Video Cameras forum

General discussion

shhhh... using a hidden camera

by katwomanofsteele / December 28, 2003 4:27 AM PST

I would like to take some hidden camera footage for a scripted project. The concept needs to appear unscripted and unprofessional. My old JVC-307 doesn't have inputs, so I would like to get a new camera that I could put in a bag and connect a hidden camera that the subject could wear on their person, like a button camera. I would like full editing features to put video in from VHS, S-VHS, or another digital video, and an external mic - lapel style. Any ideas on this? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: shhhh... using a hidden camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: shhhh... using a hidden camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:shhhh... using a hidden camera
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2003 5:36 AM PST

A more common setup is to have a radio link like you see at http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=203C-50MW-N

This way the recorder can be any number of devices. From a laptop with the receiver connected to some USB 2.0 Video capture like this one -> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=VS-USB2800-PRO

The whole getup can be run with a laptop for the recorder off of batteries and when in a car, this device -> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PI-100

All digital and ready for your edits.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:shhhh... using a hidden camera
by katwomanofsteele / December 28, 2003 12:09 PM PST

so, you're saying just do it straight to PC - not using any tape at all... never thought of it that way. Wouldn't I need a 200gb hd too then? What about those dv recorders? Also, will I lose quality with the radio link? Or is it something I can just adjust the contrast in Premiere? It is a 15 minute short that I want to eventually transfer the final cut to DVD.

Thanks for the help Happy

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:shhhh... using a hidden camera
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2003 9:45 PM PST

You can answer all those questions if you go set such up. This stuff would have cost you ten thousand plus a few years ago.

What's stopping you today?

As to the quality issue. The RF link could degrade with distance, but the system I noted has no analog tape degrade issue or losing quality as you digitize it. So that is a "wash" in my book.

As to DVD, NTSC or PAL video falls far short of DVD's possible quality. To get DVD quality recordings, you are in the near 100 thousand range of cameras. But I think you know that.

No. You don't nee 200GB on the recorder side. Try 2GB per hour on a good codec. You asked for 15 minutes.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:shhhh... using a hidden camera
by katwomanofsteele / December 29, 2003 12:19 AM PST

It is very cool that it is soooo cheap - thanks for the links & I will definitely be picking something up soon, I just don't wanna keep buying stuff that isn't right for my "grand concept"... I gotta stop directing in my head again.

So a few more questions: isn't a black and white camera better for low-light situations? What kind of hard drive would you recommend? Do I need an ultra-raid scsi or would it all really be in the codec? Then, what codec would you recommend? Thanks again Happy

Collapse -
B/W
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2003 12:45 AM PST

1. isn't a black and white camera better for low-light situations?

Sure, but if you know how, you can remove the IR block filter from such cameras and post-process the resulting capture to B/W. Removal of the IR block filter will mess up color, but extend the light range.

2. What kind of hard drive would you recommend?

The one in a laptop.

3. Do I need an ultra-raid scsi

No.

4. or would it all really be in the codec? Then, what codec would you recommend?

You can pick MANY from http://www.moviecodec.com , but I just used what came with my cameras and then used Virtual Dub or other software to recompress later.

Bob

Collapse -
along the same line..maybe.
by tbbucfan42 / June 23, 2007 12:46 PM PDT

I have a horse barn that I would like to watch what happens when I'm not around. There are other horse/owners who use the same stable. I fear that there is something going on and I wanna catch them in the act.

is there a way to record ( with a hidden camera ) to a card or something that could be taken out and viewed later?? There is no electric in the barn.. and it's in the next town over. 20 miles away.

sorry to ask it this way ( on someone elses question ) but I didnt know how to start my own discusion topic.

G

Collapse -
Not the place, but here's how...
by whizkid454 / June 23, 2007 12:58 PM PDT

On the main Camcorders Forum page, there is a button in the top right of the page that says "Create a New Thread". Using this will get you you're own discussion topic then you are free to ask all the questions you may have.

Collapse -
thanks
by tbbucfan42 / June 23, 2007 1:10 PM PDT

thank-you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?