Computer Help forum

General discussion

Sharing two monitors off of one RGB output

Background:
I have an nVidia PCIe graphics card capable of handling two monitors (one via DVI and one via RGB). I currently have a 17" DVI monitor hooked up, as well as a 15" analog/RGB monitor. I recently purchased a 32" LCD HDTV, which has an input for RGB and can be used as a monitor.

Issue:
I have three monitors, with only two outputs. The 15" monitor and the 32" TV are in different locations, so I would use them for different things.

Goal:
To easily switch between the two monitors without losing much quality. I need to be able to output 1366x768 @ 60 Hz to the LCD TV. I don't want to switch the cables to the output all the time. There MUST be some sort of inexpensive switch out there which will accomplish this task.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharing two monitors off of one RGB output
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharing two monitors off of one RGB output
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure

In reply to: Sharing two monitors off of one RGB output

Though by RGB do you mean SVGA or Composite? You'll need to know which you have before you can get the proper device.

Anyway, what you want is a basic A/B switch, and your best bet at finding one would probably be your local Radio Shack. I would strongly recommend getting one that has manual buttons to push in order to switch outputs.

You could probably also use a KVM switch to do this as well. Just ignoring the keyboard and mouse hookups. Though a KVM switch is likely only to work with SVGA. If you need Composite, you'll have to go to Radio Shack or a similar sort of electronics parts store.

Collapse -
It's an SVGA output.

In reply to: Sure

Collapse -
Technically

In reply to: It's an SVGA output.

It wouldn't be VGA, but all of those tend to get lumped under the VGA name.

You'll want to be careful if you're going to be switching between letterbox and widescreen resolutions however. That could have some unintended consequences. There's no way I'm aware of to automatically adjust those, though there are tools that can help make it a bit easier.

Collapse -
That could have some unintended consequences.

In reply to: Technically

Hmm... is it bad that I don't fully understand what you are talking about with regard to widescreen vs. letterbox resolutions?

I figured the video card and software could just figure it out.

As far as 'unintended consequences' - anything permanent??

Thanks!

Collapse -
Problems

In reply to: That could have some unintended consequences.

I don't mean to step in on your thread here, but I think I know what the other post was trying to get at. When you try to send the signal from your computer's SVGA from your monitor which is most like a letterbox format (4:3 ratio) to a wide screen TV (16:8) you would have to go into your graphic settings manually and change your settings every time you switch between the two sources. Or you would have to leave the resolution as the wide screen format on your standard monitor which would not work very well I imagine (unless you already have a wide screen monitor). I don't think you need to worry about any permanent damage, it is more of a matter of convenience. If this is something you are going to use a lot, you may want to consider investing in a different video card, that has an S-video out (or other output compatible with your tv), or perhaps adding a secondary video card to run your TV or second monitor.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.