Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Sharing Printer through wireless network

by JSteinmetz / January 26, 2004 6:37 AM PST

Hi, I would like to share a printer wirelessly. I have a winxp home laptop and I have a win98se desktop. The printer would be hooked up to the desktop. I think I can figure out the networking thing (wish me luck) but I'm not sure if I can figure out how I can get the printer to be shared with the laptop. I checked through the posts in this forum and I didn't find any topics on this. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharing Printer through wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharing Printer through wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Sharing Printer through wireless network
by Michael Geist / January 26, 2004 10:06 AM PST

The basics are:

1) Establish a working wireless network (follow your manufacturers instructions)
2) Attach the printer to its host computer
3) Be able to print from the host
4) Enable File and Print sharing on the host
5) Set the printers properties to be shared
6) Add a network printer on the client via the Add Printer Wizard

Collapse -
Re:Sharing Printer through wireless network
by JSteinmetz / January 27, 2004 9:38 AM PST

When I try to add the printer from the other computer to my laptop, it tells me The server for the Brother mfc3100c printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. That computer is Win98se and the laptop is Winxp. I'm not sure what I should do now to make this work.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Sharing Printer through wireless network
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2004 11:05 AM PST

"The server for the Brother mfc3100c printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. That computer is Win98se and the laptop is Winxp. I'm not sure what I should do now to make this work"

I can't give you an exact click-here, there steps, but I usually tackle this in another method. I install the printer driver on the XP machine first, then try that again. OR I install the printer driver on the XP machine first and try changing the connection to the shared printer.

REMEMBER that some printers are not networkable due to driver issues. The vendors usually note this if this is so.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Sharing Printer through wireless network
by ronrep / July 30, 2004 10:00 AM PDT

Saw your message while scrolling,sorry it's 6 mo. later...had same problem w/ brother mfc 9700. Drove me nuts until I downloaded the "network drivers" from their site, meant to be used w/ their internal printserver. Didn't need the server, just the drivers. Seems to be a driver issue w/ XP,but not 98se. Good Luck.

Collapse -
Sharing printer
by frozen12 / March 26, 2008 3:52 PM PDT

You know, if you don't know the answer or can't even help in the slightest way, one should not feel obligated to submit a post. It just fills up the page with nothingness. OK, getting to this thing about drivers and sharing a printer on a wireless network. If the printer is abled to be shared, you still may need to install the drivers on the client machine (in this case the laptop.) This seems to be more of an issue when sharing on a wireless network than sharing on a wired network. Don't know why but that is how it is. Anyway, windows will give you a choice of printers to install the drivers when you go through the "add a printer" in the control pannel. In the past, I have not found my spacific printer in this list. So what has worked for me is this. I close out of the "add a printer" window. If for some reason I have the software and driver already installed on the client computer I uninstall it through "add and remove programs." Then I go to the printer company website and download the latest software and drivers for my operating system (in my work it is either xp or vista.) Now, when you install the driver and software, it will ask you how this printer is going to be connected (that is of course if the printer driver has the ability to be shared.) Choose the "network" option and then choose that it is going to be a peer to peer connection (that is the case in this post.) Next, it will ask you for the host computer's name and the printer's name. You can find the host's name by going to the host computer and right click on "my computer" and choose the "computer name" tap. You can find the printer name by going to the host computer in control panel and goto "view installed printers." Then right click on the printer, and go to the sharing tab. If you have set up sharing for the printer, it will give you a name for the printer right below the check box. You can changed this name if you want. So you go back to the client computer and you enter the host name of the computer and the name of the printer into the installation software. The rest should take care of itself and when install is finished, you should be able to print from the laptop. I hope this helps as this is what has worked for me. For some reason, setting up printer sharing on a wireless network takes a little more effort than on a wired network.

Collapse -
You must be frozen
by PudgyOne / March 26, 2008 7:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Sharing printer

This post is almost 4 years old.

Person might have bought a new rinter by now.

Rick

Collapse -
Yah........
by frozen12 / March 27, 2008 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: You must be frozen

Yah, I didn't see that the post was so old at first but maybe my post will help someone else. Take care.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.