Speakeasy forum

General discussion

She might as well stay home?

by JP Bill / March 22, 2010 12:52 AM PDT
University to Ann Coulter: Please watch your mouth

Francois Houle, vice-president academic and provost, advises Ms. Coulter, who holds a law degree, to review Canada's hate speech and defamation laws before giving her talk at the university.

In an email sent to Ms. Coulter on Friday, a copy of which has been obtained by the National Post, Mr. Houle wrote: "Our domestic laws, both provincial and federal, delineate freedom of expression (or "free speech") in a manner that is somewhat different than the approach taken in the United States. I therefore encourage you to educate yourself, if need be, as to what is acceptable in Canada and to do so before your planned visit here."

He continued, "Promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges."

After also mentioning defamation law, the provost wrote, "I therefore ask you, while you are a guest on our campus, to weigh your words with respect and civility in mind."

Notice they said "please"
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: She might as well stay home?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: She might as well stay home?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Was she invited
by Angeline Booher / March 22, 2010 1:24 AM PDT

...... to speak?

As it was at educational institutions, perhaps it was part of studies related to extremism. I admit she would serve as a text-book example of an extremist.

Angeline

Collapse -
She was invited
by JP Bill / March 22, 2010 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Was she invited

by the University that sent her the "warning".

Collapse -
Prior restraint..
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Was she invited

but then it's Canada, so freedom of speech not an option.

a text-book example of an extremist.

Not too biased, are we?

Collapse -
I see you don't think it is nice
by Angeline Booher / March 22, 2010 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Prior restraint..

..... to not be a fan of hate mongers.

Angeline

Collapse -
That is YOUR opinion.....
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 2:00 AM PDT

I don't think it is nice to tell someone in advance that they may not say or discuss certain things, assuming in advance that they will say something offensive. The fact is, this person is likely to be offended by her no matter what she says.

The "warning" was rude and stupid.

YOU consider her to be a hate monger, but that opinion does not make you right.

Collapse -
(NT) Neither does it make me wrong.
by Angeline Booher / March 22, 2010 3:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: tell someone in advance that they may not say or
by JP Bill / March 22, 2010 3:45 AM PDT

tell someone in advance that they may not say or discuss certain things

Such as

Promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate,

it would be acceptable to you?

Collapse -
Warning not so rude and stupid
by Roger NC / March 22, 2010 10:03 AM PDT

It was a request she abide by their rules and laws.

Try going to any US university and preach racism or Nazism. Or maybe you're part of the crowd that claims any prior restraint, even just pointing out rules, is wrong.

Do you rather they should wait till after she violates their laws, throw her in jail, and tell her ignorance of the law is no excuse?

Defining hate monger is always going to be a personal perception I suppose, but I see no way anyone would deny she thrives on being controversial, even using insults to achieve her fame. Not much different than Howard Stern, Al Sharpton or Russ Limbaugh in tactics, but I may grant a modicum more restrained.

Some people, and we all know some, love to disagree and cause upheaval for any cause....indeed, often for no cause, just enjoying bellicosity and discord.

Roger

Collapse -
Try going to any US university and preach racism or Nazism
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 10:26 AM PDT

Didn't Columbia host Ahmadinejad last year?

Why do you assume Coulter will preach racism or Nazism or anything like that?

Why do you assume she will break their laws? Do they "warn" ALL their speakers in such and insulting fashion? It's ridiculous. The "warning" is just the guy's prejudice, based on the fact that she does not share his philosophy. It was exceedingly stupid and rude.

Aside from that, don't you see the inherent wrongness of "hate speech laws?" Think correct thoughts, comrade.

Collapse -
I believe that the warning came after her prior address
by Ziks511 / March 25, 2010 12:53 AM PDT

to another University's audience, rather than before she left the States.

Then again Farley Mowat, a Canadian author of substantial repute has been denied access to the United States for decades for opposing US training flights over Canadian soil. And no, he doesn't write Marxist tracts, mostly he writes fiction drawn from his life and love of wildlife. Examples People of the Deer, Never Cry Wolf, The Dog Who Wouldn't Be, or memoirs of his time with the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment in Italy during WW2.

So perhaps it is he who is without sin who should cast the first stone. Assuming you can find a sinless person, which is exactly the point Jesus was making.

rob

Collapse -
"hate monger"?
by James Denison / March 22, 2010 2:04 AM PDT

I think you should choose your words more carefully. I suppose one of us should have sent you a warning in advance.

Collapse -
Old saying....
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: "hate monger"?

When you point your finger there are three more fingers pointing back at you.

Collapse -
Ann Coulter has no fingers?
by JP Bill / March 22, 2010 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Old saying....

maybe you think she doesn't point.

Collapse -
That was meant to "point out"
by Angeline Booher / March 22, 2010 6:53 AM PDT

.... (no pun intended) that because I consider her a hate monger makes me one of the same.

Angeline

Collapse -
Not exactly...
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 8:20 AM PDT

but you get the drift.

Collapse -
Some examples of WHY Ann Coulter should stay home
by JP Bill / March 22, 2010 5:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
"Left wing tolerance"
by Mike_Hanks / March 22, 2010 9:33 PM PDT

Oxymoron

Collapse -
Right wing tolerance
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 23, 2010 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: "Left wing tolerance"

Hyperbole.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Exceptional, Mark !! ROFL Rob
by Ziks511 / March 25, 2010 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Right wing tolerance
Collapse -
Is this acceptable behavior to you?
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 2:05 AM PDT
In Ottawa, the president of the student federation barred a volunteer organizer from putting up posters advertising the upcoming appearance.

Sounds hateful to me. Would it be okay in North Korea or would you be protesting?
Collapse -
North Korea?
by Angeline Booher / March 22, 2010 6:59 AM PDT

How did that get in here

Or are you now implying I am a communist sympathizer? Sad

Angeline

Collapse -
It's NOT about YOU...
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: North Korea?

Geeeez! At least attempt to read the post.

Not allowing a volunteer to put up a poster announcing a speaker is very much the kind of thing you might find in North Korea, China, Venezuela, for instance.

Do you sanction such behavior?

Collapse -
Get a grip!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2010 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: It's NOT about YOU...

"Would it be okay in North Korea or would you be protesting?"

I highlighted that just in case you missed what you typed. Seems to me you were talking about Angeline

Geez,you need to get a grip.

Mark

Collapse -
You have to read and understand the posts...
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Get a grip!

I was ASKING Angeline what she thought of this decidedly N Korean-like action. That is very obvious if you READ instead of following your prejudices.

I did not in any way do what she was saying, calling her a communist sympathizer.

I think YOU are the one who needs to get a grip, or at least learn to read.

Collapse -
patronising and obnoxious
by jonah jones / March 22, 2010 9:27 PM PDT

why does it always surprise you that some people
don't read and understand things the way you do?

Collapse -
So, you assign your own meanings...
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 9:34 PM PDT

to things when you read them? That must be interesting. It does explain a few things though.

I prefer to try to discern what the person who wrote it actually meanta and what the words actually mean. Radical, I know.

Collapse -
(NT) point proven
by jonah jones / March 22, 2010 11:06 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you.
by EdHannigan / March 22, 2010 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: point proven

I was very happy to prove you wrong again.

Collapse -
So nice, Ed, to see you happy.
by Kees Bakker / March 22, 2010 11:13 PM PDT

Doesn't happen often.

Kees

Collapse -
RE: Doesn't happen often.
by JP Bill / March 23, 2010 1:02 AM PDT

and it doesn't last long.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?