgment in a fast-breaking situation. It was corrected immediately. But we deeply regret the error.

It would be nice if our forum members showed similar civility.

Collapse -
look down
by James Denison / January 9, 2011 10:09 AM PST

there you will find all the links you need.

Collapse -
(NT) Both NPR and CNN reported such
by Mike_Hanks / January 8, 2011 5:59 AM PST
Collapse -
so
by Glenda. / January 8, 2011 6:05 AM PST

CNN is wrong again!

Collapse -
An example
by James Denison / January 8, 2011 6:03 AM PST
Collapse -
another
by James Denison / January 8, 2011 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: An example
Collapse -
I wasn't going on Google
by Glenda. / January 8, 2011 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: An example

we have just had the TV tuned to Tucson News.

Collapse -
more
by James Denison / January 8, 2011 7:05 AM PST
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/live-blog-representative-giffords-shot/?partner=rss&emc=rss

NPR appeared to be the first national news outlet to report, falsely,
that Ms. Giffords had died. CNN, CBS, Fox News, and other entities
also said that her death had been "confirmed."

Authorities later said that Ms. Giffords had been seriously injured,
but had not died. Some of the initial incorrect information came from
the Federal Bureau of Investigation, according to Fox.

The New York Times also briefly reported that Ms. Giffords had died,
citing a spokesman and other news reports. Doc Searls, a prominent
blogger, deemed it "news at the speed of death."
Collapse -
My son found
by Glenda. / January 8, 2011 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: more

another error in reports, the shooter was never in the military.

Collapse -
I was wondering
by James Denison / January 9, 2011 5:07 PM PST
In reply to: My son found

What caused them to first report he was? Knee jerk liberalism?

Collapse -
RE: What caused them to first report he was?
by JP Bill / January 9, 2011 7:05 PM PST
In reply to: I was wondering

they make a knee jerk something.

He DID apply to join the military, so they figured they were accepting everyone that applied?

and about your Knee jerk liberalism?statement.

That's the kind of stuff this guy is talking about

"The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous" Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said. "Arizona I think has become sort of the capital. We have become the Mecca for prejudice and bigotry."

Collapse -
First, you must realize Sheriff Dupnik is a....
by James Denison / January 9, 2011 11:13 PM PST

...politically motivated Democrat mole. He's just as wrong now in his assessment as when considering to not enforce new Arizona law concerning illegal aliens in Arizona. He finally capitulated on that, rather than become a criminal himself.

Collapse -
Yeah, you're right
by JP Bill / January 9, 2011 11:41 PM PST

all political parties in the US are getting along just great, and there is no animosity or ill will.

Things couldn't be any better.

Collapse -
LOL
by James Denison / January 9, 2011 11:20 PM PST
"He DID apply to join the military, so they figured they were accepting everyone that applied?"

They probably all think they would be on American Idol if they just applied too.
Collapse -
(NT) 15 minutes of glory for another weirdo?
by jonah jones / January 8, 2011 3:58 AM PST
Collapse -
I'm surprised
by Glenda. / January 8, 2011 4:16 AM PST

that the civilians that attacked him and brought him down didn't hurt him! He was in police custody very quickly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?