Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Shoe sizes ... Is it just me?

When I was in college, my shoe size was pretty much a 7 and it ended up a pretty stable 7-1/2 after that. I was a bit of a late bloomer, and pretty much attribute this to that. So my feet have been the same size for many, many years now. Then all of a sudden, last summer I bought new shoes for the firt time in quite a while. Lo and behold I am now a pretty consistent 6-1/2. Now I always thought feet if anything spread with age. Have my feet shrunk or are they making shoes bigger these days? It is just one of those nagging things -- would seem very strange for feet to shrink a size in a year!

Evie Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shoe sizes ... Is it just me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shoe sizes ... Is it just me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dear Evie, I've got no idea, but over here we converted to ....

In reply to: Shoe sizes ... Is it just me?

European sizes from British sizes and life has never been the same again. On a British "last" (shoe moulder?), shoes fit according to the size you want. When shoes are converted (size-wise) or manufactured to other standards of sizes, it's a whole different thing,

Back at the ranch, if you are smaller in foot size as you get older (don't we all get older?) then keep up the ballet - oh, go on then, walking the dog - whatever - seems to be working!

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
I would love to think my feet ...

In reply to: Dear Evie, I've got no idea, but over here we converted to ....

... are getting daintier with age, but it just doesn't seem plausible! Last summer I just thought it might be the brand or sandal vs. closed shoe. But pretty much I've now bought all types of new shoes in the past year and almost all the same smaller size. Oddly enough, my sneaker size hasn't changed.

Have always marveled at the thought of owning one pair of good custom shoes. I have a small heel compared to wider toes and it's always made good fitting shoes hard to find. Maybe the answer is that they are making shoes wider these days? At least that would account for half a size anyway!

Women's shoes are crap! Dunno about in the UK. Men's shoes, even the reasonably priced ones, seem to last forever. I gave up buying "good" shoes when they wore out just about as fast as the cheap ones.

OK, 'nuf griping for one Sunday afternoon!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Dear Evie ...

In reply to: I would love to think my feet ...

I was gonna say "Dear Imelda" (sorry... I only have two pairs - my day-shoes and my diamonte ones - of course, I never get to wear the day-shoes).

My son has the "thin heel" scenario - Puma and Nike seem to fit best. Of course, trainers (sneakers?) generally have more inside padding. My son is in Montpellier in the south of France at the moment, so in truth, I'll bet you any money that he's not too worried about the shoes he's wearing. I'll bet you any money also that my I can stretch out this week's washing powder for a whole two weeks.

Evie, of course our feet get daintier as we get older, and I'll defy anyone who dares to mount a challenge to that one Devil

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re:Dear Evie ...

In reply to: Dear Evie ...

You may be right about foot size shrinking with age, but my experience has been in the other direction. Overall body girth size no doubt has a bearing in my case.

Collapse -
LOL ... Imelda!

In reply to: Dear Evie ...

You got me!

Not quite, but I do confess to having quite the collection. Shoes appropriate for work are not what I like to kick around in. I so rarely wear dressy shoes that I usually have to buy a new pair to match whatever outfit I purchase for such rare occasions.

Been having fun lately buying shoes in the Junior department. Much less fuddy duddy and make me feel like a teenager again! This all started last summer when I bought a pair of Candies after all these years! It takes shoes longer to go in and out of style, and they fit whether you gain or lose 5 lbs.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Dear Evie, You mean you don't have .....

In reply to: LOL ... Imelda!

the trunk in the attic with the shoes that will have to come back into fashion sooner or later ("winkle pickers", i.e. very sharply pointed toes and stilletoes, are back in fashion here) - not to mention the drawer full of shoe dye and ribbons to replace laces, and ice-skating style leg irons to prevent the broken ankle from the 4" heels?

You're telling me you take the easy way out and simply buy a pair? Gosh, I really have been going wrong ...

Rusty has a point though - we can utilise a fancy necklace to reflect the eyes upwards (away from the tummy line), or "jungle red" nail polish. Perhaps Rusty should take a leaf out of our book. Oh well, devil emoticon coming up again: Devil

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Always was a 7 1/2, but NOW a 9....I guess I'm one of the lucky ones spreading ALL OVER, lol......NT

Collapse -
(NT) Maybe you found the foot I lost!

Collapse -
Is Vanity Sizing going to shoes as well?

Hi Evie!

I've found what I call Vanity Sizing over the years in both my dress size and my bra size.

I weigh about the same and have the same shape as I did 35 years ago; back then my dress size was ___ and my bra size ______.

Now my dress size is one smaller, and bra size two inches and a cup size larger.

I think the industry is trying to flatter us.

But I think your feet are probably dainty anyway.

Happy

Paula

Collapse -
Re:Is Vanity Sizing going to shoes as well?

In reply to: Is Vanity Sizing going to shoes as well?

Hi Paula! Good to see you Happy

That's the term I was wondering about! Maybe to make us all feel like we had smaller feet. There is some truth in that for sure. I unearthed a bra that fit me in the early 90's -- it fits now -- it is a full cup size smaller. I think the clothing size thing has actually been pretty well documented. As we got bigger, a size 10 now is like an old 12 I think. I would just like some consistency. Pretty much we can buy a pair of jeans for the hubby by waist, length and cut and know they will fit. Even for the same brand and style there is such variability these days for women's pants. I have pants that currently fit me abou tthe same ranging over 4 sizes!

Evie Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.