General discussion

shes back

Sheehan Back in Texas for War Protest

Email this Story

Nov 25, 7:36 AM (ET)

By ANGELA K. BROWN

(AP) Peace activist Cindy Sheehan, right, is greeted by supporter Kathleen Hernandez at the Waco...
Full Image

CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) - The fallen soldier's mother whose August vigil near President Bush's ranch reinvigorated the anti-war movement returned to Texas to resume her protest Thursday as the president celebrated Thanksgiving a few miles away.

"I feel happy to be back here with all my friends ... but I'm heartbroken that we have to be here again," Cindy Sheehan said as she arrived at an airport in nearby Waco. "We will keep pressing and we won't give up until our troops are brought home."

Sheehan was largely unknown when she set up camp outside Bush's ranch during the president's August vacation. It became a 26-day vigil that drew supporters from across the country and national attention.

Sheehan, who has continued encouraging anti-war demonstrations, asked protesters to return to Crawford this week during Bush's family Thanksgiving gathering.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051125/D8E3GASG0.html

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: shes back
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: shes back
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I was hoping..

.... that it would be a cold day in you know where until I had to see her name here again.

Don't like any coverage/publicity she gets.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

- Collapse -
well angiline when the media

stops useing her sorrow it will be a good day

- Collapse -
It will be an even better day

when there are no more mother's grieving for their killed in action sons. There are lots of news stories I see that bother me more than those about Sheehan, usually stories about Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld. Sheehan is causing hardly any deaths. I too dislike some of her tactics, but she is the least of our problems.

- Collapse -
Your post indicates...

you do not have a clue regarding just how media coverage of things like Sheehan and "anti-war protests" and negativity in general in the media hurts the morale of engaged troops and thus are likely also unaware that a soldier with negative things bothering them tends to be a bit less careful and pay a bit less attention to detail than a soldier who knows his country is behind him or her. Not just a little bit behind them but all the way behind them and completely supporting them.

The "anti-war demonstrations" during vietnam caused a gtreat many completely unnecessary casualties both through damaging of morale of out soldiers AND through providing encouragement to the enemy.

- Collapse -
Are you saying

it's good to pump soldiers up and encourage them to kill?

- Collapse -
Yes!

Because if they don't kill, they get killed! Sheesh!
That is what war is!

- Collapse -
were saying do give people like you

more support to kill our troops.
and before you say your not the enemy i say you damn well are the enemy.

- Collapse -
Rather than asking...

what I am saying try reading what I wrote--the english is rather plain and easily understood.

As for your question, YES, it is not only good but necessary. Soldiering is a rather dirty and thankless job but someone has to do it to ensure those who won't are able to complain and comment and whine and protest ans ask their stupid questions without being summarily liquidated.

- Collapse -
Have it your way, Ed

Apparently you think it will be a worse day, rather then a better day, when there are no more mothers grieving for their killed in action sons.

I prefer Republican Senator and Vienanm veteran Chuck Hegel's attitude to yours:

''''The Bush Administration must understand that each American has a right to question our policies in Iraq and should not be demonized for disagreeing with them. Suggesting that to challenge or criticize policy is undermining and hurting our troops is not democracy nor what this country has stood for, for over 200 years. The Democrats have an obligation to challenge in a serious and responsible manner, offering solutions and alternatives to the Administration's policies.

''Vietnam was a national tragedy partly because Members of Congress failed their country, remained silent and lacked the courage to challenge the Administrations in power until it was too late. Some of us who went through that nightmare have an obligation to the 58,000 Americans who died in Vietnam to not let that happen again. To question your government is not unpatriotic - to not question your government is unpatriotic. America owes its men and women in uniform a policy worthy of their sacrifices.''

I also prefer Republican Senator and Vietnam veteran John McCain's attitide to yours.

I also prefer Republican Senator and Korean and Vietnam veteran Murtha's attitude to yours.

But you may be right. Maybe of these people have a clue. Maybe you and Bush are the only ones with a clue.

