Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

sharing Vista SP1 laptop wi-fi with XP Pro desktop

by ranman96734 / September 19, 2008 7:47 PM PDT

I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to computers but despite my greatest efforts I simply cannot get this to work... here is the situation

I have a desktop sans Wi-Fi capability running XP pro SP3 that I've got hooked up via ethernet to my laptop running Vista Home Premium SP1...

My question is how can I use the wi-fi connection on my laptop to give my desktop internet?

I already have my Wi-fi connection set up to be shared... I've tried manually setting the IP addressed to something like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and then setting the gateways to each other... that didn't work... and I've finally given up, any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sharing Vista SP1 laptop wi-fi with XP Pro desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sharing Vista SP1 laptop wi-fi with XP Pro desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: sharing Internet
by Kees Bakker / September 19, 2008 7:59 PM PDT

Two ways:

1. The software way (use Internet Connection Sharing=ICS) on the Vista laptop. Details, for example, in http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/bfd3bd31-82f0-4b9c-9cde-fb92bc2b14771033.mspx

2. The hardware way: Add a wireless card to your desktop, so it can run independently of the laptop. Here's one: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
Note this is not a recommendation for the seller nor for this particular product. You can find many comparable products (also connecting to USB, if you prefer) and all shops have them.

If you already have the wireless router, I'd recommend to go the hardware way. ICS, although working, is somewhat outdated (it used to be useful in the good old days of dial-up).

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by ranman96734 / September 19, 2008 8:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: sharing Internet

I'm trying to use ICS, not interested in the hardware way of using money... I'm having trouble getting ICS to work thought that's what I was asking for help with.

Collapse -
Indeed.
by Kees Bakker / September 19, 2008 8:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

That was what you were asking for. So I gave a helpful link.

But I couldn't resist telling about the currently preferred alternative.

Anyway, I hope you get it up and running. It's certainly possible.

Kees

Collapse -
Possible but the lesson on ICS is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 11:39 PM PDT

It doesn't always work, is finicky and some never get it to work. The number one and two reasons I find it to not be working is the firewall and the second is the owner doesn't have a grasp on TCPIP and networking in general.
Bob

Collapse -
Can anyone help with the problem?
by ranman96734 / September 20, 2008 7:20 AM PDT

So, thanks I've got a good understanding of TCP/IP I mean... I don't know what SYN/Ack packets do or anything but I know what a subnet is and how to set up a VLAN... so yeah... I think it has something to do with the services running or not running, I just don't know which ones.

I'm not interested in any alternatives, I only use this desktop to do 3D editing and the only time it's connected to the internet is when I need to download a new program, so buying another wi-fi card or adapter isn't something I'm really interested in...

Just want to have my desktop use my laptops wi-fi...

Collapse -
Looking at your posts
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 7:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hmm
by ranman96734 / September 20, 2008 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Looking at your posts

I've tried just about everything... It's something with the desktop I think... I'll post here if I figure it out

Collapse -
Any clues could offer an idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

You didn't tell how you wired it up or what cable you used and more. No details about if the other machine got it's IP and more.
Bob

Collapse -
Details
by ranman96734 / September 20, 2008 9:52 AM PDT

I have a cross over cable and regular ethernet cable, neither worked, I have let them configure automatically and tried setting to 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and setting their gateways to each other... the desktop has two ehternet jacks a nvidia nforce whatever and a marvel yukon, the drivers are up to date. I've tried the connection from both. I've restarted both computers, enabled and disabled connection sharing, it appears that the desktop can recieve packets but can't send anything out.. the laptop has stuff going both ways, the event manager doesn't show any errors.

I've also tried setting up a network bridge.

On the laptop side I have NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller... and the wi-fi adapter is a broadcom something something.

I'm going to buy a wi-fi adapter. **** this.

Collapse -
also
by ranman96734 / September 20, 2008 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Details

I can ping the desktop from the laptop but i can't ping the laptop from the desktop

Collapse -
SUCCESS!
by ranman96734 / September 20, 2008 9:58 AM PDT

I restarted the desktop one more time after re-installing the network card drivers and TA-DA it works! YAy! thanks guys sorry that was so ridiculously hard

Collapse -
Good job. Thanks for letting us know.
by Kees Bakker / September 20, 2008 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: SUCCESS!

And glad you got it working.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!