Question

Sharing WLM directory between WXP and Win7

I'm using 2 computers at home, a desktop with WXP SP2 and a laptop with Win7. The computers are connected in a workgroup in a home network. I'm using WLM and I'd like both computers to share the same directory on the desktop. Since telling WLM on the laptop to use the shared directory, when I open WLM on the laptop I get error 0x80070057 (calendar contains corrupt data, even though I don't use calendar), and all I can do is close it.
Is it possible to share the WLM directory between the 2 computers (WinXP and Win7), allowing me to access my mail from either one?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sharing WLM directory between WXP and Win7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sharing WLM directory between WXP and Win7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.

Microsoft does not appear to support this and it is very possible that the data inside these binary data stores could differ.

As to sharing gaffes and permissions I can't see this as the issue here. But you can check your work on share and file permissions just in case.
Bob

- Collapse -
Win 7 Workgroup

Yep Bob, Win 7 specifically states, when setting up a Workgroup between Win 7 computers, no mention of other operating systems, I think you are right, won't work. I do wonder IF upgrading to Win 7 Ultimate on the Win 7 system might not allow that to be done.

- Collapse -
To that, it MIGHT work.

But the app is not one tested for multiple access. It could be that one machine when it boots runs WLM and WLM locks a file.

Yes it could be accounts and permissions again but you are asking for something that is not a feature.

I'd be looking at replacing this app.
Bob

- Collapse -
Problem only with WLM

I'm actually sharing directories on the desktop (WXP) with the laptop (Win7) without problems. What I can't do is sharing the WLM directories on the desktop. WLM on Win7 stopped working at all.
Do you know if Outlook 2007 (I have it on both computers) will allow sharing? And can I transfer my WLM content to Outlook 2007?
Helga

- Collapse -
No. Outlook 2007 does not support "sharing" at the same time

I do know that one at a time use is possible but for sharing you have to get Exchange Server (a Microsoft product) up and running.
Bob

CNET Forums