- Collapse -
gramps when did you serve in a war?

i did wait I'm mistaken it was a police action we called it Nam.

and when the pansy power/flower power scum gave the enemy strength to fight back.

- Collapse -
Do you have to have been in war

in order to have an opinion?

If that's the case you cannot talk peace...

- Collapse -
you can have an opinion

but with out serving you know squat.
i saw a heart surgery on tv, does that qualify me to perform the same surgery?

- Collapse -
Among those who do know squat

There is no uniformity of opinion among people who have served in a war. I'm surprised you aren't aware of that.

- Collapse -
but

atleast we can understand what there going threw, as most havent done squat.
except warm a seat in there homes

- Collapse -
Have to have...

This is just my take but if you have to know what dark is to know what light is. That duality Zen thing. At this point in humanity's timeline I think there is more evil than good. Not saying we're morally right (good) but we're not morally wrong (evil). Not preaching because I have done some things I hope my Mom doesn't find out about!

- Collapse -
Mark, my military service is irrelevant

although I am proud of it. There is hardly a unanimity of opinion among people who have served in war. I once heard a priest say that if religion were a matter of intellect then all intelligent people would have the same religion. The same is true of those who have served in a war.

- Collapse -
like i said

theres the people who served, and then theres the people who never served.
and then theres the people who never fought in battle.

i feel sorry for cindys son as shes trashed it.yes she has the right to speak out, her son reupped to serve again shes forgotten that.
and her supporters are useing her.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) When did Bush serve in a war?
- Collapse -
he was in service

how many here can say that diana?

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That wasn't my question
- Collapse -
your righht he asked to go fight

did that answer your question. but he served his full time.
now lets take kerry the man i dispise he took the easy way out a loop hole. a man who would sell us out again

- Collapse -
You're the only one who asserts that he asked to go fight

Do you have any proof?

You are all over anyone that didn't fight in a war as not understanding anything yet you lambast Kerry who did and give Bush a pass who didn't. Why is that?

Diana

- Collapse -
Diana........

Mark is right about Bush trying to get in the war. There are a lot of posts in SE with the proof of that! And why he didn't make it overseas. Keery was in the war all of FOUR months, and got out early. What I ask is why you all ignore the lies he told? Such as being in Cambodia on Christmas day and in his own memoirs and other peoples recollections he was NEVER even close!

- Collapse -
your a mod

me thinks you can use search and see where bush wanted to go
and as to the jerk kerry ask his men how he got wounded 4 times i served 2 yrs got 1 wound and i was in front lines or what we called front lines.
take your leassons from that

- Collapse -
This has been discussed before

Some prefer to believe the authors of forged memos, rather than those who will go on the record to assert this claim. It would be worthless to post the links yet AGAIN Sad

- Collapse -
served 2 yrs got 1 wound

Some probably didn't finish their first day and are dead.

Length of time in nam and number of wounds is not proportional.

- Collapse -
jp thats bs

i did two full tours, and yes i saw men die in front of me.
kerry took the easy way out his "so called wounds" werent bad he could have staid the full time, whats evan more scary as he used a loophole.
i staid full 2 yrs wait i lied left nam 4 days early on 2nd tour.

- Collapse -
have it your way?

Nit-picking GP but Murtha is a Dem., unless you're saying you wish he was a Rep? LOL

- Collapse -
Utopia isn't here nor in the near future...

and until that time the type of support you appear to be advocating (everything negative you can come up with or invent) is a morale buster rather than booster and makes a difficult job even more so.

You like to grouse and complain and spread non-factual and negative "information", thank a vet for that because the news media that pushes the same line and the protestors and draft card burners did exactly nothing to enable your ability to do so.

Freedom of speech really has never been all that free--it just hasn't been paid for by those who abuse it the most.

- Collapse -
grandpa please take a pill

if you had 1 tenth of eds credibility you wouldnt spout off like a rocket and wind up a dud.
all you do is complain

CNET Forums

Forum Info